Malkoff        
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Pandemic-the light at the end of the tunnel

Default Re: Pandemic-the light at the end of the tunnel

The other day I had a radio program on in my vehicle when a contractor walked up to ask a question. He heard a guy on the news flash saying "we could return to normal soon". He chuckled and said "return to normal? Heck I never left there".

Then a car wizzed past driven by a guy wearing a mask. Dude remarked "he probably won't be back"…… he said "I like it here in normal now that all those crazy people have left". I understood what he meant. Life moves on. You adapt, enjoy what you can and keep going until the day your number is drawn for the big lottery in the sky.
    John 3:16

CDC Guidelines have been updated. The TL;DR looks to be if you're vaccinated you very nearly can live like it's The Before Times again.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

I hate to ask the obvious, but how do I know that the guy standing across from me wearing no mask has actually been fully vaccinated, and just isn’t one of those anti-maskers/anti -vaxxers anyway, and now has an “excuse?”

I’m editing this post to point out the very real current case of the 8 New York Yankee team members that have come down with COVID after the whole team had been fully vaccinated with the J&J vaccine. The CDC wants, no, expects me to trust that guy across from me with no mask? Are they just nuts?
    Last edited by wacbzz; 05-13-2021 at 07:00 PM.
    The beauty of Science bigly outranks the charms of superstition

Quote Originally Posted by wacbzz View Post
    I hate to ask the obvious, but how do I know that the guy standing across from me wearing no mask has actually been fully vaccinated,
    Short of inspecting a vaccine card (easily forged) you don't. But if you're vaccinated you also largely don't have to care.

and just isn’t one of those anti-maskers/anti -vaxxers anyway, and now has an “excuse?”
    VICE had an amusing story on the subject two days ago...
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

I hate to ask the obvious, but how do I know that the guy standing across from me wearing no mask has actually been fully vaccinated, and just isn’t one of those anti-maskers/anti -vaxxers anyway, and now has an “excuse?”

I’m editing this post to point out the very real current case of the 8 New York Yankee team members that have come down with COVID after the whole team had been fully vaccinated with the J&J vaccine. The CDC wants, no, expects me to trust that guy across from me with no mask? Are they just nuts?
    What's a no mask, and how does one go about wearing one?
    Sometimes I wonder if I've purchased my last flashlight.

My 'give a crap' meter has been bottomed out for a long time now... so I simply ask people, masked or not, near me if they have a vaccine yet. Then I sort of go from there. After losing 4 family members to this... I just don't care anymore.

On a good note, MS opens up 12+ vaccines tomorrow.
    This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.
    Be prepared for the truth.

You folks do know that vaccinated people can be infected and infect others even those who are vaccinated.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Arc View Post
    You folks do know that vaccinated people can be infected and infect others even those who are vaccinated.
    Current CDC breakthrough data says there's about a 1:10,000 chance. Better odds than any other option. And it's a moot point regardless. Get your shot(s). Encourage everyone you know to do the same.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/covid-1...ugh-cases.html

So 1% of .01% of vaccinated people died of COVID. I like those odds.

I got vaccinated about 2 months ago. I don't really care about the other guy lying about being vaccinated without a mask. If I was really worried I would keep wearing mine. If I was REALLY worried I would retire back to my sealed up home.

If we have to get tattoos proving vaccination, at least let me choose the color and design. Plain old numbers are boring.

I bet there are people that just won't let this go, though. The CDC, not exactly the bastion of careless decisions, announces this yesterday. I believe some people are so miserably negative and enjoy being under the thumb that they will argue against this. Keep "masking up" or else you're killing grandma. The excuses are out there, wait for them to come full force.
    Last edited by markr6; 05-14-2021 at 06:48 AM.
    GOOD TINT!

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    So 1% of .01% of vaccinated people died of COVID. I like those odds.
    So far..... you also have to add that figures for the 1% are cumulative adding in those who died early on and now with greatly improved medicine and treatment likely the chance of death for all but those who really need the vaccine is in the range of 0.2% and the chance of death because of reaction to the vaccine isn't added into the mix but likely insignificant.
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    I got vaccinated about 2 months ago. I don't really care about the other guy lying about being vaccinated without a mask. If I was really worried I would keep wearing mine. If I was REALLY worried I would retire back to my sealed up home.

