Head Lamp for West Point

Proud West Point Dad

Newly Enlightened
My son just accepted an appointment to West Point. One of the items they recommend to bring is a head lamp for their basic training. I was hoping or suggestions based on the below criteria.

1). Must have capability for red and preferably green light.
2). Long battery life ( may be able to recharge or not)
3) water proof
4) durable
5) doesn't need high lumens 300ish should be fine

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Streamlight Compact II - runs on a single AA or a CR123A battery and will even run on an AAA if need be and it comes with a head band, a clip for attaching to a MOLE vest and a mount for a helmet. The standard model has red and blue LEDs (in addition to white and infrared). There is a aviation version with a green LED instead of red, but I would not get that one, since he will likely be needing red more than green.

AstroTurf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree!!!

The Streamlight Compact II - runs on a single AA or a CR123A battery and will even run on an AAA if need be and it comes with a head band, a clip for attaching to a MOLE vest and a mount for a helmet. The standard model has red and blue LEDs (in addition to white and infrared). There is a aviation version with a green LED instead of red, but I would not get that one, since he will likely be needing red more than green.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
+2.. Sidewinder Compact II Mil model with headband, helmet mount, and/or Molle attachable

Congratulation to your son's appointment to West Point! 🇺🇲

nightowl4150

Newly Enlightened
I really like Black Diamond's line of headlamps. I've found the units to be very rugged and love the fact that they use readily available batteries. I use them extensively while camping and hiking and have found that the lamps have withstood abuses like being stepped on, crushed under gear in a backpack, and banged against rocks. The lamps are widely available online and in many sporting goods stores.

Udenencan

Newly Enlightened
I would recommend Fenix HM65R. My grandad is satisfied with its battery life. 1400 lumens, although it's pricey as hell.