Best headlight bulb cross over.

kingofwylietx

Enlightened
I can't find the bulb recommendations on here.

A friend has a 2007 Lexus LX470.

He needs new bulbs, low and high.
He thinks the low beam is H1 and the high beam is 9005/HB3.

Thoughts? I'm sure he needs new housings, but right now he needs to quickly replace his low beams since one is out.
He is capable of modifying the bulb tabs, if necessary to get a better bulb.

I've already shared Dan Stern's email address with him and told him to send the vehicle info to him for recommendations.

Are there better bulbs to use than the ones I listed? At a minimum, to get him by until he can implement what Dan suggests?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
One easy "get him by" choice is to go to the FLAPS* and buy regular H1 and HB3 (9005) bulbs, then worry about upgrading at leisure.

*Friendly Local Auto Parts Store

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
A friend has a 2007 Lexus LX470.
I'm sure he needs new housings, but right now he needs to quickly replace his low beams since one is out.

He's going to need at least one bulb immediately (buy a pair of new H1s and save the old one as a spare), but an '07 in the DFW area (I assume he's local to you) is going to have some major lens and reflector degradation by now, and probably needs new lamp assemblies.

If he can't make it to the FLAPS or even a UFLAPS*​, there's always TORKAA (The Online Retailer Known As Amazon). Driving around a few days with only one low beam is still potentially driving at night with only one low beam, so hurrying is recommended. Also, they shouldn't be that person that uses high beams inappropriately because a low beam is out. A motorcyclist gets by just fine with their headlighting system having half the performance of a car, right? They should dim their dashboard lights and drive appropriately given their lighting disadvantage, and of course use high beams as soon as is allowable (when other traffic has cleared). Their front position lights will still give other drivers information about the presence and size of the vehicle.

But there's really no reason to go without a low beam very long, as the H1 is extremely common and perhaps the friendlier FLAPS will offer curbside service.

*Unfriendly Local Auto Parts Store​