Adding checkering / texture to Surefire E2T Tactician head

masakari

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know how or where to get checkering/texture added to a SureFire tactician head? Being that you're supposed to be able to spin it to select low mode, it's very surprising that there is no texture to it.
Thanks

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might try "Talon Grip". It's a rubbery, textured, self-adhesive material. They make it for specific handgun grips, but they also make it in a plain sheet. I think the one I got was 5" x 7".

masakari

Newly Enlightened
You might try "Talon Grip". It's a rubbery, textured, self-adhesive material. They make it for specific handgun grips, but they also make it in a plain sheet. I think the one I got was 5" x 7".

Not a terrible idea, but I'm more so looking to texture the metal itself, kind of like the checkering that's already on the body.

LRJ88

Enlightened
Where on the head would you put it? I've always used the slots in the head for extra grip when needed, if you have the first version with 6 slots that might be harder though.

CanAm

Newly Enlightened
If you want to get it knurled, anyone with a machinist's lathe should be able to do it. Of course, it'll damage the anodizing and may not be a great match to what's on the body already.

I'd be inclined to look at the grip material recommended above. If it was my own light, I might try a wrap or two of gaff tape.

Another thought that comes to mind - make sure your threads are lightly lubricated with something suitable. This should make it move more lightly and smoother. You may also want to try inserting a very thin o-ring at the base of the threads on the body. The rubber will stop the head from loosening on it's own, but you won't have metal-on-metal torque to break when adjusting the head.

Apologies if any of these ideas are already obvious to you, I'm just running through what my own troubleshooting would be in this case.

masakari

Newly Enlightened
Where on the head would you put it? I've always used the slots in the head for extra grip when needed, if you have the first version with 6 slots that might be harder though.

I would just want it around the head, and I guess in-between the slots. Both of mine have 8 slots, they really don't offer any traction.

If you want to get it knurled, anyone with a machinist's lathe should be able to do it. Of course, it'll damage the anodizing and may not be a great match to what's on the body already.

I'd be inclined to look at the grip material recommended above. If it was my own light, I might try a wrap or two of gaff tape.

Another thought that comes to mind - make sure your threads are lightly lubricated with something suitable. This should make it move more lightly and smoother. You may also want to try inserting a very thin o-ring at the base of the threads on the body. The rubber will stop the head from loosening on it's own, but you won't have metal-on-metal torque to break when adjusting the head.

Apologies if any of these ideas are already obvious to you, I'm just running through what my own troubleshooting would be in this case.

Knurling... That's the word that I was looking for!
Anyway, yeah I figure that it'll cut though the anodizing, whatever. I just want some texture. But I don't want texture like sandpaper that'll damage my pockets, or tacky that will make it hard to get out. The standard knurling on the Surefire body would be perfect I think.
As far as the lubricant / grease, what is good? My heads are always hard to turn the first time of the day, but then if I keep turning it, it loosens up. Leave it on my pocket for a bit, and the head is hard to turn again.
So I'll consider whatever option really.

CanAm

Newly Enlightened
Knurling... That's the word that I was looking for!
Anyway, yeah I figure that it'll cut though the anodizing, whatever. I just want some texture. But I don't want texture like sandpaper that'll damage my pockets, or tacky that will make it hard to get out. The standard knurling on the Surefire body would be perfect I think.
As far as the lubricant / grease, what is good? My heads are always hard to turn the first time of the day, but then if I keep turning it, it loosens up. Leave it on my pocket for a bit, and the head is hard to turn again.
So I'll consider whatever option really.

There is a list of recommended lubes and greases stickied on the general flashlight discussion forum. I'd recommend looking there for some options. I used to use molybdenum grease a lot, because I had it on hand and it was available at work at my previous job. Apparently this is not advisable though. I've since been using super lube from the local hardware store. Check that thread though, the posters there are more knowledgeable than I am.

As far as knurling - ask a friend with some machining or mechanic's experience. They may be able to take care of it for you one day after work. It shouldn't be hard to do for someone with a lathe.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, but be serious:
NOT A GOOD IDEA!
"Adding" a knurling on a finished, anodized light is complete BS.
If that "service" does not immediately kill the head (my best guess, btw.), then it will look totally awful.
Like scraped down on a grinding wheel.

IF you really want such a look, then grab a very fine sandpaper instead and try very, very light sanding just on the anodizing.
(In the same direction as the notches lie.)
You dont need a total knurling, but just a bit more grip than original on the anodizing.
Carefully (and just slightly) made, alongside the head, that could be enough
and might still render the light pleasant to look at.

Last edited: