can you use tool batterys on a ebike

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I'm guessing that tool batteries are way too wimpy to suffice you could have to use 6 or 8 of them together to suffice as tool batteries tend to be 20v and 6-12Ah at the most while Ebike batteries seem to be 36-48v and 10-20Ah so 4-8 times the power (or more) another issue is some tool batteries don't have protection circuitry in the battery it is in the tool itself that in use keeps from over discharge and overcurrent.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
the higher voltage ones like the 56v ego types could work.
you would run several in parallel to get runtime.
the problem with lower voltage packs in series is the mosfets on the bms are not rated for use in series strings and the first pack that hits lvd will get its mosfets killed by the high voltage.

tripplec

Enlightened
Thats the downside of them E bikes. Range, I have seen quite of number of them way down on a multiuse trail here (walkers, dogs, strollers, ATV's, Side by Sides and bikes, E as well as big mountain giant tire types). 2/3rd down the trail they run out of battery. Calling the rental shop for a pickup or another battery. LOL I guess they don't pedal much and its fairly flat running now that we have upgraded smoothened the trail out.