If we have to get tattoos proving vaccination, at least let me choose the color and design. Plain old numbers are boring.

I bet there are people that just won't let this go, though. The CDC, not exactly the bastion of careless decisions, announces this yesterday. I believe some people are so miserably negative and enjoy being under the thumb that they will argue against this. Keep "masking up" or else you're killing grandma. The excuses are out there, wait for them to come full force.
    I don't think they will get by with tattoos, and the imaginary number of grandmas that would die by not masking with many people vaccinated may go below the imaginary number where people don't get all bent out of shape over.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynx_Arc View Post
    So far..... you also have to add that figures for the 1% are cumulative adding in those who died early on and now with greatly improved medicine and treatment likely the chance of death for all but those who really need the vaccine is in the range of 0.2% and the chance of death because of reaction to the vaccine isn't added into the mix but likely insignificant.
    No. There was no vaccine early on so that is obviously not what I am talking about. Look at the page cited. Of 95 million vaccinated, there were about 9500 breakthrough cases. Of those, about 132 died. That’s where my numbers came from.

They have finally said that we can go without masks after having the vaccine at some point in time (June 15 where I live). With all of my health problems including difficulty breathing while wearing a mask, I'm now going to get the vaccine soon. Hopefully, I'll be able to go to my doctor appointments maskless so I can breathe. They won't let me wear a face shield instead despite my breathing difficulties. I just hope they don't pull the rug out from under us after everyone gets vaccinated and say we still have to wear a mask anyways. People are bound to revolt then.

And there it is. Home Depot, Starbucks, Kroger, to name a few are holding the requirement. Not a big deal, but it's a great time to virtue signal to the max and not go along with the city, county, state, and now CDC. But in the end I guess it's their property; no shoes, no shirt, no mask, no service.
    GOOD TINT!

And there it is. Home Depot, Starbucks, Kroger, to name a few are holding the requirement. Not a big deal, but it's a great time to virtue signal to the max and not go along with the city, county, state, and now CDC. But in the end I guess it's their property; no shoes, no shirt, no mask, no service.
    I've been in Home Depot here without a mask, and Walmart too, before and after they changed their signs. Before they had signs that said local authorities mandated masks but it was 2 weeks before they finally took them down and replaced them with signs that they demand them but they didn't say a thing when I went there without a mask and there was a few others at that time without them there.
    I agree it is virtue signaling at this time when here in the city/state our infection rates were dropping before vaccines started already.

Wearing a mask, I no longer "shop" anywhere. I go in. Get what I want, and get on out the door ASAP. My mask is in my pocket within seconds of leaving the establishment. I just returned form a Home Depot. They have Mask Mandatory signs in place. Get in. Get out. Save money.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    Get in. Get out. Save money.
    LOL, so true!
    GOOD TINT!

LOL, so true!
    Straight up! When our sons were young .... back when they still wanted to spend time with dad, we'd walk every isle in Home Depot, and I'd let um touch anything they wanted. Those were some expensive outings. It's amazing the things you never knew you needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Gardiner View Post
    Get in. Get out. Save money.
    And buy flashlights!
    Who needs to see the light at the end of the tunnel when you have friends on CPF?
    My flashlight videos: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...9TIYcGeuBXa5m0

But in the end I guess it's their property; no shoes, no shirt, no mask, no service.
    Very true but they have to run a business as well and they will eventually go which ever way their customer base wants them to go. If Lowe’s decides to say the heck with masks and everyone goes there instead of HD, you can be sure HD will rescind their mask requirement. And likewise for any other establishment with competition.
    Who needs to see the light at the end of the tunnel when you have friends on CPF?

Quote Originally Posted by badtziscool View Post
    Very true but they have to run a business as well and they will eventually go which ever way their customer base wants them to go. If Lowe’s decides to say the heck with masks and everyone goes there instead of HD, you can be sure HD will rescind their mask requirement. And likewise for any other establishment with competition.
    I figure legal dept & insurance carrier w/ have a significant say in these decisions.

