Fenix LR40R HUGE disappointment, need alternative

turbodog

Flashaholic
Just received fenix lr40r, 12,000 lumen light.

Overall: very good

dual buttons to control flood (11,000 lumens) and spot (1,000 lumens)
long range TIGHT spot
overall lumen output
can take protected 18650 cells (1 to 4 of them)
functions as usb powerpack
waterproof

Dislikes:
if using the 18650 option, you lose turbo flood, limiting flood down to 6,000 lumens
replacement packs are $90 bucks or so (when they are not made anymore... I lose 5,000 lumens)
can't charge pack outside of light
rubber door over usb ports, this will fail eventually

Needs:
long range spot
run from loose protected 18650 cells
LOT of output

Last edited:

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Easiest post I'll ever make.

Acebeam K30GT

for it's smallish size, it has an incredibly deep reflector
12v, running on three 18650 in series
simple UI

{if I had only a few seconds to think about it, my vote for the best light to date}

Scotty321

Newly Enlightened
I wonder if there is a way to figure out the amp rating of the individual batteries in the battery pack. Some of my flashlights, including my Acebeams state that they require batteries with a minimum of "x" continuous amp discharge rates. For example, my x10 came with a 30A rated battery, while my L35 came with a 20A rated battery.

turbodog

Flashaholic
After some thought I think I know why it disables turbo flood mode when using loose 18650 cells. In the current design, with loose cells, there's not a way to tell how many are present. If you were to load a single cell highly enough you could damage the cell and cause a hazardous situation.

That said... I'm still not happy with $90 battery cartridges.

Last edited:

turbodog

Flashaholic
+

Easiest post I'll ever make.

Acebeam K30GT

for it's smallish size, it has an incredibly deep reflector
12v, running on three 18650 in series
simple UI

{if I had only a few seconds to think about it, my vote for the best light to date}

I looked at that light. With a single emitter and deep reflector it seems like it would be a pretty tight spot beam with little spill.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Did some looking on brightguy for other lights in this class. Not much to pick from. Appears anything running from 2-4 18650 only reaches about 5k lumens sustained. A few burst over that, but for very short times.

skid00skid00

Newly Enlightened
Possibly one of these: [h=1]Mateminco TK04 Tactical Flashlight, 13500 Lumens 546 Meters[/h]I have one on a plane from china...

dave1010

Newly Enlightened
The LR50R detects the battery carrier with a pogo pin. I bet the LR40R does the same.

I'm not sure if it just needs pressing down or if it needs a voltage across it. If you know what you're doing, you could measure the voltage from it to the + or - of the battery pack, them see if you can recreate it wil plain cells. Be very careful though, as you could short the driver.

turbodog

Flashaholic
... In the current design, with loose cells, there's not a way to tell how many are present. If you were to load a single cell highly enough you could damage the cell and cause a hazardous situation.

After more thought... this ONLY applies if the factory pack has 4 cells in parallel BEFORE the protection circuit.

turbodog

Flashaholic
The LR50R detects the battery carrier with a pogo pin. I bet the LR40R does the same.

I'm not sure if it just needs pressing down or if it needs a voltage across it. If you know what you're doing, you could measure the voltage from it to the + or - of the battery pack, them see if you can recreate it wil plain cells. Be very careful though, as you could short the driver.

Sort of moot. The 10k lumens is only good for a very short time... couple of minutes maybe.

dave1010

Newly Enlightened
Sort of moot. The 10k lumens is only good for a very short time... couple of minutes maybe.

If you want a light that is brighter than 10,000 lumens after 10 minutes then your options will be very limited.

The Acebeam X70 and Imalent MS18 should just manage it. Possibly the GT4 and GT94. I don't know of any other lights that will come close.