I need a throw with good battery life.

John the gnome invader

Newly Enlightened
Weight and size don't matter, as long as the battery life is good. The throw needs to be over 600 meters. Battery type doesn't matter either. I just need something high range and high battery life. Max 200$. Thanks all.

Scotty321

Newly Enlightened
At under $200 you might be limited to a small hot spot for that distance. One suggestion would be the Nitcore P30i. However, it does have a prioprietary 21700, but comes with an adapter for CR123's (Turbo 2,000 lumen only with the 21700 15+A contiuous battery). High is listed as 1000 hours at 1.5 hours, although I don't know the drop off rate. They also have an MH40GTR that is rated at 1200 lumens at 2 hours and takes 2x18650's. It lists a hair more throw. Both are can be found under $150 new from the NightCoreStore here in the US (they are listed as dealers on this forum). I have the older MH20GT, but believe the newer lights are a couple steps up in quality.

I'm sure there are more cost effective options, but I've been impressed with some of the most recent Nitecore offerings.

Acebeam's L19 is also supposedly a throw monster for it's size. It lists about the same run time with more throw as the Nitecore's above, and you should be able to find it for around $150. It requires a 21700 with 10+A continuous battery. I've been impressed with my x10 and L35, but have no experience with this model. The K70 also has some impressive specs for throw and uses 4x18650's for a little extra runtime.

Last edited:

Eicca

Newly Enlightened
Weight and size don't matter, as long as the battery life is good. The throw needs to be over 600 meters. Battery type doesn't matter either. I just need something high range and high battery life. Max 200$. Thanks all.

Are you hoping to be able to sustain that 600m throw for the length of the desired battery life? That makes it tricky. Plenty of lights will hit 600 meters with their turbo mode and then step down due to thermal and voltage constraints, but will also last plenty long on their lower settings.

The Olight Warrior X Turbo might be a good option. Peak output is 1100 lumens and 250k candela which will last slightly longer than its other Warrior X siblings before stepping down. ZeroAir reviews indicates that it should be able to sustain over 600 meters of distance for about 25 minutes.

The low mode of 150 lumens puts out 150 lumens at 32k candela for 12.5 hours.

The battery and charger are proprietary though. Doesn't bother me, but if you're looking for a critical duty light, carry a spare of each.

John the gnome invader

Newly Enlightened
Another questionin question.

At under $200 you might be limited to a small hot spot for that distance. One suggestion would be the Nitcore P30i. However, it does have a prioprietary 21700, but comes with an adapter for CR123's (Turbo 2,000 lumen only with the 21700 15+A contiuous battery). High is listed as 1000 hours at 1.5 hours, although I don't know the drop off rate. They also have an MH40GTR that is rated at 1200 lumens at 2 hours and takes 2x18650's. It lists a hair more throw. Both are can be found under $150 new from the NightCoreStore here in the US (they are listed as dealers on this forum). I have the older MH20GT, but believe the newer lights are a couple steps up in quality.

I'm sure there are more cost effective options, but I've been impressed with some of the most recent Nitecore offerings.

Acebeam's L18 is also supposedly a throw monster for it's size. It lists about the same run time with more throw as the Nitecore's above, and you should be able to find it for around $150. It requires a 21700 with 10+A continuous battery. I've been impressed with my x10 and L35, but have no experience with this model. The K70 also has some impressive specs for throw and uses 4x18650's for a little extra runtime.

Question, since I'm new to flashlights and all this stuff. Is the nitecore p30i able to let me switch modes without clicking the button each time? Like can I go from turbo mode to medium mode without having to go through each mode first? I don't know how to describe the term exactly but you know what I mean.

Scotty321

Newly Enlightened
Re: Another questionin question.

Question, since I'm new to flashlights and all this stuff. Is the nitecore p30i able to let me switch modes without clicking the button each time? Like can I go from turbo mode to medium mode without having to go through each mode first? I don't know how to describe the term exactly but you know what I mean.

First, let me apologize for listing the L18, as I meant the newer L19 from Acebeam. I edited my original post.

The P30i has an on/off button at the back, and a mode switch on the side. It has mode memory, so it will come on whatever mode you were last using. If you turn the flashlight on and off over and over, it doesn't change the brightness setting, e.g. if you are signaling. At any brightness level, when on, if you hold the mode button down for a second it will switch to Turbo. From there, hit the mode button again and it returns to the previous brightness. It sounds complicated but it's pretty useful and intuitive. I have a similar Turbo "hold" for my i4000R and it works well, even though I have to wait <1 second to get that Turbo going... although the i4000R's Turbo only stays on as long as I hold the mode button.

The MH40GTR is the older design, where the on/off button is on the tailcap, a fully tightened head is always the highest setting, and a loosened head allows you to cycle through the other brightness settings with the on/off tailcap button. It has mode memory with the loosened head, but it takes a few seconds on off to remember the mode.

If the Acebeam's L19 I mentioned is anything like my x10 and L35 UI, the tailcap button is always on Turbo, and the side switch both turns the light on with mode memory, or long press to start in moonlight and cycle up. When on, whatever brightness setting is being used can be overriden by hitting the tailcap button for Turbo. I think the K40 has an on/of button on the tail cap and a ring for adjusting modes near the head.

Personally, unless you really want to be able to charge the flashlight without taking the battery out, I might suggest the Acebeam L19 if you want a single battery dedicated thrower. The L19 has no charging port on the flashlight, but you can use a battery that has a charging port on it.

I should also mention, that these lights have minimal spill, so if you want to use them as an all around light, you will be staring at a 4 inch glaring spot on the ground at close range.

Last edited:

adamlau

Flashlight Enthusiast
LEP such as the Jetbeam RRT M1X running medium. The drop in output isn't really noticeable. Tack on a proper 21700 5K mAh (e.g. M50A/50G) and you have excellent throw with excellent battery life (under 750 mAh draw on medium).

caelyx

Newly Enlightened
It's probably overdoing it, but I have a Streamlight Vulcan 180 which is great for that role. ~550m of throw rated for > 5 hours (albeit presumably dimming over that time). In practice, I typically use it on low and it lasts approximately forever.