New GE/Tungsram Nighthawk Platinum 9004 technology ??????

Cadchris

Newly Enlightened
I gather this is the same bulb as the GE NHP under the parant company Tungsram........but wait.....there's more.

"One of these things is NOT like the other"!!!!......at least not on Sesame STREET! LoL......

Is this a photo-shopped 9004?
Or am I seeing a new type of Hungarian 9004 bulb-technology with no "bulb shield thingy" on the top that looks like a DQ Hard-shell Choc. Dipped cone and without the blue-tinted stripe on the upper part of the capsule......?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08B8YC2YY/?tag=cpf0b6-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002UX5CHG/?tag=cpf0b6-20

https://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-Lighting-9004-Headlight-Nighthawk-Platinum-Halogen-2-Pack/882820421

I just got out my old stash of 9004 NHP's and they all have the silver round top with blue-tint-stripe at the top of the capsule in the old silver/black blister packaging.
:shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Sorry, no new kind of magic technology, somebody just wasn't paying close enough attention to the photos they put out, and sent some placeholder-type images instead of final ones, with unfinished bulbs (no blacktop, no QC checks to cull out bulbs with filaments skewed out of position). Not a very good advertisement for product quality!

Those smooth-top bulbs aren't new, they were characteristic of GE 9004s and 9007s (made in USA) for many years. In some cases (made in Mexico) they still are, and in other cases (bought from other makers) they no longer are, such as these German ones. the smooth-top bulbs have the exhaust tube down at the bottom instead of the tip. It's just a production process difference and does not affect any aspect of the bulb's output, performance, durability, etc.

In all cases, 9004 and 9007 bulbs have blacktop (of whatever color) or they are not 9004s/9007s.

Cadchris

Newly Enlightened
Gee.....is there a Lawyer in the House!!!!!!!!

I kept looking at that bulb thinking, maybe there's some kind of a new technology with a reverse optic "beaming or magnifying" the light backwards!

How many believers are going to buy that bulb, thinking "More Light from my 9004 without that darn black top", then when they get it, are deeply disappointed and install it anyway.....I was almost going to buy one but figured I better "Check-in", before :Checking out". Literally these days......!

I wonder if this new bulb looks like my old NHP with the blue stripe. Just for the heck of it, and after reading a thread about removing the "Blue Coating on a halogen" I took a razor blade to my GE-NHP the other day, and it does scrape off easily and is a thicker stripe vs. the Philips Extreme Vision that has the thinner stripe.

Does the Philips Extreme Vision with the chrome-top perform any better and/or reflect more light back into the housing?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C5QY6TC/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Last edited:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I kept looking at that bulb thinking, maybe there's some kind of a new technology with a reverse optic "beaming or magnifying" the light backwards!
No. The only optical function the envelope of the bulb performs is letting light through it with minimal distortion so that the lamp optics can properly focus the light.

Does the Philips Extreme Vision with the chrome-top perform any better and/or reflect more light back into the housing?
The blacktop (whatever the color) has no other function than to help prevent direct viewing of the filament from outside the lamp. There is NO OTHER FUNCTION. It does not "reflect light back into the housing" or otherwise enhance performance of the bulb.

Also, in your previous post in this thread, you had unfathomable amounts of font and color tagging, which I removed. Please do not use Word or other rich text editors to compose posts. It just wastes CPU/GPU time for the servers and the readers of the posts, and increases bandwidth and storage used.

Last edited:

Cadchris

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Alaric, I pasted my text from an e-mail, and it pasted green in color, but I corrected it immediately by changing the text here back to black. It looked fine when viewing it on the thread. You saw it as colorful? I won't do that again, but sometimes the page refreshes for some reason, and I loose my entire post.

I'm eventually going to try the Philips Extreme Vision .....take that GE!!!!
I really wish they would've made the NH Xenon in the 9004......maybe it's not possible, or could they make a better 9004 if any of the big-names wanted to?
Group Buy!!!!!!:twothumbs

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
You saw it as colorful?
I saw the font was different, and it was all black but I saw tons of [color=#00FF00] and [FONT=fontname] tagging in it when I went to quote you.

I really wish they would've made the NH Xenon in the 9004......maybe it's not possible, or could they make a better 9004 if any of the big-names wanted to?
Why would it not be possible? From a technical standpoint it IS. It's just not profitable. The sole reason any for-profit company makes any decision is to make a profit.

Last edited: