USB AA/AAA battery charger ? And solar charger ?

marcis

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I'm looking to get a solar charger kit together for my bug out bag.
Years ago I had one of those foldable solar wallet things.

Now I know technology has advanced, And so have my flashlights. So I am looking for a USB solar panel, and a USB-AA/AAA charger to go along with it. I use sanyo eneloops, keep that in mind.

What does everyone recommend ? Not really concerned with the price. Looking for high quality products that last and do the job. Thank you!

Scotty321

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I'm looking to get a solar charger kit together for my bug out bag.
Years ago I had one of those foldable solar wallet things.

Now I know technology has advanced, And so have my flashlights. So I am looking for a USB solar panel, and a USB-AA/AAA charger to go along with it. I use sanyo eneloops, keep that in mind.

What does everyone recommend ? Not really concerned with the price. Looking for high quality products that last and do the job. Thank you!

For a bugout bag I'm assuming the smaller and lighter the better. My only experience is with a discontinued model listed below.

I've used an older model GZ Nomad 7 with a Guide 10 plus. I tested them with an old Win8 tablet, an old Nook tablet, and a Samsung Galaxy5 directly with the solar panel. I more often used the battery bank to charge my Galaxy5 when traveling, but it would heat up quickly when charging another battery. I think they discontinued both, and have newer versions that are meant to charge their Li battery banks. I have no experience with the newer Li battery banks and compatible solar panels.

Although probably not the best charger, if you like thje GZ Guide 10 plus format, you can still grab a few (I think I saw a couple at Cabelas lately), but don't think they will be replenished. I'm sure others might know of better options. I prefer a better charger when at home, but it's not as travel friendly as the GZ. Another downside is that the input's are either a GZ proprietary connection, or a mini USB (NOT micro USB).

The old Nomad 7 would charge a small smartphone slowly, but it still worked. I doubt it would work strapped to a backpack... you need to just sit it outside on a sunny day, aimed at the sun. I don't know if such a small and compact system would work well with newer Li chargers/batteries. I saw a YT video that measured just under 1A when in direct sunlight... even with a larger Anker foldable with 50% more solar panel area.

I did not get good results trying to place the solar panel in a window, but outside, with no clouds, it worked OK.

marcis

Newly Enlightened
For a bugout bag I'm assuming the smaller and lighter the better. My only experience is with a discontinued model listed below.

I've used an older model GZ Nomad 7 with a Guide 10 plus. I tested them with an old Win8 tablet, an old Nook tablet, and a Samsung Galaxy5 directly with the solar panel. I more often used the battery bank to charge my Galaxy5 when traveling, but it would heat up quickly when charging another battery. I think they discontinued both, and have newer versions that are meant to charge their Li battery banks. I have no experience with the newer Li battery banks and compatible solar panels.

Although probably not the best charger, if you like thje GZ Guide 10 plus format, you can still grab a few (I think I saw a couple at Cabelas lately), but don't think they will be replenished. I'm sure others might know of better options. I prefer a better charger when at home, but it's not as travel friendly as the GZ. Another downside is that the input's are either a GZ proprietary connection, or a mini USB (NOT micro USB).

The old Nomad 7 would charge a small smartphone slowly, but it still worked. I doubt it would work strapped to a backpack... you need to just sit it outside on a sunny day, aimed at the sun. I don't know if such a small and compact system would work well with newer Li chargers/batteries. I saw a YT video that measured just under 1A when in direct sunlight... even with a larger Anker foldable with 50% more solar panel area.

I did not get good results trying to place the solar panel in a window, but outside, with no clouds, it worked OK.

Thank you for your response. I think the goal is to have something to charge AA batteries in the field. That's the main objective. I found this yesterday -
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z3DYXXG/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Then I would just need a high quality usb AA charger. Would be nice to find a high quality charger that is universal (does AA, AAA, and 18650) but that is not a necessity, and so far the reviews for universal chargers seem less than favorable.

Having the solar panel be USB does allow me to charge a phone of absolutely needed, but that is definitely not the main goal.. just a luxury.

Scotty321

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for your response. I think the goal is to have something to charge AA batteries in the field. That's the main objective. I found this yesterday -
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z3DYXXG/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Then I would just need a high quality usb AA charger. Would be nice to find a high quality charger that is universal (does AA, AAA, and 18650) but that is not a necessity, and so far the reviews for universal chargers seem less than favorable.

Having the solar panel be USB does allow me to charge a phone of absolutely needed, but that is definitely not the main goal.. just a luxury.

It's my understanding that a lot of the wattage/amp ratings on these solar panels are calculated by the specs of the unit, and not the actual results from use. So be aware, a 24 watt solar panel setup like the one you linked might only give you an amp or so in real world usage (plus the rating is adding the "possible" amperage from both ports together, not just one).

If you aren't worried about size and weight, Nitecore has a couple 2x and 4x battery chargers that works with IMR, Li, NiMH, and LiPO (only on manual mode) as big as 26700's. I have the 4x version (UMS4), which is powered through a micro USB connection with a 3A wall adapter. I use it to charge my NiMH AA's, 16340's, 14500's, 16650's, 18650's and 21700's. It doesn't work as a power bank though.

I should mention, that before you go hog wild on components, you might want to test them in the way and environment you are planning to have them work in. I don't know if a digital charger like the Nitecore one I suggested would eat up more amps for it's programming, etc. with a relatively spartan solar setup. Maybe see how well the solar panel you purchased works with what you have on hand before adding more components to the setup. You might change gears and go another direction after testing.

I'll also add, that you might try walking a few miles with whatever weight your bugout load plus backpack weighs. That might alter your emergency system priorities.

Last edited: