So hard to find a good high cri light nowadays

TA_ls1

Enlightened
Hi all, maybe it's just me, but I'm having a real hard time finding a good high cri light. I only have a couple cheap high cri AAA lights from BLF that have one mode. I'm looking for more of an EDC light that takes a AA, cr123, or an 18650.

The ones that stick out real quickly after reading and searching on the forums are HDS and Zebralight. I do have a Zebralight sc600w III Hi in neutral, which I love, but the cri is like 80 or so. HDS confuses me. I was looking at a HDS rotary but it would not let me select that in high cri. I guess my questions about HDS are how would I get a rotary in high cri? Also, how would I justify paying over $300 at the least for lights that may be built like tanks yet only have up to 250-300 lumens? Zebralights are also built like tanks and so are Malkoffs but don't cost nearly what HDS does...

From what I can see, for Zebralight the only high cri light available is the SC64c LE 18650 4000k high cri (I'm not really looking for an angle light).

Am I limited to the one Zebralight, and nothing in hi cri from HDS? What about other brands? I'd like to stay under $100 (I know that's not possible with HDS and I might make an exception if I could get the rotary in high cri..), but what other brands/lights am I missing with hi cri and 4000-5000k? I have a ton of Olights, but none are high cri or even neutral white. I have a Lumintop tool AA but that's CW, and so is my other Zebralight, a sc62. Most of the high cri lights I see are AAA, but I'm not looking for a keychain light. If I did get a keychain light, the Rovyvon a8x with a nichia looks really nice, but I've read some reviews that make me question the reliability, and the charge ports seems like it would fail over time.

Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

parametrek

Enlightened
There is a "high CRI" checkbox under the "LED Color" filter in the flashlight database. Combined with your battery and budget preferences find 54 matches. Acebeam has a lot of compelling models with a high CRI option. TK16 and TK17 and TK18. The Emisar/Noctigon lights from INTL Outdoor are also very popular.

nbp

Flashaholic
The HDS emitter options are often being updated with new choices. They are a small shop so they buy in small quantities. So right now there may only certain things available but new emitters become options regularly. Check out the HDS subforum to see what is coming.

If you want a more wallet friendly light, one of my favorites lately includes the Foursevens Quark 16650/2xAA. They come with a very lovely Nichia 319 and sport a fantastic beam pattern. The limited slate blue light is the one I have and it is outstanding for outdoor activities.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a thread discussing options:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?472515-High-CRI-options

Light I have experience with:

AA:
Some EagTac models, but you have to look around as each dealer seems to have different stock.
Convoy T2 for under $17 (I bought mine from a US dealer and got it in 4 days)

cr123:
EagTac models
Convoy S2+ with 18350 body

18650:
Convoy S2+ (lots of LED options here)
LuminTop Fw3A and similar models, Emisar D4v2 light running Anduril are super neat for a flashoholic, can start fires so not for muggles.

Last edited:

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've personally bought several EagTac lights (D25A MkIIs and D25C MkIIs) in the past year, and they were available with a nice choice of emitters, as I wanted to sample some different emitters in decent, usable lights without spending a fortune. I specifically picked up some w/ >90 CRI (SST-20 and 219C - both 4000K), as I wanted to evaluate them for that specific reason. All were from stock from reliable U.S. distributor. All were far less than $100 ea. - closer to half that.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jetbeam rrto1 with the Nichia 219c should do nicely. Rotary, 4000k and hi cri. I really like that they added a tail switch this year

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have the Nichia 219c become less green tinged? What about availability of that Nichia 300 something?

I too ordered from illumination gear years ago, getting an Eag Tac with a good choice of emitter. In fact, ordered one with an SST-20 last night (thanks to this thread, and member aznsx in particular)

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have the Nichia 219c become less green tinged? What about availability of that Nichia 300 something?

I too ordered from illumination gear years ago, getting an Eag Tac with a good choice of emitter. In fact, ordered one with an SST-20 last night (thanks to this thread, and member aznsx in particular)

at 4000k colour temp theirs definitely no green in my rrt01. I haven't seen any green in a neutral tint nichia in years 🤷🏻*♂️

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not sure exactly what you are looking for and are limiting yourself to something such as cr123a support but these days high cri has been the easiest to obtain out of all history as most component manufactures are moving toward offering high(er) CRI as standard. This obviously trickles down to flashlights as the greater availably of LEDs that can be used.

I would add that at the same time as high CRI there has also been the expansion of different CCTs available with High CRI. I have lights 1800k-6500k all high cri where as in the past you would be lucky to find 4000k only in high cri. My suggestion would be to broaden your search of manufacturers away from the big players that existed years ago and to also learn to mod your lights. The sky is the limit these days.

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are some dealers that seem to specialize in High CRI models and I think they have some runs done by manufacturers with high CRI emitters put in them.

Illumn is a good one. IlluminationGear is a good one.

I got a Folomov light off Amazon with a Nichia 219d emitter because I never saw a 219d before, it is pretty warm colored and works pretty nice.

There are a few brands on chinese websites Banggood and I think Alieexpress that have a choice of emitter. I'm not sure how high CRI the SST40 is.

Some "other forums" seem to have good interest in high CRI, too. They organize special runs or group buys of lights with High CRI emitters.

I have been finding my favorite manufacturers and/or dealers and feeding them business. Just keep an eye out for what you're looking for. You can find it!

TA_ls1

Enlightened
I'm looking at the Jetbeam options, mainly the rrt01 and rrt03 in nichia. I really like the rrt03 with the triple nichia and the colors, and it seems to be compatible with 18500, CR123A and RCR123As. What do you all think about the rrt01 and the rrt03, is there any reason to go with the rrt01 over the 3?

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
RRT-03 has only 3 brightness levels and the lowest is not low enough for me.. not recommended

RRT-01 has Infinitely Variable Stepless Rotary UI.. it is in a league apart

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it's easier than ever nowdays to find high cri options. Look into emisar, noctigon, and fireflies.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
Battery Junction has a whole section called "High CRI Flashlights".
There are currently 52 listed, but many of them seem to be some variety of RoxyVon keychain lights.

Fireclaw18

Flashlight Enthusiast
Jetbeam rrto1 with the Nichia 219c should do nicely. Rotary, 4000k and hi cri. I really like that they added a tail switch this year

Only if you mod it.

Jetbeam chose a 70-CRI Nichia 219c for the 2020 RRT-01. It looks pretty bad.

However, if you are comfortable modding, it is not hard to emitter-swap it to a 90-CRI 219c. That's what I did with mine.

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only if you mod it.

Jetbeam chose a 70-CRI Nichia 219c for the 2020 RRT-01. It looks pretty bad.

However, if you are comfortable modding, it is not hard to emitter-swap it to a 90-CRI 219c. That's what I did with mine.

The tint in mine looks good, I definitely don't think it needs an emitter swap. Perhaps theirs still some tint lottery.
I don't see it possibly being any less than 85 cri, maybe you got a mislabeled cool white ?

Edit; I checked into it and the xpg3 is 80 cri and many complain of green tint, the Nichia is 90 cri

Last edited: