Acebeam        
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Pandemic-the light at the end of the tunnel

Default Re: Pandemic-the light at the end of the tunnel

6 out of almost 7 million. If you took 7 million people and gave each of them an Advil, I would imagine the number would be similar. Can they directly blame it on the vaccine? And who are these people? They only said women 18-48 that I can see. Is it possible all 6 individuals do not exercise at all and eat at Waffle House twice a week?

It would be important to know more information. Instead the news sites plaster this all over, which is doing absolutely nothing to further the vaccination efforts.
    GOOD TINT!

*Flashaholic*

Yeah, I saw the gloom and doom news stories about this today. Then I found out it was only 6 people. I understand they're doing this out of "an abundance of caution" but haven't they considered that one possible side effect of pulling the vaccine now will be to make some of those on the fence more reluctant to get vaccinated, even with Pfizer or Moderna? Like you said, 6 complications out of almost 7 million doses could easily be chalked up to random health issues.

A guy on the radio said 38 million cases of flu were reported in the US in 2019. He followed it up by saying one thousand eight hundred cases have been reported this year as of mid-March.
    That's crazy... in a good way.

Last year I had the worst allergy issues in years. This year, so far nowhere near as bad even though the air where I live has a yellow tinge when seen at a distance.

I don't know if the mask works to help with the pandemic or not but it sure does seem to have made an impact on the flu and allergy conditions in the US. Well that and office dwellers working at home.
    John 3:16

I heard a physician on the radio this morning who said that you're far more likely to get a blood clot from Covid than from the vaccine. This lines up with other information I've seen last year where they found that Covid was causing clotting in some patients.

*Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    A guy on the radio said 38 million cases of flu were reported in the US in 2019. He followed it up by saying one thousand eight hundred cases have been reported this year as of mid-March.

Last year I had the worst allergy issues in years. This year, so far nowhere near as bad even though the air where I live has a yellow tinge when seen at a distance.

I don't know if the mask works to help with the pandemic or not but it sure does seem to have made an impact on the flu and allergy conditions in the US. Well that and office dwellers working at home.
    Here's how I look at it. They regularly wear these masks in Chinese cities where the pollution looks thick enough to cut with a knife. Evidently the masks help a lot with that, so doubtless they're also helpful for allergies, as well as the flu. The flu numbers are amazing if true. And yeah, people staying home more helps a lot also.

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post

Did the guy on the radio offer any explanation for this? If the low number of flu cases is due to people wearing masks and all the other precautions why are people still becoming ill from COVID? Common sense leads one to believe, either a lot of those COVID cases were actually the flu or masks work better at preventing the flu than they do preventing COVID.
    Sometimes I wonder if I've purchased my last flashlight.

Mask wearing, hand washing and “social distancing” are generally a good way to prevent infectious disease spread. The numbers are still high due to the fact that Covid specifically is more contagious than an average flu, and there is still a portion of the population that don’t understand or care about protecting themselves
    or others; along with the many people who must remain out and about so that we all may keep living the way we are used to.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    -- Albert Einstein

The guy on the radio said "we've evidently cured the flu" lol.
    CG, it was a replay by a prominent talk show host who just went to the golden EIB microphone in the sky.

i went to pharmacy friday and forgot to put on mask now i know i may have dementia
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Raggie- A couple of weeks ago I made it about 50 feet into our grocery store with a cart before realizing I'd left my mask in the car. You'd think after a year it would be second nature. It's not just you...
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

Quote Originally Posted by raggie33 View Post
    i went to pharmacy friday and forgot to put on mask now i know i may have dementia
    I've forgotten my mask a dozen times or more. I took a walk last night and was going to go into several stores but realized I didn't take a mask with me. People have spent 20-50+ years without ever masking and to expect them to be able to fend off a "maskless" habit is expecting a lot IMO.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Quote Originally Posted by jtr1962 View Post
    Yeah, I saw the gloom and doom news stories about this today. Then I found out it was only 6 people. I understand they're doing this out of "an abundance of caution" but haven't they considered that one possible side effect of pulling the vaccine now will be to make some of those on the fence more reluctant to get vaccinated, even with Pfizer or Moderna? Like you said, 6 complications out of almost 7 million doses could easily be chalked up to random health issues.

‘It felt like I couldn’t breathe’: Personal reaction to the Johnson and Johnson vaccine

Big bold headlines like this on my local news site are totally counterproductive to what we're trying to accomplish. Report the news. Don't hide the fact people had a reaction, but don't make a huge spectacle of it either.

Sexy news headlines and clickbait always win.
    GOOD TINT!

Quote Originally Posted by PhotonWrangler View Post
    I heard a physician on the radio this morning who said that you're far more likely to get a blood clot from Covid than from the vaccine. This lines up with other information I've seen last year where they found that Covid was causing clotting in some patients.
    Of the 4 family members we lost to covid, one lost all 10 toes from clots and half of one finger before they succumbed to it. I'd take my chances with any vaccine before getting covid.
    This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.
    Be prepared for the truth.

CDC website says some 900,000 Americans get blood clots annually with 60,000-100,000 dying from them. So, 1 death out of 7,500,000 is several orders of magnitude better than your normal odds of getting and dying from blood clots. If there is any connection it must be an exceptionally rare condition those ladies have that would cause that reaction.

In my age range, 2143x more likely to die from covid than a clot from the shot.

Both Rona and J&J shot are trying to kill me! Take a number and get in line...behind the flaming meteor.
    GOOD TINT!

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    Did the guy on the radio offer any explanation for this? If the low number of flu cases is due to people wearing masks and all the other precautions why are people still becoming ill from COVID? Common sense leads one to believe, either a lot of those COVID cases were actually the flu or masks work better at preventing the flu than they do preventing COVID.
    I can't say whether the numbers quoted are exactly true, but it does make sense. You have to consider how contagious a particular disease is. If something is extremely contagious, then you would expect that even with mitigation efforts, you're still going to have infections, though it probably won't be as high as without mitigation. If those same mitigation efforts also prevents the spread of another disease but is much less contagious, then you'd expect infection numbers of that disease to be much lower and mitigation efforts to be more effective.

And that's what we have here. COVID-19 is found to be more contagious than Flu.
    Who needs to see the light at the end of the tunnel when you have friends on CPF?
    My flashlight videos: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...9TIYcGeuBXa5m0

Ok, so I`m curious now, Hypothetically, if the planet had a complete lockdown for say 4 weeks or so, would it be possible to have gotten rid of flu entirely? A bit like we`re hoping to do with covid.

It would be kinda nice to have a flu as something written about in history books.

Quote Originally Posted by Katherine Alicia View Post
    Ok, so I`m curious now, Hypothetically, if the planet had a complete lockdown for say 4 weeks or so, would it be possible to have gotten rid of flu entirely? A bit like we`re hoping to do with covid.

It would be kinda nice to have a flu as something written about in history books.
    I wouldn't think so. You'd have to have every single person in the entire world isolated for that time period. And that's assuming that there does not exist any other carriers of the disease, because there might be other animals or insects that is not necessarily be affected by the disease but can carry it and keep it alive until it infects a human host.

And to add to that, there very well could be certain surfaces, environments, or circumstances that can harbor the disease for an extended period of time just waiting to infect a human host.
    Last edited by badtziscool; 04-15-2021 at 10:16 AM.
    Who needs to see the light at the end of the tunnel when you have friends on CPF?
    My flashlight videos: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...9TIYcGeuBXa5m0

Would have to see how long can it live on surfaces and other long-dormant infection vectors.

FYI, the 2 tests out that can tell the difference between 'natural' covid and 'vaccine' covid are called...

sars cov 2 antibody and sars cov 2 spike antibody

Saw lab results yesterday from a patient that had both test run simultaneously.

*Flashaholic*

Well, there are universal flu vaccines in the works. If successful, we could be on the way to dramatically reducing the number of flu cases. We probably won't get rid of it entirely, however. We've only successfully eradicated a few diseases. The idea is to make it so uncommon that it's no longer a problem.

Flu usually starts in birds and spreads to people as it mutates, sometimes going through another animal in between birds and humans. Flu usually breaks out first in places where high densities of people and birds/farm animals are close contact such as parts of China. So as long as birds/farm animals have flu people will get it too.

Pity really, I thought Now would have been a good time to finish it off while it`s on the back foot so to speak.

*Flashaholic*

Pity really, I thought Now would have been a good time to finish it off while it`s on the back foot so to speak.
    I'm wondering if we might have very low flu numbers at least for the next few years because we have flu "on the ropes" now, so to speak. Some of the measures we've taken during the pandemic, especially washing hands, will probably stay with us for a long time. I plan to wear masks when going in indoor public places for a while, maybe forever, even once this is officially over. I figure it can't hurt. It might actually keep me from getting sick. Then you have the improvements to air filtration some places made. So long as the filters are maintained (that's a big if), then that could help, also. And it looks like hand-shaking might actually be a thing of the past. Can't say how happy I am about that. Not a custom I really cared for to start with.

The nice thing is most contagious diseases spread a lot less easily than covid. We have measures to greatly slow their spread without affecting how we live, or killing the economy. Point of fact, these measures easily pay for themselves. Sick people represent a lot of lost productivity.

Covid also helped us advance the state of vaccination technology. Who knows what else mRNA vaccines will be used for in the future? Now modern medicine has another tool in the tool box.

Honestly, the flu numbers are likely to stay the same. Folks get the flu because it mutates and changes just enough year from year to keep causing infections. Causing folks to get flu shots every year. Even with Covid, there are now different strains of it. And, I suspect those strains were around much earlier than initially reported in the news. Maybe scientists knew about them back then, but didn't want to cause a mass panic.

I did mention seeing examples of discharged patients coming back a week or two later, re-infected with Covid; in a different topic on CPF. Caught a lot of heat for saying that, from some members. They insisted there was absolutely no way that could medically take place. Sure, I guess I shouldn't believe my lying eyes during my day-shift job at the medical facility. Now it all makes sense though. Many of the ones who got infected were those who treated Covid like it was just a mildly stronger flu to begin with. Didn't take it seriously. Got infected, got better, thought they were now immune; went back to the same reckless behavior as before. A week later, they were back at the facility; "re-infected." In truth, infected with a different strain of Covid. Which we now know, different strains are existing at the same time.

