To polish or patina? Can you tell me if this mini light is rare?

On "collector's item" lights, should brass patina be left alone or polished?

• Total voters

Franquixote

Newly Enlightened
I purchased this light directly from the engineer that designed it, and got a couple unusual extras.
The DGQ Fairy, what I think is the first iteration of this light, plus the mini dual mode charger tail, and an extra LED/lens.

It's taken on a nice patina that's almost glossy, and I would like to photograph it but was wondering what you guys thought about whether to polish the brass up.
I want to send the pics back to my friend in China that invented it, from my limited understanding I thi k he said that the intellectual property belongs to the government so he didn't get rich from this or much credit... maybe that's why he named it after himself!
Wanted to show him how well it's held up over the years and also he was a great source for good prices on tritium tubes - which I am trying to research the absolute best price on various cirs and sizes.
Your opinion on the polish vs. patina appreciated, as well as any thoughts about where to get best tritium pricing.

Thanks all, hope you enjoy what's left of the weekend!

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's really tough to say. It's like having a classic car and asking a car forum what wheels look best on it without pictures.

Post a partial pic on CPF and you'll get more opinions in addition to allowing us to appreciate it. It's what the forum is all about really.

LogansRun

Newly Enlightened
Personally, I prefer polished, i.e. Buying SS or Ti lights I go with polished as I don't like bead- or sand-blasted surfaces. But, if there is a story around the patina, like you and the light have gone through some trials or travel, etc., then maybe keep it as-is.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
You run into the same question among numismatists. Many won't buy a coin that has been cleaned, while others want the coin all shiny... :banghead:

I worked in a coin shop, and IMO among dealers, you want uncleaned coins. Unfortunately, you get newbs to the hobby, and they want "pretty" coins, and clean their coins with the most awful methods, even utilizing Dremels with wire brushes! I know! Nightmarish stuff! They put scratches in the coin, and ruin the patina, or as it is known in the coin collecting world, "toning". Some coins tone beautifully, with rainbow colors, and coppers vary widely in toning, some a deep red, others lighter copper color.

Needless to say, I voted keep the patina. IMO, old things should look old! That is how you recognize something is old. Yes, there are those that fake antiques, artificially aging things with various tricks, but you don't want a fake antique, or a repro, now do you? No, you want the genuine antique.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think as long as a finish hasn't been added, like anodise then polish away. You can always repatina it. In India they do so with Urine but maybe citrus juice could work too.