Good 18650s that will fit my bored 6p?

Bright_Light

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,

I was wanting to buy some 18650s for my Oveready Surefire 6p that was bored to 18.65mm. Has anyone bought 18650 cells recently so I can confirm they will fit? I would like a protected cell.

I was originally thinking about the Keeppower 3500s cells, but read conflicting information that may be 18.77mm in diameter.

Thanks

ferthur

Newly Enlightened
Assuming I'm reading my vernier calipers correctly, the KeepPower I have on hand (PN: P1835J) is ~18.55mm at what appears to be the widest point.

Regardless, a protected cell will be a tighter fit than a mostly-bare 18650 due to the wire that needs to go down the side to connect the positive and negative terminals.

Bright_Light

Newly Enlightened
Assuming I'm reading my vernier calipers correctly, the KeepPower I have on hand (PN: P1835J) is ~18.55mm at what appears to be the widest point.

Regardless, a protected cell will be a tighter fit than a mostly-bare 18650 due to the wire that needs to go down the side to connect the positive and negative terminals.

How long ago did you buy these and from where? Thanks

ferthur

Newly Enlightened
Thank you. I love Illumn! That's where I get my 16650s from.

Yeah, they're great folks. Almost always my go to supplier for cells, I think the only time I've deviated is for group buys related to lights. Like Liionwholesale had a deal when the BLF Q8 was coming out, you could get four button top 30Q for like $5 each or something.

Bright_Light

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, they're great folks. Almost always my go to supplier for cells, I think the only time I've deviated is for group buys related to lights. Like Liionwholesale had a deal when the BLF Q8 was coming out, you could get four button top 30Q for like $5 each or something.

Yeah, Craig is awesome.

The only thing that gets me about these cells is you have two people reporting that they are bigger at the end of this thread.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...f-Keeppower-18650-3500mAh-P1835J-(Black)-2019

Maybe their tolerances can vary?

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
When measuring a protected cell diameter, make sure every point of top to middle, to bottom of cell and turn the cell at least 180 degree to get the highest reading.

ferthur

Newly Enlightened
When measuring a protected cell diameter, make sure every point of top to middle, to bottom of cell and turn the cell at least 180 degree to get the highest reading.

Yes, to compensate for the lead that goes down the side of the cell, plus the additional wrapper. However, it is far easier to see the difference on a digital caliper over a vernier scale, at least with my eyes.

akula88

Enlightened
My KP18650-3500mAh are fat.

liNvk8Y.jpg

Croquette

Enlightened
It probably won't help a lot but I have two bored oveready 6p and both have different internal diameter.
You should buy a battery and see if it fits...

LogansRun

Newly Enlightened
It probably won't help a lot but I have two bored oveready 6p and both have different internal diameter.
You should buy a battery and see if it fits...
Same... I have several 6p's, Z2's and C2's and majority will take my Sanyo NCR18650GA's, Samsung 30Q's and a Panasonic NCR18650A - even the flat tops - while one Z2 I have in particular will not take an older Efest 18650 or a Panasonic NCR18650B (button top, protected cell).

I found that boring tolerances, as well as battery widths, vary and even a small amount will determine if a battery fits or not. I would recommend to the OP that they may have to try different cells. Having said that, the good news from what I see is that the current Sanyo's, Samsung's and Sony/Murata's - and their re-wrapped cousins - seem to be closer in tolerances and fit more of my bored SF lights, than some of the slightly older 18650 cells.

Bright_Light

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for all they replies, everyone.

I just wanted to give you all an update. I bought the Keeppower 18650 3500mAh (PN: P1835J) from Malkoff Devices and it barely fits my 6p. I cant even shake the battery out and have to take the 6p head off to push it out. I even took off the label and that didn't help any. I know Olight makes some slim cells but they are pricey. I might just go with some unprotected cells.

I bought this 6p back in 2012 and I think Oveready was boring them out to 18.65mm if I remember coreectly. I don't have a caliper to measure the battery diameter or 6p bore size.

Thanks again!

Bright_Light

Newly Enlightened
Update: I ended up going with the Molicel M35A 3500mAh unprotected cells. They fit just right and slide freely. Not much play at all, but they do fit.

I'll be using these cells with a Malkoff M61L/M60, so I'll be able to tell when it's starts to dim so I won't damage the batteries.