About those Osram H7 LEDs legal in Germany...

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Well, this is sure disappointing. Like all this guy's videos, it's in Russian, so turn on the subtitles and the English translation. Or just watch the show and don't worry about the words. Skip ahead to 10:00 minutes if you want to get past all the introductory stuff and see the "money shots". It's pretty self-evident what's happening: he's trying out these bulbs in one of the headlamps on the list of approved ones, a VW Polo lamp. Looks like the bulb doesn't even fit properly in the lamp, and the "beam pattern" it puts out is a mess that changes shape and form with minor finger pressure on the bulb (11:45 minutes)...sure makes it look like with normal road vibrations it's going to be all over the place. Yuck, I hoped for a much more respectable result from these.

(This is about Osram's "legal in Germany on some specific models" H7 LEDs, discussed in an earlier thread here)

Results like this suggest "LED bulbs" are still not ready for Prime Time!

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like the bulb doesn't even fit properly in the lamp, and the "beam pattern" it puts out is a mess that changes shape and form with minor finger pressure on the bulb (11:45 minutes)...sure makes it look like with normal road vibrations it's going to be all over the place. Yuck, I hoped for a much more respectable result from these.
You'd think that the mechanical fit would be the very easiest thing to do and they couldn't get that right. (Shades of the DEPO lamps that wouldn't fit the vehicle (some Ford Taurus or something) they ostensibly were designed for.)

Cadchris

Newly Enlightened
I see the Russian market seems to get many of the OSRAM/Philips signal bulbs thru many of the sellers on e-bay.
Is the Russian market the test mules by Philips/Osram ect.?

Do you think he may have gotten a fake OSRAM?

I've seen a few videos from the other Russian bulb tester "Sergiu Gabor" seen in the Youtube side-bar.....
What do you guys think of his testing methodologies?

Russian lesson for the day: "Do Svidaniya ('duh svee-dah-nee-ye') OSRAM H7 LED's"......! LOL.

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Is the Russian market the test mules by Philips/Osram ect.?

No, I don't think so.

Do you think he may have gotten a fake OSRAM?

No, I don't think so.

I've seen a few videos from the other Russian bulb tester "Sergiu Gabor" seen in the Youtube side-bar.....
What do you guys think of his testing methodologies?

I'm not sure he's Russian, I think he might be Roumanian. Mostly his work is very good, with some "blind spots" (says he doesn't know why a premium Philips bulb would be promoted as having 13 bars of fill gas pressure because all halogen bulbs have pressurized fill gas...true, but in fact the actual amount of pressure makes a significant difference) and a few apparent "potholes" -- (his lux readings sometimes don't make sense). He gives generally good advice, plus or minus a point or two or three here and there. His work is a whole lot better/more thorough/more scientific/more adult than that nimrod here in the USA who claims (without any defensible merit) to be providing "bulb facts", or those dingbats, also in the USA, who claim to be powering an automotive lighting "revolution" and post videos with bogus "tests" set to metal guitar.

Last edited: