Why is deleting Facebook is so hard?

markr6

Flashaholic
Well, a few clicks and it would be toast. But getting to that point seems to be the hard part. I always thought it would be good to go low key and get off the radar. Especially after some data breaches. I even saw some headlines in the news about deleting Facebook recently.

I would miss my photo albums, just for my own recollection. Sure I have the originals, but I like the organization. And while I don't have many friends added, it's still nice to keep tabs on some people I would otherwise never talk to. I'll have someone reach out on occasion for help with something or a question. I do the same. Even sparked a date with some smoking hot girl I only met once thru a friend and became "friends" 11 years ago. And recently I just threw out an "anyone have any free firewood?" and scored a ton of prime oak that I went and cut up. Stuff like that.

ferthur

Newly Enlightened
When I deleted my facebook account I had to do it through the mobile app. The website wanted a captcha and no matter how hard I looked at it, double checked it or even asked other people, facebook said it was wrong. Then, once you do get the account "deleted" it's not. You have to not log in for a week or two and then, as long as you haven't logged in anywhere else, it should be gone.

They make it hard because you deleting your account doesn't do them any good.

Every once in a while I wish I still had it to get in touch with someone, but by and large I don't miss it at all. Then again, I didn't use it much to begin with.

BrightestBulb

Newly Enlightened
I just deleted mine on my desktop and it was easy. I got tired of the censoring hardly being able to speak without getting 30 day suspensions. I probably was suspended more than I was actually on! They have you wait 30 days in case you change your mind. Also you can download a copy of all your data or select a-la-cart. I recommend anyone opening a new account use all fake info including a disposable email address and surf always using a VPN. IMO they are a slimy company who should not be trusted with your real data. There are some cool things on Facebook and this way you can enjoy them without Facebook monetizing your data and or possibly losing it.

Last edited:

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
fb is java heavy and can install stuff on your browser that you can't easily get rid of unless you delete your browser.
Best to manually and completely delete everything on your wall instead of letting them do it. You just might have a paragraph or two left from years back that they haven't claimed yet.

BrightestBulb

Newly Enlightened
fb is java heavy and can install stuff on your browser that you can't easily get rid of unless you delete your browser.
Best to manually and completely delete everything on your wall instead of letting them do it. You just might have a paragraph or two left from years back that they haven't claimed yet.

I am far from a computer expert but I empty my cache after each session...will that delete everything???

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am far from a computer expert but I empty my cache after each session...will that delete everything???

No, the cache only stores stuff to make pages load faster. It can be useful, but if too full it can be detrimental. To get rid of fb junk you might have to delete your data also or uninstall (if you can) and reinstall your browser IMHO to get rid of the fb nasties. After what I've learned I would only get on there with an old phone or tablet that connects to wifi only (no service) and has been emptied of everything- factory refresh. Stay low key and don't give any opinions or let your personality show. Too late for me- I think they know me better than my wife of 24 years does.
I won't let anything I still used regular be facebooked. We do have an old worn out cheap tablet if we chose to get on fb.

WarriorOfLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is the system of each social network making the deleting a difficult as possible. And I am sure even if everything is deleted and you removed your account they will still keep your data.
The good point on my side is I never had a Facebook / Google / Apple account since I do not own a Smartphone, since I am smart enough.

For the stuff of the modern times I can recommend the Book "Qualityland". The original is in German but is it also available in english:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/1538732963/?tag=cpf0b6-20

In the Book Facebook is named "Everybody", and there is really everyone in this social network, since "Everybody" is named "Everybody" and not "Almost Everybody". Basically it is the same with Facebook .... at least more or less!

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

CPF is the totality of my social media.

(although, just being online is another subject)

aginthelaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
just put in the wrong password a few times until you get locked out and in a few weeks, they'll close your account without telling you. and you can never get it back.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Find you some donald trump videos, post 'em and they'll ban you for life.
My son deleted his facebook account 5 years ago, or so he thought because his name still shows in my friends list. His icon is "grey'd out".

You can stop using facebook but the data is there from now on. Also remember facebook and google share info so there's that too. About the only way to leave the grid these days is to fake your death and live incognito like somebody in witness protection does.

Last edited:

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
^ is it best to register as alias on social media, or does it not matter as Google knows your true identity?

I am out of FB, although haven't confirmed this with other "friends" who are still active in the website

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Registering as an alias won't stop the big G or zuckerboys goons from knowing your real info. Most on facebook want their moment in the sun so they make sure all of their fans can easily find them. Registering under an alias will keep all of those folks from high school you never liked from hassling you to friend them or like their page. It'll also keep your boss from knowing you were liking a Larry Bird video instead of working.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before closing my FB account I unfriended everyone, and deleted all photos, with exceptions worthy of saving 🇺🇲🙏
FB-IMG-1583416305177.jpg

turbodog

Flashaholic
It's hard due to that imagined long lost friend that will find you. But in reality, they can find a common friend and ask them how to find you.

I went scorched earth 2 months ago. Shutdown FB, linked in, and twitter.