Unlike the flu, which thankfully usually shows up in one form any given year. Making it easier to deal with. But the numbers aren't likely to be less.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

Covid also helped us advance the state of vaccination technology. Who knows what else mRNA vaccines will be used for in the future? Now modern medicine has another tool in the tool box.
    Very interesting technology. They're even talking about cancer vaccines. But if we do start putting an end to more and more diseases, we're going to need more "big bad Monsanto" companies to keep up. Add in more housing and development, less farming, more people, climate change, the existing world hunger...whew, that's a whole other topic.

Pfizer says a third shot will likely be necessary within 12 months. We'll have people getting that before others even get their first. Welcome Rona, you are going nowhere, unfortunately.
    GOOD TINT!

*Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Very interesting technology. They're even talking about cancer vaccines. But if we do start putting an end to more and more diseases, we're going to need more "big bad Monsanto" companies to keep up. Add in more housing and development, less farming, more people, climate change, the existing world hunger...whew, that's a whole other topic.
    That's interesting about the cancer vaccine. I had mentioned that somewhere in the thread but I didn't know they were already thinking about it.

Don't sweat it too much about an "end to all diseases" scenario. Even if we do that, unless we also find a way to slow aging, most people will die from their organs wearing out somewhere between the age of 100 and 110, instead of 70s to 90s now. That will increase the population slightly, but not by much. I actually hope they find a cure for aging while I'm still alive. Life is too short, plus we're in really interesting times. We'll worry about the problems that creates as we go along.

Pfizer says a third shot will likely be necessary within 12 months. We'll have people getting that before others even get their first. Welcome Rona, you are going nowhere, unfortunately.
    Hopefully though we'll at least get down to manageable numbers and stay there. A few hundred new cases weekly, and a handful of deaths per week, is manageable. Where we are now isn't.

Hopefully though we'll at least get down to manageable numbers and stay there. A few hundred new cases weekly, and a handful of deaths per week, is manageable. Where we are now isn't.
    Right now is insane. Michigan has me stumped. India, unreal.
    Last edited by markr6; 04-16-2021 at 12:02 PM.
    GOOD TINT!

Seasonal allergies have plagued millions this year. Oh I suppose it's like any year. Mine had been less bothersome this year until recently. All at once WHAM! Major headache, dizziness, the works. The usual medicine did help but then I pulled a triathelon of hours at work and "uh oh"……I'm sick. Fever of 99.4. Then yesterday 99.6. My regular doctor was booked up so I went to a dox in a box figuring on getting some pills and be on my way. Their scale said I had lost some weight, which I kinda figured since my trousers feel a little looser. Their thermometer said my temp was a little below normal.

The doc walks in "what seems to be the problem?" so I begin to describe my symptoms. Headache, sneezing, dizzy, you know seasonal allergy stuff……but I've had a slight fever for 48 hours. "Any trouble breathing?" "Any cough?" "Been around anybody with covid?" no, no and no. She walks around me "lets see here" and listens to my lungs. "Any trouble breathing, any cough, been around anybody with covid?" uh, no. "we're going to give you a covid test"……but doc my ears are clogged, are you going to check my ears?
    This nice lady enters the room and jabs a cactus q-tip up my nose until it pushed out of my belly button……twice. Yikes! Some fifteen minutes goes by and another lady comes in and says "follow me to the xray machine". Huh? For clogged ears? She does a chest xray and says your covid test shows negative. Well duh. So here's comes this little Asian dude who says "we take blood"……again I'm thinking for clogged ears? He gets his sample and in comes the lady with the cactus qtip. We need to double check. So rinse and repeat. Ok so by now 2 hours have passed and nobody has checked my ears.

The doc comes back "are you sure you don't have trouble breathing, have a cough or been around anybody with covid?" I looked at Mrs Fixer as she's got this look of amazement on her face and say "well, when I have 35 minutes of intercourse with her (pointing to my wife) yeah I get winded"……"are you going to check my ears?" Another 30 minutes passes and here comes cactus qtip lady again. "We need to get one more to send to the lab, sometimes the quick tests aren't acurate." I said "last one today lady, my eyes are still watering from the first one. Then the doc comes back. She says "xrays show you have pnuemonia, so take these pills and if you do actually have an ear infection it'll clear that up too."

For some reason that woman has it in her head that I have covid 19 even though I live like a hermit, stay at least 6 feet from the few people I do see and wear a mask like you're supposed to. If it does turn out I have it I have no idea where it came from.

Oh and at 2am this morning my fever broke and I feel normal again except for clogged ears.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 05-04-2021 at 06:17 AM.

Sounds like she really wanted to find that Rona!

Looking at the recent news, it seems like everyone is kind of giving up on the herd immunity thing. I knew we'd hit a wall of reluctant people at some point, but I figured that would be around 50%. Only at 32% right now. Weak.
    GOOD TINT!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast