18650 w/USB charging port

volky

Newly Enlightened
I have several Fenix lights and I have been using CR123's for years now. Most don't see much use so the disposables fit the bill. My EDC is a Fenix E12.

I just purchased a Fenix PD35 that came with an 18650 w/USB charging port. I may change to this for EDC since my eyes are getting weaker with age, and save some $ with the rechargeable. This is my first trip into the rechargeable world and I have some questions.

The battery is a 2300mah. It's been on charge for about 5 hours now. The LED was red initially, now it has turned blue. Still waiting for green. Seems like a long time.

Fenix doesen't say how long a charge will take, nor do they mention a blue LED.

Can I use a plug in charger with this USB capable battery?

Is this charge time normal? Would a plug in charger take less time?

Thanks in advance.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I only have a Wowtac USB 18650 battery so far and it changes from red to green but it is quite possible that blue means charged fully. If you have a voltmeter I would measure to see what the voltage is. I know my battery which is a 3400mah takes about 8-9 hours to charge from dead (flashlight blinking). You can use a regular charger on these batteries. I think these batteries charge around 500ma rate but don't quote me on that. Typically as these batteries get nearly full the current rate drop some so it is possible it could take closer to 6 hours to be "full".

volky

Newly Enlightened
Well, after 10 hours the blue light is still on. I checked it with a meter at no load the reading is zero. I guess this is DOA. I'll call Fenix tomorrow or just return it to Amazon.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
If a protected cell put the charger cord back in and the voltage should jump up 3 volts or so.

Bill

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
If you have an external charger try using it. I've had my USB cell not want to charge once but putting it in a regular charger seemed to "fix it"

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several Fenix lights and I have been using CR123's for years now. Most don't see much use so the disposables fit the bill. My EDC is a Fenix E12.

I just purchased a Fenix PD35 that came with an 18650 w/USB charging port. I may change to this for EDC since my eyes are getting weaker with age, and save some $ with the rechargeable. This is my first trip into the rechargeable world and I have some questions.

The battery is a 2300mah. It's been on charge for about 5 hours now. The LED was red initially, now it has turned blue. Still waiting for green. Seems like a long time.

Fenix doesen't say how long a charge will take, nor do they mention a blue LED.

Can I use a plug in charger with this USB capable battery?

Is this charge time normal? Would a plug in charger take less time?

Thanks in advance.

I just looked up the "ARB-L18-2600U" on the Fenixlighting web site, and the product description states:

• Indicator light on battery is red while charging, blue when charged
There's even a photo depicting the red and blue states.

The product description (on Feinx-Store web site) also states:

"This new battery is micro USB as well as ready to charge within a charger."

I also have a 3500 mAh version that's showing 'blue' within a minute or so of connection to a USB source, and I believe it to be fully charged (it was fully charged on a XTAR VP2).

Yes, charging with a standalone charger would most likely be able to charge the cell at a higher (but still appropriate) CC current level than the USB facility, and thus allow faster charging. First, however, verify the charge time using the USB port (with things working as expected) to see if you even have a need for that.

Have you tested your voltmeter on another known DC voltage source to verify its current (present) functionality? (always best practice when you have a measurement that doesn't 'make sense' at the time, or before taking a measurement when safety is a factor).

Does the cell in question power up your light normally on all levels when installed in the light? (and if not, does the new light work w/ a pair of your CR123A cells?)

Last edited:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
First of all, Fenix doesn't make a USB rechargeable 2300 mAh 18650. The lowest capacity one they make is 2600. Either you made a typo or you got a fake battery. Second, if you had it charging for 10 hours and it said it was done after 5, is it possible that you trickle charged it to death?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
First of all, Fenix doesn't make a USB rechargeable 2300 mAh 18650. The lowest capacity one they make is 2600. Either you made a typo or you got a fake battery. Second, if you had it charging for 10 hours and it said it was done after 5, is it possible that you trickle charged it to death?
I don't think USB recharging circuits on these batteries will do much harm if left on a few extra hours after fully charged. I'm guessing it would take a week or a month to hurt them.

Qship1996

Enlightened
The Surefire branded one states you can leave it plugged in to a usb power source indefinitely, the circuit in the battery will control battery voltage so it does not overcharge ever.