2014 Honda Odyssey - Can I put H9 bulbs in?

weedkill3

Newly Enlightened
Hello, my Honda can comes stock with H11s for lows and fog.

Can I put H9s in? Any modifications ?

The housing is projector style. If so...what are best H9s on the market?

Thank you.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello, my Honda can comes stock with H11s for lows and fog.

Can I put H9s in? Any modifications ?

The housing is projector style. If so...what are best H9s on the market?

I generally hesitate to recommend the H9 as an upgrade for low beams in most vehicles, but I can strongly recommend against putting H9 bulbs in the fog lamps, as this will increase glare (both direct and specular) for other drivers and not really allow the fog lamps to work that much better. In both cases, you'll also be increasing the nominal wattage by about 18%, leading to heat concerns.

As far as the low beams, even with projectors there is the chance of increasing glare for the other drivers.

There is a slight modification to the base of the H9 to remove a tab that prevents its use with the H11 connector. You'll be able to see plainly what that modification is (it's much easier to do for the H9 than to adapt an HIRx (1, 2) to fit an HBx (3, 4).

Obviously, if the upgrade is acceptable in either or both lamps, make sure their lenses are in excellent condition (at 7-8 years old that is a concern); make sure the lamps are aimed correctly, and be sure to use fog lamps only in the conditions that genuinely require them (and at those very low speeds required in those conditions).

For the brands, pretty much all the normal H9 bulbs from (in alphabetical order, but no real preference) GE, Narva, Osram, Philips, Osram, or Vosla. Avoid any bulb that promises "whiter light" or nonsense like "65W=100W".

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Yep, with careful attention to aim, it's safe to run H9s in those headlamps -- if they are in excellent condition. Any visible lens haze means you'll need to pay attention to the headlamps before upgrading bulbs.