Is there a 4157 ceramic bulb socket available?

eggsalad

Enlightened
It has come to my attention that the DRL on my 2002 Chevrolet Silverado are not working. Apparently, this is a consistent issue with the GMT800 series of trucks. Digging around the 'net, it seems like the sockets and wiring GM installed weren't up to the task of running constantly. I know that for headlight bulbs, one can achieve more heat resistance with a ceramic socket. But I can't find any existence of a ceramic 4157 socket.

Or should I just install new nylon(?) sockets and go to a Zevo 3157?

ziprel

Newly Enlightened
Old but relevant thread:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...ulator-help!&p=2732834&viewfull=1#post2732834

Firsthand experience: LED 3157s don't work at all in those DRL housings. My family used to have a 2001 Suburban and back in the day we'd try out various 3157s in the DRLs (that would all burn out) before learning about the 4114 bulb. Only 2 pairs of those were needed from 2007 until 2019 when we moved on from the truck.

Bulbs

And on the high chance your sockets are fouled: GM Socket

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
It has come to my attention that the DRL on my 2002 Chevrolet Silverado are not working. Apparently, this is a consistent issue with the GMT800 series of trucks. Digging around the 'net, it seems like the sockets and wiring GM installed weren't up to the task of running constantly.

Are the bulbs burning out or is the socket not giving a good connection? If they're just burning out, install the #4114 (14V bulb) and move on.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Signal bulb sockets are not universal like headlight bulb sockets; there is a huge variety of sockets that accept this kind of bulb, but only the correct one will place the bulb in the right location within the lamp and correctly seal out water and dirt, etc. As far as I know there's no ceramic socket, but I'd like to point out that you're dealing with a constant-usage socket on a truck that is almost 10 years old! This is not an early or unreasonable failure. Just replace the socket with the correct original-type item and you should be good to go for another reasonably long number of years.

As far as bulbs go, the only LED that might possibly work OK is this one (same bulb also available in "4157" and "4114" package). You would need to evaluate their performance as described here.

Otherwise just get the 4114 bulbs.

Important: do not use amber bulbs of any kind in this application.

eggsalad

Enlightened
Signal bulb sockets are not universal like headlight bulb sockets; there is a huge variety of sockets that accept this kind of bulb, but only the correct one will place the bulb in the right location within the lamp and correctly seal out water and dirt, etc. As far as I know there's no ceramic socket,
Gotcha!

but I'd like to point out that you're dealing with a constant-usage socket on a truck that is almost 10 years old! This is not an early or unreasonable failure. Just replace the socket with the correct original-type item and you should be good to go for another reasonably long number of years.

Virgil, it's a clear sign you're getting older when you think a 2002 model is "almost 10 years old"! :) We're within a few months of it being TWENTY years old!

As far as bulbs go, the only LED that might possibly work OK is this one (same bulb also available in "4157" and "4114" package). You would need to evaluate their performance as described here.

Otherwise just get the 4114 bulbs.

I've ordered the 4114 bulbs. When they come in, I'll investigate the sockets and replace as necessary. Thanks for the tips.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Virgil, it's a clear sign you're getting older when you think a 2002 model is "almost 10 years old"! :) We're within a few months of it being TWENTY years old!

This misunderstanding could have been completely avoided if only you'd read what I meant instead of what I typed! ;-)

eggsalad

Enlightened
Finale:

I ordered the Sylvania bulbs in the link. Sadly, I got Chinesium Bosch bulbs instead, but... well that's Amazon.

The sockets didn't look all that bad. For all I know, the bulbs could have burned out 3 months after the truck went into service and never been replaced. Because I'd already dug it out of the bin, I sprayed the contacts with some DeoxIT, installed the bulbs, and all is well.

As always, thanks to all of you for your help.