EverReady Captain Sealed Beam flashlight

HomeBrewLamps

Newly Enlightened
Hello guys, I'm an administrator on lighting-gallery.net, however I feel that flashlight questions would probably be more fitting on this forum, so I've decided to create an account. I have an Ever ready Captain Sealed beam flashlight and two working batteries for it, once the batteries (521 6V Akaline) die I intend on gutting one or both of them, and installing a lithium ion batteries and a USB charge port or barrel connector. I have no intention of converting to LED as it would completely destroy the flashlights character, and the 2.33W Sealed beam is quite effective as is. It shoots a beam all the way across the corn fields and even lights up coyote and deer eyes.

My question here is:

What is the capacity of the original 521 6V battery? And what would be the best way to reseal the battery casing once done retrofitting?

PSX_20210329_071217.jpg

broadgage

Enlightened
Why not just use the originaly intended battery type.
Although rather expensive they are very long lasting.
If you intend to use the lamps regularly, buy a couple of spare bulbs. These are less available than in years gone by but can be found on line.

In this large battery size, even zinc carbon batteries have ample capacity, about 20 AH for the ever ready zinc carbon type, that will give about 40 hours service.
The better alkaline batteries will have a still greater capacity.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the capacity of the original 521 6V battery?

Capacity will depend on how much current the light draws. Energizer claims 50,000 mAh at 25 mA and 35,000 at 100 mA for the 521 – these are very low currents. I don't know what your light draws, but I would guess(?) somewhere between 500 and 1000 mA – at 500 mA capacity would drop to around 21,000 and about 15,500 mAh at 1,000 mA.

Li-ions and NiMH's are affected much less by current draw than alkalines.

broadgage

Enlightened
The light in question uses about 500ma. In typical intermittent use I would expect about 40 hours service from a good quality zinc carbon battery, and longer from an alkaline battery

Lightboy21

Newly Enlightened
I know Rayovac still makes the #918 battery. Does Duracell or Energizer still make them?

broadgage

Enlightened
Duracell still make a 6 volt screw terminal lantern battery, hugely expensive in the UK. And contains 8 D cells, not 8 F cells.
The Ever Ready zinc carbon battery is more widely sold, and contains F cells.
The Energiser alkaline vaersion is not widely sold, but still made AFAIK.