Amazon packaging

delerious

Newly Enlightened
I have placed 2 orders for Eneloop batteries with Amazon recently. Both times they showed up in the really thin and flimsy gray bag. That stuff has the same thinness and softness as a ziploc bag. Previously, the only time I would get the thin/flimsy gray bag is if I ordered clothes. Makes sense, clothes don't need to be protected with a box. Now it looks like Amazon is shoving anything in those bags. :mad:

I hope my batteries weren't banging around and getting damaged during shipping.

I remember over 10 years ago when Amazon would put shrinkwrap around items inside a box, to minimize banging around during shipping. Then they stopped doing that, but at least put air bags inside the boxes. Nowadays most of their boxes don't even include any air bags. :(

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess amazon is going the cheap route even though they are making money hand over foot.
My sister in law just quit working at the local Bessemer amazon warehouse. Yes, they pay good, but they push you hard. The work isn't bad or heavy- it's just that you have to be super fast. Employees come and go so an employee actually caring about your package might be somewhat hit or miss and when being made to do things fast like that mistakes can happen.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
My made in Japan Amaloops from ~4years ago came in a well set cardboard box with liner. Only 4/box, it felt like it was over packed and over presented for mere batteries. Oh how times have changed.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
It might have something to do with which distribution center handle the packages for your area.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I guess if the products you buy don't need to be shipped from another warehouse then the only need to be delivered to you and less likely to be damaged in a delivery vehicle than on an 18 wheeler or a plane.

These were purchased on Amazon and delivered to our mailbox by USPS.

kzcEjmC.jpg
Both arrived alive. 500 watts, BABY! :huh:

Zyqj9vk.jpg

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
C´mon guys, give the guy (J. Bezos) a break, he is devorced now. Funds are running low now, time to start saving.....

scout24

Flashaholic
Chauncey- Very cool. I'll admit I almost hoped you were putting together some sort of handheld monster...

markr6

Flashaholic
I once received a 7200rpm hard drive in a box about 8 times the size of the actual product box. No padding so it was just banging around in there. Still kickin years later though!

delerious

Newly Enlightened
That's true. They were a next day delivery.

Ah, maybe that's it. My 2 Eneloop orders in gray bags were next day deliveries. Earlier this week I placed a 3rd Eneloop order, picked 2 day shipping to see if it'd be different, and it came in a padded yellow envelope.

Stuff on short trips in the gray bag can still get damaged though. My first Eneloop order in the gray bag also included a USB cable that came in a little box, and the box was completely torn apart inside the bag.

Scotty321

Newly Enlightened
Did you check who the seller was? Often different Amazon sellers will package things differently. Sometimes it states the quality of packaging in the reviews. If the seller is listed as "x," it might be a good idea to include that in your review. It might help others to steer clear of that particular seller, or prompt the seller to up their game.

delerious

Newly Enlightened
Did you check who the seller was? Often different Amazon sellers will package things differently. Sometimes it states the quality of packaging in the reviews. If the seller is listed as "x," it might be a good idea to include that in your review. It might help others to steer clear of that particular seller, or prompt the seller to up their game.

The seller is Amazon.com. I wouldn't risk buying Eneloops from a third party seller, they might end up being fake.

Scotty321

Newly Enlightened
The seller is Amazon.com. I wouldn't risk buying Eneloops from a third party seller, they might end up being fake.

I'm not sure how the "Amazon seller" listing works. In this case, I don't know if there would be a way to correct it. IIRC, my Eneloops came in a box, but I could be wrong as I purchased them through Amazon a few years ago. The only thing I take away from when an item's listed as sold by Amazon itself, is that a return/refund is easier, the price is usually market competitive, and the shipping is faster. I don't know if it helps reduce the chances of knockoffs or not.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I'm not sure how the "Amazon seller" listing works. In this case, I don't know if there would be a way to correct it. IIRC, my Eneloops came in a box, but I could be wrong as I purchased them through Amazon a few years ago. The only thing I take away from when an item's listed as sold by Amazon itself, is that a return/refund is easier, the price is usually market competitive, and the shipping is faster. I don't know if it helps reduce the chances of knockoffs or not.
I think there is 2 types of Amazon listings.
1)Amazon themselves sells the item shipped from their warehouses
2)Others send their products to Amazon and list them and Amazon ships their products from their (Amazon's) wareshouses.

In the case of 1) you get a product sourced by Amazon themselves, and 2) you get whatever is shipped to Amazon and unless Amazon themselves opens up the products and checks/tests them then you could have fraud and they wouldn't know it.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
When you order it shows whom it will ship from, amazon will say ships from amazon in stock, others will say from x in stock. But most of the things I get from amazon itself are poorly packaged.