Zippo pocket light

Endalaus

Newly Enlightened
Hello all. A few years ago I decided to stop buying flashlights unless I actually needed one (weird, I know). Because of that I stopped keeping up to date with the tech, and I now 'need' a replacement for a light I just destroyed by stupidity but I am failing completely to find what I'm looking for. All suggestions greatly appreciated...

I just wrecked my copper nitecore tini by running it through the washing machine. I got that light because it fits in the zippo pocket of my jeans. It did the job but the UI was rubbish and obviously it wasn't able to withstand a 1200rpm spin cycle. Who knew? Obviously I could buy a tini 2 but I wanted to know what the current 'best of the best' is rather than buying another meh light. I'm pretty flexible with the form factor, materials and other specs but have listed my requirements below. Thanks all!

size - either fits in the zippo pocket or is a cylindrical type with a max length of 70mm and diameter of 18mm

build quality must be good or excellent

material - copper, brass, ns, titanium, ss- anything but plastic really

must be capable of at least 300lm for 1 minute+ with a low of <10 lm

not a mule - I like at least some throw

and the tricky one - must be built like a tank. The best light I ever had is still an arc aaa because it always worked and was a true thing of beauty. If I hadn't lost it I'd still be using it, even at 10lm

I'm not fussy about colour temperature as long as it's whiteish but if I can see the pwm with the naked eye that's a fail

ironhorse

Enlightened
Frelux Synergy is almost like it was made for the jeans watch pocket. Down side is it's not always available.

Endalaus

Newly Enlightened
ironhorse;[URL="tel:5451911" said:
5451911[/URL]]Frelux Synergy is almost like it was made for the jeans watch pocket. Down side is it's not always available.
Thanks, I'll check that out

scrapjack

Newly Enlightened
I realize you probably have your answer by now, but if you're still looking, there is a LED light called the "Flip Light" that is an insert for the metal Zippo housings(replaces the lighter insert). It should fit your "Zippo pocket" perfectly. I've had one for a few years now without replacing the battery, and wouldn't say it is the best of the best, but it is affordable, runs on a replaceable battery, and there are many shells to choose from. It has a basic cheap led that isn't amazingly bright, but depending on what you are using it for, it may be enough, and runs forever it seems.

Check out the Surefire Sidekick. Fits in the "zippo" pocket; rechargeable; multiple output levels; and about 300 max lumens. Typically sells for about US$27-$30.

Also check out the Fenix E03R. Similar form factor as the Sidekick; similar output levels, and about 260 max lumens. Typically sells for about US$24-27.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore TIP 2. Has a magnetic seal making it waterproof. 200 lumens for over an hour without dimming. Has a simpler U.I. than the TIP and TINI 2. Has a clip and magnets for hands free use options. Lowest setting is 1 lumen, highest is 720. Made from a chunk of aluminum (more mass, better heatsinking than TIP SE). Fits great in a Zippo pocket.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dunno if they're any good, about to buy myself one. Expecting a "fauxton" light, more or less.

Sidekick is good, but the plastic keychain loop is weak; mine broke after a few months of keychain carry and the Surefire warranty on these things is really kinda trash compared to the old stuff -- just one year. :(