1.5V Lithium battery?

PhotoTime

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I just realised that there are 1.5V rechargable AA and AAA Lithium battery in the market. How is the performance as compared to those LSD battery? Will they do any damages to the electronics?

Regards.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, there are indeed Li-Ion cells out there that are designed to fit into the AA form factor. They have voltage regulator circuitry that keeps them capped at 1.5 volts output. They use a micro-usb port to charge them. They don't seem to offer a greater charge capacity but they do claim to maintain 1.5V throughout the charge. I would only be concerned about the level at which the circuitry cuts out the Li-Ion cell since even 1.5V is waaay below the safe threshold for a typical Li-Ion cell.

HakanC

Newly Enlightened

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I haven't used any but from reading reviews you have to have a special charger and very likely with a DC/DC converter in them they will interfere with radios and maybe even some amplifiers.
Another thing of concern is items with battery meters in them likely these cells will just cuts out when the lithium ion battery voltage drops too low you won't see the battery level dropping at all.

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the KeepPower AA 1.5V 2260mAh that does not work very well in:

1) Mini Maglite 272 lumens (it shuts off on its own randomly)
2) Foursevens Quark 2AA (Slate Blue). The 500 lumens output is a no go. Other outputs work up to 300 lumens, but the Quark did fail to turn on a few times during my one week of using it with the cells at near full charge. Weird.
3) Zebralight H52w (fails to output the max 300+ lumens. Other output levels seem to work okay)
4) Zebralight SC5 (flickers for some reason, did not do much testing after that)

However it does work well in:

1) Incandescent Mini Maglite (provides full power to the Xenon bulb)
2) Mini Maglite Spectrum (provides full power to the Warm tint LED which outputs to around maybe 60-80 lumens)
3) Malkoff MDC HA 2AA with SST20 (no issues even at 250 lumens)
4) Logitech G603 mouse

To charge just use a micro usb.

Last edited: