What Batteries Should I Consider For Travel Toothbrushes?

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
My wife and I both have electric travel toothbrushes that use AA batteries.

What rechargeable batteries should I consider to use in those?

mcfarlie6996

Newly Enlightened
I use the white Eneloops. Best of the best. Amazon Basics rechargeable batteries are good too. Stick with the 2000mAh since they can be recharged a lot more than the 2500mah ones (1500 vs 500).

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I agree the original eneloops (and their relabeled cousins) are the best. The only issue is that sometimes eneloops are a little larger (diameter) and the button is a little different (I think shorter) so there could be a tighter fit to them. If you are only going to be using them on short trips you may must consider using energizer L91 lithium primaries which can be left in the toothbrushes without concern vs alkaleaks or spending a lot on eneloops that end up mostly "sleeping" in the toothbrushes waiting for a rare trip to occur.

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the replies. I just realized that I have four Eneloops now that typically are used in some headphones. I can easily charge them and use them in the toothbrushes because, if we are traveling, the headphones would just be home not being used anyway.

Mishalk

Newly Enlightened
My wife and I both have electric travel toothbrushes that use AA batteries..

What rechargeable batteries should I consider to use in those?
It lasted a long time (5+ years) and I had both sonics and oral-b electric teeth burns. From the battery life standpoint, they are still quite fine, with an ongoing loading station attachment.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
You will want to test them a little to see 1) If the brush will even work with NiMH cells. Some devices have problems with the lower voltage 2) How long the brushes will work on one charge. Can you charge and go, or are you going to have to bring a charger along?

Just as an example of #1: I have some keychain lights that use a single AAA cell. In the interests of economy, I tried one with an NiMH cell. It lights up, but only at the low setting. There apparently isn't enough in the cell to enable the high setting to work. It lights up, but isn't any brighter than the low setting.

HakanC

Newly Enlightened
If NiMH batteries don't work maybe you could try LiIon AA batterys with 1.5V regulated output?
I have used Kentli 3000mWh batteries in a one AA "razor" (nose hair trimmer) it revved like never before
and in a small portable radio that needs the higher voltage för the display

HKJ have tested a few 1.5V AA LiION batteries
TenaVolts AA 2775mW
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...st-review-of-TenaVolts-AA-2775mW-(Black-blue)
Kentli AA PH5 3000mWh
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...8-Test-review-of-Kentli-AA-PH5-3000mWh-(Blue)
These, and others, are also in his AA comprator
https://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/CommonAAcomparator.php

But 1.5V AA LiION batteries are a expensive niche product hopefully NiMH batteries will work

Edit
I just rememberd that I have a
electric toothbrush that uses AA batteries. It is a Braun/Oral-B AdvancePower 400
I have managed to not only find it, I have also tried it with both two NiMH AAs (Eneloop/Ikea Ladda 2450) and
compared that result to two Kentli 3000 mWh AA
The Kentlis are much better!

But I am still not convinced that buying expensive LiIon AA batterys with 1.5V regulated output + the special charger
only to use in a electric travel toothbrush is a good deal.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I agree with HakanC.... best to find a toothbrush that can use nimh batteries instead of investing in expensive lithium ion inverter cells.