Need help finding a flashlight for my father.......

lharrell799

Newly Enlightened
Hello all,

My dad turns 76 this year. He is still very capable physically and mentally. He loves all things guns, knives, lights, etc. He regularly has midnight battles with possums and other critters in his backyard. Usually it starts his dogs alerting him of a critter, and then he grabs a flashlight and goes outside to see what's going on.

I recently bought him a Thrunite TC20, thinking it would be the perfect gift. Small, rechargeable, and can light up his entire backyard. However, I quickly realized the technological learning curve might be too much for him. We went outside in the dark, to test it out, and he was having issues. First off, he was having trouble locating the small power button on the side. Then, I was trying to walk him through holding down the button, to toggle through the power modes. He seemed like he was getting frustrated with this. Finally, I told him to double click the button, to enter Turbo mode. Again, he struggled with this. His double click is too slow, and he kept turning the light on/off, never entering Turbo.

He went in the house and grabbed his trusty, cheapo Walmart flashlight. It has a big rubber button on the rear, has a single on/off click, and one lumen setting. I puts out about 40 lumens, but it's easy for him to use.

So, do any manufacturers make a flashlight that has around 1000+ lumens, and is simple for an elderly man to operate? He just needs on/off, with a big button. I've been researching, and it seems that everything made today has multiple modes, press and hold, double click, etc.

Get him a Malkoff MD2 with a high output Malkoff drop-in module. It won't be 1000 lumens, more like 500 or so, but the simplicity of operation (on/off), exceptional beam quality, and bomb-proof construction of the light and its engine are worth serious consideration.

If you're committed to a 1000 lumen output, consider getting a Malkoff Hound Dog, or perhaps a small SkyLumens-branded 21700 high output pocket lightsaber (4000 lumens on turbo / 70,000 candela or thereabouts).

Scotty321

Newly Enlightened
Many Streamlight models have a 10 tap programmable feature so you can make it always come on high with no other modes. The Protac HL 4 is a floody spot with good spill and illuminates at 100 yards well (first hand, not looking at stats on the box). It's heavy (some of us don't mind that), takes 4xCR123's or 2xbutton top 18650's, and only has a tail button. I recently picked one up from Cabela's for under $100 and I like it a lot. I haven't given it the "Dad's approval rating" yet... mine's 80, and after 20 years with the same style flip phone he still doesn't remember how to increase the volume on it. This light would be my main suggestion... especially if he likes a heavy/big flashlight for it's class.

The Protac HL 5-X has a side switch with more lumens and a tighter hotspot (more throw; less spill). I wanted more spill so I went with the 4, but I can also see how a side switch might work better with this size and weight of light.

For a smaller light with decent spill and a wide hotspot (plus more neutral tint) the Acebeam L35 is nice. The rear button only turns on Turbo whether from off or on. The side switch changes modes. I like my L35, but usually use lights with more spill. I don't think it will work with CR123's though. The Klarus XT21X's main button also always puts on Turbo, but it has two mode buttons which scroll opposite eachother through the modes that might be more confusing.

I'll also mention the Nitecore P20i and P10i. The main rear button will always come on high. The recessed button changes modes, and there are only 3 modes to deal with. However, the mode button can be hard to find in the dark or by feel, but if you're only interested in high, it shouldn't matter too much. These models have a CR123 adapter and only take Nitecore's proprietary 21700's.

Last edited:
Also, consider one of the Convoy lights, or one of the lights from Lumintop. Neither is as bomb-proof as a Malkoff, nor as powerful as one of the SkyLumen lights, but plenty bright nevertheless, and simple to configure the programming so your dad can with one button operation ramp up or down smoothly to whatever output level suits his needs. The real virtues of these two brands is cost-effectiveness.

Let us know what you decide.

lharrell799

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll take a look at all of them. What are y'alls thoughts on the Fenix LD42. It looks simple to use, has a rotary dial for on/off and modes. Takes 4xAA batteries, which I know dad would appreciate. Seems like a simple, bright, AA battery flashlight. Are there any other lights, similar to the LD42?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Does he need 1000 lumens? Some of the super bright stuff like that gets pretty damn hot. Not to mention runtimes would be double or triple if you go for something in the 300-500 lumens range.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have a Sofirn SP32 that puts out about 600 lumens on high and has a side switch that can be harder to find at times but has 2 ways of operating: Modes with memory going from lowest to highest (hidden strobe & turbo) and a ramping setup. It has a 1200 lumen turbo.
I'm not a fan of multiple AA lights with high output as you usually end up using expensive lithium primaries or nimh and there is always a chance of unbalanced discharging that results in cell reversal damaging batteries leading to ever increasing performance degradation requiring a charger with a test function to weed out the damaged cells to restore performance. Lithium ion either single or parallel cells do away with this problem while increasing performance and reducing bulk/weight. I think as others have said if Turbo mode is what he gravitates to then you likely need a larger more powerful light preferably with multiple lithium ion cells in it. He may be perfectly fine with a 400-600 lumen high mode in a light ignoring turbo completely but from what I've found in use the more you use Turbo the more you have it and use it more for that little extra punch. It may be as you go to higher and higher modes that your eyes shut down more and more and as you go from point blank light to "out there" your eye hasn't readjusted for a lot lower light saturation and "needs" more lumens.

pc_light

Enlightened
Thanks for all the suggestions, I'll take a look at all of them. What are y'alls thoughts on the Fenix LD42. It looks simple to use, has a rotary dial for on/off and modes. Takes 4xAA batteries, which I know dad would appreciate. Seems like a simple, bright, AA battery flashlight. Are there any other lights, similar to the LD42?
I think the Fenix LD42 would be great, I was going to suggest a rotary dial light.

Just be sure to outfit him withe some primary lithiums so that the light is longterm ready to rock without having to worry about alka-leaking batteries.

lharrell799

Newly Enlightened
Do y'all know of any other rotary dial flashlights? I didn't know they existed, and like the idea for dad. I think it would be easy for him to get the hang of.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another vote for a Maglite here. It's as simple as it gets to operate and feed and its durable.