Tenergy - How Do They Stack Up?

kilogulf59

Enlightened
My apology, in advance, if this has been asked before. I searched CPF and did not find an answer; the Tenergy related information I did find was years old.

As a battery line (my main concern here is their NiMH products), how do they compare/rate with the others? From the little I know, in the AAA and AA categories, Panasonic Eneloops are still king (cost notwithstanding), nonetheless, how good or bad are Tenergy cells in those and the C, D, and 9 v categories?

ledbetter

Enlightened
I've had bad luck with Tenergy batteries and have purged all from rotation. Eneloops are the way to go, but for a bargain, I've had good luck with Amazon basics though I believe they've changed manufacturing sources at least once. But with Amazon return policies, you really can't go wrong. Bottom line- Eneloops.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a few tenergy C and D cell centuras, they seem OK, not as good as eneloops for self discharge but not horrible like old high self discharge NiMH's. I also have some soshine C and D NiMH's and I kinda prefer them to the centuras because they have a little higher capacity.

kilogulf59

Enlightened
Thanks for the input.

I'm really surprised Eneloop never manufactured C, D, and 9v cells. I have been using, for years now, Eneloop AA's with C adapters in a spotlight. Works great and the cost savings over disposables has been unreal.

Macgravy

Newly Enlightened
I have not tried any Tenergy batteries, but last June I purchased a set (quantity 4) of Amazon Basics NIMH Size C's & D's. I did write a review last June on the D's on the Amazon web site. The C's were almost identical except for the capacity. I didn't update the review yet, but I kept 1 cell of each on the shelf for 9 months. Both C and D cells were ~90% of rated capacity. So there is some LSD properties. I will be updating review in June hopefully. Three batteries are in use. The D's are in an old 3 cell Mag lite with a cheapie LED update. The C's are in a 3 cell 1975's style Sony radio. The radio gets used for ~30 min almost every day. The C's are still holding on. The D's in the Mag Lite doesn't get used at all, other to check every month for 5 seconds. I will be doing a discharge/charge cycle in June to check on the batteries capacity after a year of light usage and updating my review. I don't have any idea on longevity of the cells. There are/were C's & D's Eneloops, but only in Japan. They were much lower capacity, like they were stuffed with 1 or 2 AAA or AA cells. Don't know if they are still available today.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
in a word underwhelming.
centura 9v self discharges faster than the $0.50 gp 170's i bought 3 years ago.
the 1000mah aa nicads struggle to reach 800.
and the c and d quickly go high ir or sd to 0v
had some blue aa nimh and those were way under spec and died with high ir in 12 cycles.

Last edited: