Help me downgrade!

olddogrib

Newly Enlightened
Okay, I've become "that guy" at work. The one who everybody (mgmt., maintenance and engineering) comes to in order to borrow a flashlight (because my stuff is better than the shop's). Apparently my EagTac D25C2 clicky is "the bomb", even though it's years out and I'm sure there's way better stuff out there now. I don't mind sharing, but yesterday the borrower lost it...temporarily, thank God. (don't tell anybody but it was the boss). "Don't worry, I'll buy you another one if it doesn't turn up"....folks still think you can replace any "little flashlight" for < $20. I need to procure a cheaper "loaner light" in case I'm not so lucky next time. I'm thinking no bells or whistles, single CR123a primary, single mode, max lumens. I think my ET is around 850...they all just grin like pigs in slop, so that's what I leave it on all the time. Any other mode they find by accident and just think they've broke it and hand it back without saying anything. Runtime, throw aren't important. The objective here is close-up illumination of "chinery" bowels for a few minutes at a time, until you can determine which part needs smacking upside the head with a BFH! Thanks.

Last edited:

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a Tool AA? You can use it with max lumens with Lithium Ion or you can loan it out safely with a normal AA.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Single CR123 with that kind of output isn't gonna run for very long, or is going to have a dramatic step-down after a short while.

A convoy S2+ with 1x18650 can do well over a thousand lumens and be gotten for under 20 dollars. Depending on the driver, it can be programmed to work in a single mode with 100% output. I can't link any products here, so just look around for one that specifies mode group selection, for example one that runs on biscotti. Far better form factor too for a loner then a single 123 light. You can even select color temperature.Get a few of them right away in case someone "loses it".

LogansRun

Newly Enlightened
olddogrib, I don't envy your position: at first, it's a Flashoholic's dream come true... but, as you put it, until they lose one of your lights. I had a friend ask to borrow my HDS EDC U60 a few years ago during a camping trip. Unbeknownst to me, he asked to borrow it so he could do a number 1 in the woods{!), he returned several minutes later and just left my light sitting on a park bench 10 feet away. So, I know how you feel... :ohgeez:

Anyway, back to your request:

I need to procure a cheaper "loaner light" in case I'm not so lucky next time. I'm thinking no bells or whistles, single CR123a primary, single mode, max lumens. I think my ET is around 850...they all just grin like pigs in slop, so that's what I leave it on all the time.

As mentioned above, running a CR123/16430 light at that output will likely mean a stepdown and I think it may be very difficult to find a single-mode CR123 light these days as the ones I see are usually 3- or more modes. I think the suggestions around Convoy, Sofirn or Aliexpress lights are the only real options given you're also looking for a cheaper light.

These days, I have an older Niteye 1x18650 as a loaner. Dead simple control dial UI and multiple light levels and I don't care enough about the light if it gets lost or... left sitting on a park bench.

Last edited:

CanAm

Newly Enlightened
A single-mode LF Seraph is more than 20$ but fits the bill in all other ways. It's nice but not rare or hard to replace, and it's repairable/upgradeable.
I know you're looking for something smaller, but a light that's too big to easily pocket can be a good loaner. More likely to come back.

olddogrib

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the suggestions. It occurred to me after posting, duh, why not check the classifieds and I think Msf has solved my dilemma...not really a downgrade, but at least I'll have half as much in it when my co-workers lose it!

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
The wowtac w1 is a little under $30 Canadian on Amazon. It's rechargeable, and compact. I believe it's the budget brand of Thrunite, they are built pretty solid

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, I've become "that guy" at work. The one who everybody (mgmt., maintenance and engineering) comes to in order to borrow a flashlight (because my stuff is better than the shop's). Apparently my EagTac D25C2 clicky is "the bomb", even though it's years out and I'm sure there's way better stuff out there now. I don't mind sharing, but yesterday the borrower lost it...temporarily, thank God. (don't tell anybody but it was the boss). "Don't worry, I'll buy you another one if it doesn't turn up"....folks still think you can replace any "little flashlight" for < $20. I need to procure a cheaper "loaner light" in case I'm not so lucky next time. I'm thinking no bells or whistles, single CR123a primary, single mode, max lumens. I think my ET is around 850...they all just grin like pigs in slop, so that's what I leave it on all the time. Any other mode they find by accident and just think they've broke it and hand it back without saying anything. Runtime, throw aren't important. The objective here is close-up illumination of "chinery" bowels for a few minutes at a time, until you can determine which part needs smacking upside the head with a BFH! Thanks.

Olight i5T: AA alk or 14500 if you're brave. Two modes on standard AAs. About 300 lumens. Actually can be replaced for about $20.

Wowtac A1 or A1S: Cheapest 18650 on the market I think...that's also good quality. Can be had for around $20-30 give or take. Side mounted mode switch. Tail mounted power switch. Up to around 1100 lumens in the A1S.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do the people who borrow your light need that many lumens. If they don't, the Sofirn C01S is a AAA twisty that maxes out at ~100 lumens IIRC. Currently $6.99 USD. Both Sofirn and Lumintop have several lights that would probably make good loaners for not many $.

olddogrib

Newly Enlightened
Tim,
I'm sure they could get by with less. But in their defense, out factory lighting is on par with most dungeons and the piece of equipment we constantly have trouble with is comparable to trying to do an external colonoscopy on a massive heifer. The "Christmas morning" look on the mechanic's faces is enough for me to keep providing them with superior equipment. Disclaimer: I do have ulterior motives. I retired and "downgraded" jobs when I started drawing early SSA benefits to get below their "earnings cap" while keeping health insurance benefits until my wife is also Medicare eligible. When my job is done for the day they let me leave early...the sooner the better, so I do my part to keep that crap running! I could start handing them a candle, but they'd just dejectedly go back to using their own stuff and I'd be prolonging my own agony!