Also, with pfizer/moderna applying for full approval... how long till employers require the vaccine...

Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    I figure legal dept & insurance carrier w/ have a significant say in these decisions.

Also, with pfizer/moderna applying for full approval... how long till employers require the vaccine...
    Oh no doubt. I think the “return to normal” is going to be just as turbulent as it was when we went into “pandemic life”. It’ll be interesting for sure.

I imagine that in a couple of weeks, masks will be a thing of the past for most people, and pretty much all establishments.

Yesterday, we went into a supermarket, Publix, and the sign was down, but we, and most people still wore masks. Some wore chin straps, and others mask hats, but for the most part they were worn properly.

Last night I did a pick up at a pizza place. Their sign was also down. The place was more full than I had seen before, and of course no one seated was masked. The waiting staff still was, as was the three of us waiting in line for pick ups.

That'll change.
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

The other day on the radio a guy said less than 700 had perished from covid in the US and that was the best day since last March (as in 2020). Down an average of 22% in the last seven days.
    Meanwhile it rages on in other countries.

Sadly India seems to be like California was to New York a while ago, racing for the top spot in cases and deaths. 2 million new cases A WEEK!! Jiminey Cricket that's a lot.

Is it time to stop standing 6' apart, wearing a mask when unable and washing your hands often?
    Eh, I don't think so. If I'm in a gas station in line, a Home Depot or that sort of thing I'll still stand 6 feet away. Last evening the Mrs and I were in a store where nearly everybody had a face cover on. Shoot, right now where I live the pollen is so bad I wear one anyway.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 05-15-2021 at 06:42 AM.
    John 3:16

yeah, it`s really sad for India they`re like 10x the infection rate you guys have and yet their counrty is tiny compared to yours (in land mass terms), and what makes it worse is that they`re the least well equiped to deal with it too.

On a Brighter note, We`re all booked for a meal on the 14`th June this year for my daughters birthday, and it`ll be a week after my second shot (so not too bad), it`ll be so nice just to drink a coffee and eat a meal that someone else has made for a change!

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    Meanwhile it rages on in other countries.

Sadly India seems to be like California was to New York a while ago, racing for the top spot in cases and deaths. 2 million new cases A WEEK!! Jiminey Cricket that's a lot.

I had followed the stats _very_ closely since day 1. India had done quite well much to my surprise. I had though that due to their population density... it would be really bad there. Then I learned that their population is all pretty young... so they were going to dodge the bullet due to that. Well so much for that...

Time and time again covid has shown that the places that are doing well... have simply not gotten bad _yet_.

It also shown that places in decline will ramp back up at a moment's notice.

Edit: and if India is having 2M/week... that's still less than our new infections on a percentage basis. About 25% of our rate actually... so it could get a LOT worse for them.
    Last edited by turbodog; 05-15-2021 at 04:59 PM.

Signage requiring masks in retail areas are still up in the stores that I've seen and I think that's appropriate. I'm concerned that the CDC's statement the other day is going to cause some un-vaccinated people to throw caution to the wind. Let's get it right this time.
    Last edited by PhotonWrangler; 05-15-2021 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotonWrangler View Post
    Signage requiring masks in retail areas are still up in the stores that I've seen and I think that's appropriate. I'm concerned that the CDC's statement the other day is going to cause some un-vaccinated people to throw caution to the wind. Let's get it right this time.
    Since IMHO a large percentage of the unvaccinated will lie and go maskless. I'll bet most wearing masks (myself included) will be vaccinated.

Yesterday, I went to the supermarket to pick up a few things for dinner. There was no sign, so although I had a mask in my pocket, I didn't put it on. I am vaccinated. Some were wearing masks, some not. Most, if not all of the employees were wearing masks.

I felt guilty, not wearing a mask, when I had to approach a masked clerk, to ask... where the Gnocchi is in the store.
    Last edited by Poppy; 05-16-2021 at 05:56 AM. Reason: spelling
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast