HDS Systems        

Thread: Anyone read paper anymore?

Default Anyone read paper anymore?

Stuart

Default Re: Anyone read paper anymore?

Yes. At the moment, N.T. Wright: Romans.

Acebeam X45 and XF45 1863-S half eagle.
    2 Cor 5:6-8

Hi Stu,
    I expected this to pertain to paper newspapers.

In grammar and high school, I hated to read. I was a very slow reader, but with 100% comprehension. I'd check myself at the end of each paragraph, and go back and re-read it if I didn't understand it, or if my mind wandered and I didn't really read it. I'd read comic books, physics, or chemistry books at the same speed. When in college, that served me well, and some times, I'd read the book instead of going to class, and just show up for tests.

Eventually, I got into reading for pleasure, and knowledge. Primarily, Star Trek novels for pleasure. They were really easy to get into because I already knew half of the characters in the book. And WWII and Viet Nam war, history. During that period of my life, we had the newspaper delivered, and I read it sometimes.

Then as I aged, my vision changed, and reading became a chore, not fun anymore. Only after feeling more comfortable wearing glasses, even for watching television, did I return to reading as a pastime. In recent years, I've been reading Irish, Scotch, Early England, and Norseman histories, and The Bible. Most are hard cover books, I borrowed from the Library. I do have a few downloaded onto my phone, and an audio book or two.

Because it is hard (next to impossible) to read my phone while wearing sunglasses at the beach, I bought a paperback.

I can't remember the last time I bought and read a newspaper. Maybe once a month, I read the local paper that gets delivered once a week. The online newspapers, are annoying in that they are more click bait than anything else... headlines, and a paragraph, and then... buy a subscription if you want to read the story. I am truly annoyed that google puts them at the top of any search, without identifying them as advertisements.
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

I too thought this was about a newspaper.
    I learned to read using Readers Digest. The education system tried their best to teach me, yet on graduation day I could read the words on my diploma but did not understand what they meant. College said it was dyslexia holding me back and offered special help. "No thanks" I replied.

One day the light turned on. It was like that episode of the symptoms where Homer was mad that the dog never listened. They showed the world through the dogs mind and when someone spoke to him it sounded like the teacher in the Charlie Brown cartoons. Mwah mwah waaah. Then one day the dog heard "sit" and sat. It was kinda like that. After that I'd devour Readers Digest cover to cover each month. It's funny this topic should pop up because I just bought one the other day in the grocery store.

I prefer reading specs and standards at my job in book form but at $50 a pop the company prefers I download the no cost PDF version(s).
    Last edited by bykfixer; 04-19-2021 at 06:07 AM.
    John 3:16

bykfixer, I'm glad to hear that your brain fixed that for you!

A friend of mine got through College, and Post grad by taking his tests orally. He had significant dyslexia, and they made that accommodation for him.
    My Grand Kids call me Poppy

Flashaholic*

I miss the comics and want adds only. Can't justify paying for a subscription when I can now get most of the news and stuff free. I feel bad for the newspaper industry though. The Birmingham news' Sunday paper used to be thick and heavy, but now it is as thin as a methhead.

From about 7:50-8:00am at my computer I catch up on the news. Maybe see some funny/interesting videos, learn a few things. Then I go into our break room and scan the local newspaper...I wonder if it's from yesterday or the day before. Nope, it's today's paper.

Regarding books, I miss an actual hard cover. I have a kindle now, so I feel locked into that. It's ok but just not the same.
    GOOD TINT!

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by StuGatz View Post

That iced tea looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by greenpondmike View Post
    That iced tea looks good.
    Thanks but actually a Negroni with a San Pellegrino water back.
    Stuart

my brain sux i cant read over a few paragraphs before my mind wanders no matter how hard i try to concetrate. i do a lot better if its tech manuals
    LED's have gotten too bright in our stuff. Many nights I'm awakened by my modem lights blinking.had help with my sig thank you for your help.

Only out-of-print books...

I usually do the ebook thing, but I own a lot of books that get re-read. I do have ear paper when the ebook isnít available at the library. Itís too easy to log on to the library and download a new read...
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    -- Albert Einstein

The times I had to use e-textbooks in school ~10 years ago I struggled - very difficult to scan for content on a screen for reference vs turn to it in a bound book.
    I apologize that this letter is so long; I did not have time to write a short letter

Quote Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
    Hi Stu,
    I expected this to pertain to paper newspapers...

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    I too thought this was about a newspaper.
    Yes, gentlemen. I thought that "paper" could be inclusive of hardbound books, newspapers, and the plethora of "paperback" tomes branching off to comic books and magazines but I digress. Thought that "paper" was a bit poetic but upon hindsight realize the many other forms of non digital manuscript such as parchment, stone, or knots. But yeah, pretty much all non-digital forms.
    Stuart

Kindle paperwhite can't handle non-fiction book graphics at all (maps, drawings, illustrations, paintings, etc.). I actually stopped reading a kindle ebook and got the hardcover and the kindles was only showing maybe a fourth of the book graphics, skipping many. And I'm reading more non-fiction, so the library is getting more of my hardcover borrowing business. For fiction, I still prefer kindle ebooks.

At my work they supply us with an iPad and PDF drawings. That certainly has its advantages, yes. But an old fashioned paper copy of the drawings is so much faster at times. To scale, edit, and write as-built info is splendid using the editable electronic format. Yet when I just want to know how many square yards of patch is called for at a certain location or is the item facing north, south, east or west the paper drawing is so much faster. And I've yet to figure out how to use a PDF for toilet paper in an emergency.
    John 3:16