KL1 Reflector

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Simple mod for those that really want a reflector in a KL1. Take a Mag 2AA (or Brinkman Legend 2AA) reflector and trim down the bottom carefully till the hole enlarges. Trim the top lip off and it slips into the KL1 head. I was surprised at how well it worked. There's a few minor artifacts but overall I don't mind since the stipled reflector seems to diminish the light output somewhat. LED's are less prone to artifacts since they emit from a larger area. Artifacts are only visible very close up (less than 2ft) Otherwise, it's a fairly smooth beam. I'll post pictures later after I re-learn posting pics on logicnerd's hosting site. I thought about doing this in a sandwich Mag 2aa host but went for the KL1 instead since I don't have the 2AA Badboy setup.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Picture

152_5275_IMG.sized.jpg

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Crud, I just sold my last KL1 because I much prefer the reflector on the PR-T and my KL4/R2H mod. I even have a couple of Darkzero's stippled reflectors here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Peter

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
What's amazing is how indistinguishable the beam is compared to the KL4 and the Arc. I figured out what's causing the artifacts. It was my sloppy dremel work. After smoothing out the hole I enlarged, it went away. I know with a few more practice runs, I can perfect this. Key is to not run the dremel at too high a speed or heat builds up and the plastic softens and gets "pushed" away instead of being cut away. Now if I can just figure out how to get more Mag 2AA reflectors.

Another variation (just for you, Litfuse, Mr. Arc mod /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) is to do the same reflector mod and put the reflector in the Arc LS. It will probably work much better because of the way the Arc is built with the circuit board pushing up against the reflector. The reflector does not have the same depth as the NX05 so in the KL1, there is a gap that needs to be taken up. Not so with the Arc. OK Litfuse, ball's in your court /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

chrisse242

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
CM said:
Now if I can just figure out how to get more Mag 2AA reflectors.

[/ QUOTE ]

In germany minimag reflectors are sold as replacements by some shops. This should be same all over the world but perhaps it would be best to ask darkzero who is selling modified reflectors right now. Perhaps he has a few spares or can tell you where to get them.

Chrisse

balrog

Enlightened
You can get MiniMag reflectors for about $10 that come with 2 free AAs, a body, bezel, head, ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But on the serious side, there must be a whole bunch of reflectors that people have left over from dropping in a BB or MM sandwich into their minimags. Or you can check with darkzero. See his earlier thread on modified minimag reflectors for HDs.

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
CM,

Check these out. http://www.flashlightking.com/

BTW, the little reflectors that Wayne J is selling are killer and I suspect that they require less work, although I havent' put one in a KL1 yet. I have a KL1 on the way for modding and I'm gonna try both the mini m@g reflector and Wayne's reflector. I'm kinda hoping that the mini m@g reflector works better, since they are under $2 each.

You should still get your hands on some of Wayne's reflectors. These things are tiny. Smaller than the NX05 and perform way better than a turned down optic.

I did put one of the mini m@g reflectors in a home brew light and decided to keep it instead of the turned down PR because of the extra performance. Your description of the artifacts is right on too.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys, thanks for the info. Flashlightking looks to be the cheapest at $1.00. I tried this mod unsuccessfully about a year ago and got crappy results. Glad I decided to give it a go again. I think I'm gonna try the Arc LS now when I have the time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chop, does it really do as good as a turned down PR? That would be great since this is a cheap and easy mod to do.

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cris, dropping one of these into an Arc LS is now on my "to-do" list. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

What would be the best way to remove the "shoulder" from the front of the reflector in order to reduce it's diameter?

Peter

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Litfuse,

You won't believe this but I used toe nail clippers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Not kidding. My dremel went out (brushes need to be replaced) so out came the toenail clippers. Sandpaper to finish it off smooth. Just to show ya any dummmy, even like me, can do this. Now for the obligatory boring white wall beam shot.

Mag reflector on the left, Arc4+ on the right on level 1. The KL1 is driven at stock bias using TVOJ. Pretty decent LED, I can't want to bump up the bias to 700mA.

152_5277_IMG.sized.jpg

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
Time to get myself a new pair of toenail clippers! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Very nice beamshot. I hope Peter doesn't cut me off for using a gag reflector in an Arc LS. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Peter

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
DOH! Arc and gag. OK, it wasn't my idea. What an unholy marriage! Sheesh!

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're interested, I posted something called, To orange peel or not to orange peel. In that post I took some beam shots comparing the mini m@g reflector to a turned down PR.

CM, in answer to your question, let me just say this. I replaced the turned down PR in my EDC with a mini m@g reflector. It does perform as well as or better than a modded KL4.

If you order from Flashlight king, you might as well order some big m@g reflectors too. The shipping, at $5 just isn't worth ordering a couple of little reflectors. I think I got 20 of them. They're great.

kj

Enlightened
Chop,

In my experience, the modified MiniMag reflector produces a tight spot and a boundary between the spot and sidespill is rather clear. The IMS reflector that EL is selling produces a little more smooth beam. You can find a few beamshots on my page.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chop,

I agree. I looked at shipping and tried to "maximize" my return /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif They've got some other goodies there. I plan on getting about 10-15 m@g reflectors, plus maybe some other goodies.

Mr Bombastic,

I use a rubber strap wrench and some heat.

robstarr-lite

Newly Enlightened
i tried this in an arc LS (grey), with a LD i get a very dark spot in the middle which i can adjust to a light brownish color...( dark like in using a 5 watter with NX05)....but, adjustable to just a light brown spot....[better but still noticable]..( in fact the brown spot gives an effect like something "burned" in the lens ....also tried it with a HD.... there is still a dark spot except it is much much smaller ...much more useable but the spot is still there.........is this mod basically for the HDs only...or am i missing a technique here...

will continue playing with this and i
appreciate any suggestions.....

thxs, rob

Chop

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're getting a dark spot, you did something wrong. You either took too much or not enough material off. I get no spot at all.

robstarr-lite

Newly Enlightened
tried this out in a minimag and wow-focusable with kroll of course, not bad with a LD...oooow....very interesting....something to do now...on to the HD's and colored LEDs.... oh my...glad i never thru away those MiniMag reflectors!!

robstarr-lite

Newly Enlightened
tony,, i started by opening the reflector led end so that it rested on the black mold edge of the led. i had to trim the circumferance so it would fit into an arc head...must be careful here so the fin does not break the inductor ( so i trimmed off the fins...this gave me a black hole...[ i don't want to sink to far into the arc circuit for fear of breaking the inductor or smt),switching to an arc LS with a HD produced much less dark center ( infact i got a dual center beam..how's that for centering! ( then i read thru darkzero's post where he states this is for HDs........ if i sink the LD into the reflector some more, i get a brown spot...but its different with the HD...HDs much better, tried it in LD Madmax pill on a minimag and its focusable....wow....like a HD with fixed optics like NX05....seriously.....tried another and it did wonders when i switched out the NX05 optic with a 5 Watt die (i had modded in an Arc LS)...no more center "hole" and not quite a flood beam [like using a MCflood reflector], so that was a big plus...( more even than using an NX05 w/washer under the led )...just have to try a couple more till i get it right...arc LS with LD just does not work resting...maybe i can sink it some more........thxs, rob