What is best for throw and tight beam

LEDependent

Enlightened
Yup - if you don't mind the large size, make one! It's fun. You'll need:
Hotlips Heatsink (CPF member Hotbeam)
Thermal Epoxy (suggest Arctic Alumina Epoxy)
3-cell D or C Maglite (or 2D with 3C cells shoved in)
Luxeon III emitter
3 NiMH C or D batteries (use rech. for lower voltage)

Epoxy the emitter onto the Hotlips heatsink. Solder on wires through the heatsink. Either somehow connect the wires to the existing bulb holder (I made an adapter with a broken bulb) or remove the darn thing (search around to find out how to take out the switch assembly - it's easy) and solder the wires to the switch. Insert the heatsink. Cut off the slanted tube on the reflector and put the head back on. Insert batteries (no resistance needed if using rechargeables) and turn on the light! It's focusable to a thin stream of light.

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Surefire L6 is hard to beat for what you want. It's listed at 65 lumens, but mine is brighter than lights that are rated higher.

stringj

Newly Enlightened
Just this week I received a white EverLED that has now found its home in an older Eveready flashlight. This flashlight is one of the camping lights that is a regular flashlight and becomes a lantern if you grasp and pull on the head. I am sure there is a farther throwing LED light out there, but this is the longest throwing one I own. It rivals any of my conventional lights.
Jerry

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The best throwing LED light I own is the Space Needle II.
But, these aren't being made anymore - unless you go to Mr. Bulk and specifically ask for one.
My page about this flashlight is right here if you're interested.

14C

Enlightened
There a a few in CPF that have poo-pooed the EverLED. I have a white one in a Mag 3D and I love it. the throw is great as you mentioned. I can't wait to see how the sputtered reflector from darkzero works...:)

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
stringj

Your use of the EverLED in the old Eveready sparked me into trying the bulb from my Dorcy Cool Blue in an old Eveready flashlight/lantern like yours that I had. The result is pretty nice. It throws like the Cool Blue with a slightly larger hot spot, plus I've got the lantern option. Of course it's not very water resistant, but overall a much more useful light now. Thanks.

Geoff

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
LEDependent said:
Yup - if you don't mind the large size, make one! It's fun. You'll need:
Hotlips Heatsink (CPF member Hotbeam)
Thermal Epoxy (suggest Arctic Alumina Epoxy)
3-cell D or C Maglite (or 2D with 3C cells shoved in)
Luxeon III emitter
3 NiMH C or D batteries (use rech. for lower voltage)

Epoxy the emitter onto the Hotlips heatsink. Solder on wires through the heatsink. Either somehow connect the wires to the existing bulb holder (I made an adapter with a broken bulb) or remove the darn thing (search around to find out how to take out the switch assembly - it's easy) and solder the wires to the switch. Insert the heatsink. Cut off the slanted tube on the reflector and put the head back on. Insert batteries (no resistance needed if using rechargeables) and turn on the light! It's focusable to a thin stream of light.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe this will out-throw a Space Needle II due to it using a Lux III.

Way brighter than an everLED.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I built my own out of a 2D Mag
Back before the hotlips, I used the Elektrolumens $1.00 aluminum heatsink in which I thermal epoxied a Luxeon Star (Bin R2H) Added a Madmax+ wide open regulator from Wayne Yamaguchi (thermal epoxied under the aluminum heatsink off to the side) The madmax+ puts out around 800-900mA to the Luxeon. Cut the tube off the reflector, wired it up, dropped the heatsink down into the Mag tube around 25mm so the reflector would just touch the LED.
I get 6 to 8 hours out of of a set of D cells, throws 100+ meters. The point of it is for a recumbent bicycle mounted frame light. Works very well and throws very far. Need to get some of that UCL glass to keep me content.
Been using it around 5 hours a week for the last 8 months, it is a great thrower.