What are the popular single AA flashlights these days ?

marcis

Newly Enlightened
Looking for a new backpacking AA light for night hiking.

It's been a long time since I have looked into new lights. I personally fell in love with zebralight back then. I just checked out there website and it doesn't look like they are doing much anymore ???

My criteria really is just it has to be as good or better than zebralight. That means no God awful artifacts in the beam. Zebralights were always (for me) artifact free.

I'm eying up the Sc5 MKII but curious to your recommendations. I think I would prefer a Single AA, but I have no problem checking out 2xAA if you post them.

Spill/spot beam I suppose is what I am looking for. My headlamp is flood for camp chores.

I also have an armytek headlamp which I like. Which I believe is spill/spot.

Thanks for your help

Last edited:

soldonsurefire

Newly Enlightened
For hiking at night your best bet would be a headlamp and you have that covered.Since you inquired about AA lights,I'll post my limited experience.

I bought two AA operated lights just to own them or in the event I didn't have access to recharge my 18650,16650 batteries.It seems as though every store on the planet sells AA batts.I chose the only two companies with which I'm familiar,Surefire and Malkoff.

They both work well and I have confidence in these two companies if ever I should need service.These are of course 2 X AA lights.

I'm sorry I can't help with your inquiry about Sc5 MKII.

Katherine Alicia

Enlightened
I can`t comment on what`s "popular" or not because i don`t know, but i have several AA based lights that might be worth having a look into.

1xAA:
Manker E03
Sofirn SP10S
Lumintop Tool AA

2xAA:
Manker T02
Thrunite Archer 2AV3
Maglite Minimag

4xAA:
Sofirn SF11

I have all these lights myself, and for camping I`d personaly take the Manker E03 or Tool AA (the lighted tail cap could be handy at night if you lost it), hope that helps a little :)

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
1xAA:
Manker E03
Lumintop Tool AA

agree.. both available in High CRI

the Manker is the most versatile,

the following Manker E03 features, dont exist with the Tool AA
1. a selection of low modes including sublumen,
2. being a 90 degree light it works as a headlamp, chestlamp, beltlamp, desklamp
3. and because it has a tailmagnet, it also works stuck to the hood of a car or the body or other metal parts
which could be convenient when changing a tire in the dark.. I keep a Manker in my car.

skid00skid00

Newly Enlightened
I have a ZL SC52, a 4/7's something, and a Jetbeam RRT-0.

If I bought today, I'd get something with ramping brightness. If you decide the hand light needs sub-lumen, the ZL has that covered in spades. The RRT-0 does that too, but my old one has awful beam ringing. I hate it and never really use it.

The GT Mini would be great, if it used AA's, but it's LiIon...

Have you checked here: http://flashlights.parametrek.com/i...A,6+AA,custom li-ion&lumens=_,994&weight=_,88

alohasurftoad

Enlightened
eagtac d25a mkII clicky xp-l, xp-l hi or osram or d25a2 clicky with the same emitters.

Last edited:

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
My criteria really is just it has to be as good or better than zebralight.
That kinda kills your options, unless you just want something with some throw.
Really, since you've got a floody headlamp, that's what you're gonna be hiking with, so you could get whatever's coolest or brightest to play with.

I'd get a SC53w or SC5w, personally. I often carry a SC52w when backpacking, though it rarely gets used, and I think of it more as spare carrier for my headlamp than anything.
It would be ok to hike with in the event the headlamp failed, which would be my own criteria for a 2nd light, since my headlamp, an older H52Fw, gets 100% of my actual use.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
eagtac d25a mkII clicky xp-l, xp-l hi or osram or d25a2 clicky with the same emitters.

If it's for hiking, a high CRI version might be worth considering and Illumination Gear (no affiliation, just a great business) has a 95+ CRI SST-20 option on both of those lights.

Really though, Zebralight is a solid choice. There's the Malkoff MDC series if you want a light that's super robust, but they don't offer the versatility of a Zebralight.

pc_light

Enlightened
I think the Skilhunt M150 might be worth considering, small like the ZL, nice UI and will take a beating (see YT "Dozens of violent drop testings--SKILHUNT M150 AA Flashlight").

aii4Csq.jpg

Last edited:

wjv

Enlightened
EagleTac has nice ones to choose from including NW tints and real moonlight modes.

ThruNite Archer 1A

Fenix E12

Personally I'd go with 2xAA if outdoors.

Last edited:

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll just throw in a few that I own personally and would take camping myself.

Olight i5T: But it IS a total flood light. An excellent flood light that can also run on 14500 cells but a flood light all the same. Very simple operation though if that is needed. Two-way clip that works great on ball cap bill.

Klarus XT1A: Another dual fuel light that comes with a micro-usb rechargeable 14500 Li-Ion cell. Dual tail switch with access to turbo or low/strobe. There is a third output level in between low and turbo but there is no mode memory.

Sunwayman V11R: Quad fuel light (AA, 14500, 123A, 16340) has an adjustable ring for intensity control with a tail switch for power. Tail stands even when off. Super low 1 lumen output or less. Might be 0.5 lumen.