• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Mahi head with Osram

daffy

Enlightened
Took it out again last 2 nights while doing the bike/dog trailer routine i do every night.
Such a throwy little light that barely gets warm.
14500 goodness at its useful best.

carrot

Flashaholic
Took it out again last 2 nights while doing the bike/dog trailer routine i do every night.
Such a throwy little light that barely gets warm.
14500 goodness at its useful best.

What is it with you people trying to make me spend money? I've been ogling the Mahi/14500 for awhile now, not sure what will make me pull the trigger but you've definitely made that finger itch. If I didn't have something coming from Don already that'd have sent me over.

Do you have any other throwers you might compare it to?

daffy

Enlightened
It also throws to beyond 140 meters but much past that i cant identify an object unless i already know what it is.
I have plenty of other Osram throwers same LED, but all my other 14500 throwers except 1 are overdriven severely.
Manker T01 Mk2 is closest in candela it has a 14 deg beam angle, i can't exactly figure out the Mahi head beam angle.
Ergonomically the 14500 body fits my hands perfectly and the rear clicky has just the right amount of effort to use the light.
Since being a torch enthusiast the McGizmo was my last expensive purchase and it lives right alongside my Ti Okluma as a form and function usable light for many situations.
I fell into the ultra lumens trap when i first started, my throwers have to be CW anything else can be higher CRI i prefer 5000K.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't used my Mahi much since I got it, as nice as it is, I'm particularly prone to the Haiku.
The Mahi has a nice beam and works well with most LEDs I've tried but for my tastes it needs something punchy in it like the Osram to warrant the extra bulk.
Got myself some Cree XP-P in 5000K which are reasonably comparable to the Osram at the drive currents I'm running (using a 3S ~650mA on high).
I'm a fan of nice tints and high CRI but can make exception for this set up. Low CRI, tint isn't bad but the throw is great.
I measured about 1/3 more throw using a 119V 3S in the Mahi compared to Haiku (from memory, a while ago). A quick and dodgey test shows I'm getting about 5x Haiku 119V and about 4x Haiku XPG2 throw using the Mahi XPP.
Haven't tried the XPP in a Haiku, don't intend to.
After a bit more play I'll set up a test as best as I can and get some figures in cd for the Haiku and Mahi for reference.
I'm happy with what I'm seeing so far.

Edit:

Did some more (pretty dodgey) measurements and I got 3.9x more lux out of the Mahi/XPP vs Haiku/XPG2.
All pretty arbitrary, and using the same (XPP) LED in both heads would give a better reference point, but interesting none the less. I wasn't happy with the figures I was getting as they were at odds with what I last remember recording (lux figures of the Haiku similar to Don's) so I'm not including them.
Obviously given the same LED, then the difference would not be so great (I remember getting about an extra third lux comparing the 119V in Haiku vs Mahi as I mentioned.
Whatever the case, it's not surprising that you'll get much greater throw by choosing one of Don's Osram LEs regardless.
My not so scientific test was done using a phone app light meter at a distance of 1m and 5m.

Last edited:

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went for a walk the other night with the Mahi and tested it out at a park along the way which I could easily reference later to measure.
Just checked, and I was able to get plenty of light on objects 130m away. That's pretty decent for ~650mA of power.
I reckon it can throw usable light a fair bit further than that, particularly with no other light sources around.

meddlecho

Newly Enlightened
Mahi head is great. I have a Tana SuperLE with OSRAM in mine. Quite the thrower!

autumncrown

Newly Enlightened
Are folks using the W1 or W2 emitters? I imagine W1 would be more appropriate for lower power drivers, but maybe w2 would keep cooler at higher powers around 3 amps?

Edit: it looks like don lists his as "osram kw cslnn1" but I think he means "osram kw cslnm1" or W1, yes?

Last edited:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Are folks using the W1 or W2 emitters? I imagine W1 would be more appropriate for lower power drivers, but maybe w2 would keep cooler at higher powers around 3 amps?

Edit: it looks like don lists his as "osram kw cslnn1" but I think he means "osram kw cslnm1" or W1, yes?
Yes, you are correct.

Latest posts