Black Diamond Spot 350 waterproof with Eneloop?

kkay

Newly Enlightened
I bought some Eneloops for my Black Diamond Spot 350. I also have a Princeton Tec Remix. The Remix is water resistant, not waterproof. I read it may not be bright enough with rechargeable batteries. So I got the Eneloops mainly for the Black Diamond headlamp. On the back of the package of batteries it said they are not to be used in waterproof flashlights. I did not know that, when I purchased these. So I looked for comments. Someone said that means not to use underwater. But I am not sure that was correct.

Hopefully someone can tell me if the AAA waterproof headlamp is okay to use the Eneloop or not. It also said not to charge them in sunlight. The charger has usb capability. I thought that was good, so if my batteries ran low, I could charge in my vehicle. Then it talked about radio freq when charging as well. I did a search here, but found nothing.

The charger I have is able to charge in a wall socket, or usb. But the standard usb goes into the charger. The part you plug in with looks to be a micro. That would work in my vehicle, but not my house. If anyone knows about these things, please fill me in.

Szemhazai

Enlightened
Basically it''s only a legal precaution - in case of a hydrogen build-up during over-discharge of the cells that may cause the explosion - in water resistance (not airtight) equipment you don't have to worry about that.

kkay

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for your thoughts Szemhazai. That is what it sounded like. I wish I had known this before purchasing these batteries and charger (online). I saw no comments about this issue. I heard very good things about their rechargeable batteries. I have alkaline AAA. But I do not have much need for AAA rechargeable, besides the headlamp. I do have one flashlight that I do not use very much that is AAA. That one is not waterproof, but water resistant. My two most used flashlights are CR123.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're concerned about hydrogen leaking out of the batteries, I suggest investing in a waterproof light made for Ni-MH batteries. Princeton Tec makes some decent lights with platinum catalyst pellets to absorb hydrogen. I'm sure other companies do as well. You usually only have issues when the batteries go bad. I've only seen batteries vent in AA metal tube lights causing the rubber tail cap to inflate. Never had a problem with 3 aaa headlights in this area. Newer eneloops last up to 2100 charges so you'll likely wear out the light before having to deal with the possibility of your batteries venting.