power bank - explain "Type C" input/output & "QC3.0" output?

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
Got a powerbank made by "coal."
It has a large USB jack and a small ( USB ??? ) jack.
Which jack corresponds to which output range?
It says:
Type C input 5V/2A [which must be the small jack since the other end of the cable has the large plug you put into the USB Charger on the wall]

Output 1: QC 3.0 0.5V/3A(max) 9V/2A(max) 12V/1.5A(max)
Output 2: Type C output: 5V/3A
Total dual outputs: 5V/3A

I want to power a portable radio whose input is "DC 3-12V" but no Amps stated. After 30 seconds, it shuts off. I'm guessing the powerbank is shutting itself down due to too many amps being drawn ???

I plug a large USB plug into the powerbank, the other end of the cable is a standard round plug, and I have a dongle to convert the size to the smaller round jack on the radio.

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
Re: power bank - explain "Type C" input/output & "QC3.0" output?

Maybe what I need is a cable with a standard (5mm ?) round power plug on one end, and a plug of whatever type this smaller jack is ?

john61ct

Newly Enlightened

Just google those standards to get the specs.

The device being charged needs to send the matching signals or else old USB specs are default

lumen aeternum

Enlightened

This is an emergency solar / crank spring radio from 1999. Sends no signals.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

First off QC3.0 is Qualcomm charging and to use it that requires a device that can tell it that it supports that type of charging which your radio likely does not so you will have to rely on 5vdc from probably either output.
Secondly it is likely your radio may not take enough power that the power bank won't shut off as most power banks require a minimum current draw or they will shut off, there are few that can operate on very low current draw and some that have a low current mode that you can toggle to charge things like bluetooth headphones. One thing you could try is getting a Y adapter for the port you are using and one of the twin outputs from it for your radio the other for something like a fan or a USB light to draw enough power to keep it operating.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

There are inexpensive USB current meters available. They can be useful in situations like this where there isn't enough current draw to keep the power bank on. These are also helpful for finding devices that draw too much current from a USB port.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic

There are inexpensive USB current meters available. They can be useful in situations like this where there isn't enough current draw to keep the power bank on. These are also helpful for finding devices that draw too much current from a USB port.
The cheapest USB meters don't go low enough for some things. I have a meter I paid $10 for that has I think an OLED display that goes down to 1ma and I have these dimmable USB LED modules that operate in that range and every retail power bank I've gotten won't keep them on when they are dimmed all the way down. It is only DIY Chinese power banks that work for that purpose and they kept changing the driver boards on them such that it may be none of them will operate at lower currents. That is why I suggested adding in an additional load on the same port enough to keep the power bank from shutting down. An option is to just buy an adjustable boost circuit board that has the range of inputs and outputs needed. You should be able to get one for around $5. I bought a USB QC3 board for about $4 that operates off 12-24vdc. They sell just about every range of boost/buck boards that someone with a soldering iron and a little electronics know-how could incorporate them into an adapter.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

Yeah, any radio that's designed to operate from solar or crank power is probably designed to sip current. Still I'd be surprised if it only needed a few milliamps. Your suggestion sounds better though.

lumen aeternum

Enlightened

Seems like a battery box with simple circuitry saying "send X volts" ought to be cheap & easy to find...

Maybe should go back to looking for a boom box with CD. Not sure if it would run the CD motor at the right speed with 1.2V C or D rechargables though.