Jetbeam        
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So hard to find a good high cri light nowadays

Flashaholic*

Default Re: So hard to find a good high cri light nowadays

For those looking for a AAA/10440 light with high CRI, County Comm has the Reylight Pineapple Mini with the Nichia 219B R9080 available in a bundle for a pretty good price in both brass and copper at this moment (titanium is sold out). I just got my copper in today.
    What kind of self respecting nocturnal being cannot see in the dark, one way or another?

Quote Originally Posted by defloyd77 View Post
    Reylight Pineapple Mini with the Nichia 219B
    the 219B 4500k is my favorite High CRI LED, bar none
    And the Reylight AAA is a great host.
    Among other things I like, it has a fully captive, deep carry clip, and a tritium slot in the tail button..
    Highly recommended
    Last edited by jon_slider; 04-21-2021 at 03:29 PM.
    WTB Sunwayman V11r

Flashaholic*

Alright, you guys convinced me.
    I've been trying to ignore all my CountyComm notifications. Also been hesitant on the 10440 since it won't work in any of my other AAA lights that it'll fit into.
    I already carry a Prometheus Beta QR on my primary keychain, with Fenix or Preon AAA on alternate keychains. And Maratac AAA's in several materials scattered about.
    For primary EDC I've found that I much prefer the grip, manipulation and operation of a single-CR123 light with a tail switch. And I usually just pocket it.
    But 4500k is my ideal tint, 219b R9080 sounds like the perfect Hi-CRI, and at least this little guy has a click switch for one-hand operation. Deep-carry clip is sometimes a nice option.
    So it'll give me one more option when I don't expect to need a light and want it to be slim; and one more point of comparison for the 219c's.
    Thanks?!?
    If you lure me into any more, I might as well have ordered a replacement HDS.
    Copper Maratac comparisons and 119/219b/219c beamshots to follow...

Quote Originally Posted by tjswarbrick View Post
    Alright, you guys convinced me.
    I've been trying to ignore all my CountyComm notifications. Also been hesitant on the 10440 since it won't work in any of my other AAA lights that it'll fit into.
    I already carry a Prometheus Beta QR on my primary keychain, with Fenix or Preon AAA on alternate keychains. And Maratac AAA's in several materials scattered about.
    For primary EDC I've found that I much prefer the grip, manipulation and operation of a single-CR123 light with a tail switch. And I usually just pocket it.
    But 4500k is my ideal tint, 219b R9080 sounds like the perfect Hi-CRI, and at least this little guy has a click switch for one-hand operation. Deep-carry clip is sometimes a nice option.
    So it'll give me one more option when I don't expect to need a light and want it to be slim; and one more point of comparison for the 219c's.
    Thanks?!?
    If you lure me into any more, I might as well have ordered a replacement HDS.
    Copper Maratac comparisons and 119/219b/219c beamshots to follow...
    Gotta agree with the 219b 4500k high CRI. I had to have mine made to order from Vinh in a titanium Tool. Absolutely love the clicky; so convenient. Only takes 10440s though.
    Also considered having my RRT-01 (2019) modded to the same but just never got around to it. Also love the rotaries.

Flashaholic*

RRT01 Raptor arrived early.
    In preliminary investigation, I like it.

Tail switch is a little hard to press one-handed, and color leans a bit toward yellow. But mine, at least, doesn't appear any more green that the Zebralight H53Fc, which I believe has a CRI 93-95 XP-L2 emitter.
    Still nothing can touch the SunDrop.

Desk is a honey Acacia wood finish.
    I know my photography skills leave a bit to be desired. And the outputs aren't calibrated. But it isn't TOO far off what I see in real life.

Last edited by tjswarbrick; 04-23-2021 at 12:28 PM.

Maglite Solitaire LED warm

I just bought two of them. They are very warm with excellent color rendition

does anyone have a link to an actual CRI test of the Warm White LED in the Maglite Solitaire?
    WTB Sunwayman V11r

Flashaholic*

Here's the 219c EagleTac D25c Mk III which arrived today, compared to the JetBeam 219c RRT01 Raptor which arrived yesterday, the McGizmo SunDrop XR-U from 2013, and an M61LHCRI (with XR-E, if I recall) from 10 years ago.

RRT-01 is more yellow, and has so much spot it's hard to compare - and a little hard to use close-up. At least compared to the others.

Perhaps in the next round I'll try to balance out the outputs to somewhat close to each other. But the EagTac only wants to go High/Strobe for now, so I left it - and cranked up the Raptor.
    Last edited by tjswarbrick; 04-24-2021 at 11:49 AM.

Flashaholic*

And, finally, the Maratac Reylight Pineapple 219b 4500 R9080 arrived today, as well. (It was hiding - I didn't know it had made it.) 10440 was undercharged, so this is on High with an eneloop.

Comparison: Maratac AA Cu, Maratac 123 Cu, Reylight HiCRI, RRT01 219c, D25c MKIII 219c HiCRI, and SunDrop. (Have a Maratac CU AAA, too, but the output on that one has never been very special. It's in a tool bag in the trunk right now.)

As you can see, I got lucky in the RRT01 lottery. Sure puts the two older Maratac lights to shame. Those two old CU's aren't Hi-CRI, but IIRC they were specified with Neutral White. I always felt they had decent tint and rendering, though nowhere near the SunDrop or sorely missed HDS.
    Last edited by tjswarbrick; 04-24-2021 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jon_slider View Post
    the 219B 4500k is my favorite High CRI LED, bar none.
    Slider is right about so many things, but especially this point. Couldnít agree more. My fav HiCRI is my HDS F89HG.
    ďExpertsĒ are wrong about half the time. And there are two reasons for the crenelations... [My_Lights]

Flashaholic*

Probably not the right place to put this, but nobody's replied on last year's ReyLight thread:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...t=#post5451835

Got my 219b sw45k R9080 ReyLight Pineapple from County Comm on Saturday.
    Included 10440 was only 50% SoC, so I dropped in an Eneloop.
    Easy to hit the switch, and a gorgeous tint. Gorgeous copper finish, too.

Charged up the 10440. Dropped it in.
    Still nothing.
    Is there a trick for running Li-Ion in this guy?
    It's not a button-top, and is the battery included in the package. Charger display confirms 100% State of Charge.
    Is there an easy way to determine if the issue lies with the battery or with the light?
    (I donít have another 10440 on hand to test.)

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by tjswarbrick View Post
    Probably not the right place to put this, but nobody's replied on last year's ReyLight thread:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...t=#post5451835

Got my 219b sw45k R9080 ReyLight Pineapple from County Comm on Saturday.
    Included 10440 was only 50% SoC, so I dropped in an Eneloop.
    Easy to hit the switch, and a gorgeous tint. Gorgeous copper finish, too.

Charged up the 10440. Dropped it in.
    Still nothing.
    Is there a trick for running Li-Ion in this guy?
    It's not a button-top, and is the battery included in the package. Charger display confirms 100% State of Charge.
    Is there an easy way to determine if the issue lies with the battery or with the light?
    (I donít have another 10440 on hand to test.)
    No tricks as far as I know, just put the positive end toward the head. Do you have another light you can test the 10440 in?
    What kind of self respecting nocturnal being cannot see in the dark, one way or another?

Flashaholic*

No tricks as far as I know, just put the positive end toward the head. Do you have another light you can test the 10440 in?
    I do!
    I totally spaced it.
    I won this guy like 10 years ago. Carried it for about a week, until I realized it likes to turn on by itself and cook my leg...
    MBI HF-RT Ti?

New CountyComm blue 10440 runs just fine in there.
    Charging up the IMR to see if it'll power the ReyLight.
    Last edited by tjswarbrick; 04-27-2021 at 01:00 AM.

Flashaholic*

Okay.
    So, the IMR 10440 charged up quick, and runs just fine in the ReyLight.
    So, basically, Iím all set but have no idea why the nameless blue 320mAh 10440 that came with the ReyLight wonít run in it, even though itís just fine in the MBI.
    Wierdness.

Update:
    I took a few measurements (just one sample of each).
    Energizer Ultimate Lithium AAA Primary: 1.740" OAL / .404" OD;
    Sanyo Eneloop AAA: 1.738" OAL / .401" OD;
    Efest flat-top 10440: 1.738" OAL / .403" OD;
    Blue flat-top 10440 supplied with the ReyLight: 1.690" OAL / .3985" OD.

So, I think it's just a matter of the battery is too short for the light. Although it works in the MBI.
    The other 3 all work in the ReyLight.

Looks like County Comm is going to take care of me, anyway.

Received replacement cell from CC. It works in the light!
    Last edited by tjswarbrick; 05-01-2021 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Measured the cells

Quote Originally Posted by TA_ls1 View Post
    HDS confuses me. I was looking at a HDS rotary but it would not let me select that in high cri. I guess my questions about HDS are how would I get a rotary in high cri? Also, how would I justify paying over $300 at the least for lights that may be built like tanks yet only have up to 250-300 lumens? Zebralights are also built like tanks and so are Malkoffs but don't cost nearly what HDS does...
    Right now it seems that the high CRI offerings at HDS are being reserved for the special run of lights (stainless steel, copper, etc.), and once those runs are finished, the remaining emitters will become generally available.

As for cost, I suppose each person has to decide what they are comfortable with spending, but with HDS, you are getting, in my opinion, the finest made flashlight available at any price with an unbeatable no-questions-asked lifetime warranty. In terms of quality, features, and customer service there is nothing better. Unfortunately, that doesn't come cheap.

Flashaholic*

One more shot of Hi-CRI beams.

Thrunite Ti (freebie - not Hi-CRI); ZebraLight H53Fc Neutral Hi-CRI; MBI HF-RT with Zoom head and undefined neutral emitter (looks like maybe an XM-L); ReyLight Pineapple 219b sw45k R9080; McGizmo SunDrop XR-U.

Flashaholic*

Love the tint and color rendition of my Zebralight SC700d,as well as my Manker E14 III neutral white.

The Zebralight is rated at 5000K color temp,whereas the Manker is rated at 4000K color temp.
    Last edited by AMD64Blondie; 04-28-2021 at 07:43 AM.

It is not easy to recognize High CRI, as it is mostly related to Red Spectrum output, that is completely absent in Low CRI.

shining a light on the palm of my hand, helps me tell the difference, but it may not help other people who dont care as much as I do about Red Spectrum output

another way to see a difference between low and High CRI, is to shine the light on something made of wood... but again, not all photos of wood are created equal

in any case, here is my attempt to communicate the Visual effect of High CRI

daylight control shot:

the two on the left are low CRI... notice the wood looks green under them, but it is actually Not green:

of course it is only fair to say, that even the 219b color rendering is different than daylight.. No LED equals the spectrum of sunlight.. but High CRI LEDs come closer than Low CRI LEDs...

another example..
    top is low cri, bottom is high cri

===
    not all High CRI leds have the same amount of Red Spectrum output

Even the N219c is no match for an N219b. The 219c is certainly brighter, but its also considerably yellow/greener, as shown by the light in the middle:

The High CRI Zebras dont even come close to an N219b in terms of Red content. Look at the R9 values, the red bar:

Also look at the spectrum, can you see how much less Red the Zebra LED produces?:
    Last edited by jon_slider; 04-28-2021 at 10:33 AM.
    WTB Sunwayman V11r

Flashaholic

JS - Thanx for including the critically important daylight control shot of that wooden surface for reference.

Flashaholic*

I wonder if anyone has run those spectrum tests on the Yuji BC3030 G04 that's in the Prometheus Beta Magnetic. I am by no means a tint snob, but that Yuji is my gold standard. I was kind of surprised and honestly almost underwhelmed by the fabled R9080 when I've been spoiled by the magic of Yuji.

spectrum tests on the Yuji BC3030 G04
    underwhelmed by the fabled R9080
    that Yuji is a great LED!
    here are some spectrum test data

the Yuji is a 4000k 9080 with a duv of -0.0030 which I think is excellent,
    not quite as pink as the 219b 4500k 9080 that has a duv of -0.0055
    but the Yuji is still below the BBL, like I prefer

also great is that the Yuji has an R9 CRI of 96.. this is fantastic, and similar to the 219b

personal preference for color temperature varies, I dont use 4000k 9080 (also available in 219b), because I prefer the 4500k color temperature
    but I have total respect for the Yuji option. Jason at darksucks is really savvy at picking high quality LEDs.

IF you have both the Yuji and the 219b, I hope you post a beam photo, side by side, to show the difference in color temperature and tint.

I suggest you take the photo using a folded piece of white printer paper, like this:
    Last edited by jon_slider; 04-29-2021 at 08:27 AM.
    WTB Sunwayman V11r

Flashaholic*

Let's play a game. Rank these, both by CRI and CRI R9

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by staticx57 View Post
    Let's play a game. Rank these, both by CRI and CRI R9
    They appear to span a big range of color temperatures, and are on a white target. Wouldn't 'ranking' CRI be impossible? (That's not a rhetorical question. I know very little about this and am trying to learn:-)

Flashaholic*

It is a bit of a perception not equal to reality question. But theres only two CCTs here: 4500k and 6500k

I just want to say something real quick about a common misconception of CRI. CRI is a measurement of how a certain CCT accurately stacks up against its black-body radiant of the same color temperature, therefor you can't really compare R9 values of two different CCTs. For example, an LED that's 3000k or 3500k, but with an R9 of only 50 might have more deep red within its output than an LED with a CCT of 4500k or 500k, but with an R9 of 70 or 80, because the lower CCT will inherently make the output warmer and trending towards the red side of the spectrum anyways.

Also, just because an LED is outputting a green-tinted light, doesn't mean it has low CRI or low deep red rendering. The highest CRI led I have that's in a flashlight is a 5600k Optisolis, with a CRI of 98-99, with really high R9. However, it is green tinted. Likewise, you can find very pleasing to look at lights that are rosy tinted, but with CRIs of only 70-80.

CRI is very much a subtle quality compared to CCT and tint, that I feel it's quite easy to put too much emphasis on it. I could very well post a picture of two leds illuminating wood, or skin, or meat... one 4000k 70cri and rosy tinted, vs the aforementioned Optisolis that's 5600k and 98-99 cri, and I guarantee most of the people would say the 4000k 70cri is higher CRI.

Fascinating, twistedraven.

More than once, comments have been made here at CPF about the shortcomings of comparison photos regarding tint and color temperature as well as the ability of our eyes to accommodate existing conditions. On the second detached retina surgery with my other eye, one could say that the surgeon was wanting to be sure the repair work took. As a result I lost a band of lateral peripheral vision midway (vertically) on the right. It was horribly distracting and frustrating to lose that capability. But you know what? The brain adjusted and now it is rarely noticeable. Definitely need to turn the head to make sure when driving, etc....
    Last edited by KITROBASKIN; 05-02-2021 at 10:00 AM.

My newest is a Lumintop 2.0 tool Nicha because of it's great UI, being rock solid and will take 14500s. The reversible clip is awesome because you just reverse the body for ball cap wear.

Quote Originally Posted by twistedraven View Post
    I could very well post a picture of two leds illuminating wood, or skin, or meat... one 4000k 70cri and rosy tinted, vs the aforementioned Optisolis that's 5600k and 98-99 cri, and I guarantee most of the people would say the 4000k 70cri is higher CRI.
    I would like to see that photo :-)

I agree that many people dont recognize the difference between low CRI and high CRI, because the difference IS subtle.

top is low CRI xp-g2, bottom is High CRI N219b:

both those chicken breasts taste the same, if I close my eyes
    but, I prefer seeing the one illuminated by High CRI, it gives a more complete picture.
    Low CRI omits red content information.. I happen to like Red foods... lol

otoh, green leaves look nice (and greener) under Low CRI...
    foliage is possibly one of the worst ways to attempt to learn to discern red spectrum output from a light
    Last edited by jon_slider; 05-02-2021 at 10:31 AM.
    WTB Sunwayman V11r

Quote Originally Posted by jon_slider View Post
    I would like to see that photo :-)
    I'll grab my SC600 MK3 HI from my car later tonight and slap some Lee minus green filters on it to take a pic later.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by twistedraven View Post
    I just want to say something real quick about a common misconception of CRI. CRI is a measurement of how a certain CCT accurately stacks up against its black-body radiant of the same color temperature, therefor you can't really compare R9 values of two different CCTs. For example, an LED that's 3000k or 3500k, but with an R9 of only 50 might have more deep red within its output than an LED with a CCT of 4500k or 500k, but with an R9 of 70 or 80, because the lower CCT will inherently make the output warmer and trending towards the red side of the spectrum anyways.

Also, just because an LED is outputting a green-tinted light, doesn't mean it has low CRI or low deep red rendering. The highest CRI led I have that's in a flashlight is a 5600k Optisolis, with a CRI of 98-99, with really high R9. However, it is green tinted. Likewise, you can find very pleasing to look at lights that are rosy tinted, but with CRIs of only 70-80.

CRI is very much a subtle quality compared to CCT and tint, that I feel it's quite easy to put too much emphasis on it. I could very well post a picture of two leds illuminating wood, or skin, or meat... one 4000k 70cri and rosy tinted, vs the aforementioned Optisolis that's 5600k and 98-99 cri, and I guarantee most of the people would say the 4000k 70cri is higher CRI.
    Thanks, twistedraven. In lieu of a simple 'yes/no' answer yet, I believe your explanation just answered my simple question with a 'YES'. Please let me know if I'm misinterpreting your post, because as I said, I'm trying to learn more about this subject.

That question was: They appear to span a big range of color temperatures, and are on a white target. Wouldn't 'ranking' CRI be impossible?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast