Battery charging quetion.............not for flashlights

Chris C

Newly Enlightened
I have a Yaesu VX-170 hand held amateur radio. Have had it about 13 years now. Battery has just about had it and I've been looking for a good one to replace it with. I stumbled onto a Lithium Ion battery for the radio. GREAT! But I've got the Ni-cad charger that came with the radio initially. It's a desk model #CD-30. Would it be safe to charge that battery on that charger? And can you tell me any negative aspects I might expect if I decide to buy the Lith-ion battery?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
First off nicad and lithium ion are totally different battery types and voltages. You cannot charge one on the others charger unless that charger is designed for doing so. If the lithium ion pack has the ability to give you the right voltage (within range) it should work but you will need a separate charger for that battery be it a pack or stand alone individual cells.
Lithium ion is IMO better than nicad but are NOT designed to trickle charge like Nicad can.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Thread moved to Non-Flashlight Electronics

I think this topic is best suited to this subforum, but if OP would rather have it in either the Batteries subforum or the Gear / Electronics / Power subforum, just let staff here know.

The Q/P/S subforum is for (meta-)questions about the CPF forum itself

Chris C

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for moving this. I knew to come to this forum from all the help members gave me when I was dealing with an LED flashlight...............but didn't really know where to post this question.

So if I can buy an NiMH battery for the radio, would my NiCd charger charge it safely?

adnj

Enlightened
Thank you for moving this. I knew to come to this forum from all the help members gave me when I was dealing with an LED flashlight...............but didn't really know where to post this question.

So if I can buy an NiMH battery for the radio, would my NiCd charger charge it safely?

In general, the NiMH battery could be overcharged if the charger base is not designed to charge both NiCd and NiMH.

I use two-ways often. It's usually not worth the risk of damaging a battery pack with a charger base mismatch. You will be able to find aftermarket batteries with a charger included for that particular radio for just a few dollars more.

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I just briefly searched for your radio battery and Yaesu says the radio comes with a 1400mah NIMH battery to begin with so replacing it with another nimh battery should be fine. As it is 7.2v a lithium ion pack (if possible) would require a special balance charger and circuitry and maybe a second connector you won't be able to use the charging base. Basically speaking unless you are already tech savvy it is likely you won't want to do this upgrade on your own.

Chris C

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, guys. Not what I wanted to hear, but I have to agree. Appreciate the comments.

turbodog

Flashaholic
In general, the NiMH battery could be overcharged if the charger base is not designed to charge both NiCd and NiMH.

The exception to this would be if the charger is a dumb trickle charger. If the batteries are same capacity, then you are good. Often nimh is higher capacity (than nicd) so that's even safer as the current/capacity ratio is more favorable to trickle charge.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
The exception to this would be if the charger is a dumb trickle charger. If the batteries are same capacity, then you are good. Often nimh is higher capacity (than nicd) so that's even safer as the current/capacity ratio is more favorable to trickle charge.

From what I gleaned with a brief search replacement batteries are 1600mah a little more capacity which shouldn't but help things if it is a dumb timer based charger I would think.

adnj

Enlightened
I just briefly searched for your radio battery and Yaesu says the radio comes with a 1400mah NIMH battery to begin with so replacing it with another nimh battery should be fine. As it is 7.2v a lithium ion pack (if possible) would require a special balance charger and circuitry and maybe a second connector you won't be able to use the charging base. Basically speaking unless you are already tech savvy it is likely you won't want to do this upgrade on your own.
That radio was compatible with both NiCd and NiMH from the manufacturer . The only way to be certain is for the OP the battery model number.

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk