Olight baldr pro cr123 problems

davehetfield

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, I have a olight baldr pro and when replacing the factory cr123 with Duracell,Energizer,surefire and streamlight brand batteries they don't fit. It seems the factory batteries are shorter.the other brands have a small plastic ring in the base.
Any suggestion. Thank you!

jeff51

Newly Enlightened
I just checked mine. It has streamlight 123s in it. They are, as far as I know, a standard size 123.
All the Best,
Jeff

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all, I have a olight baldr pro and when replacing the factory cr123 with Duracell,Energizer,surefire and streamlight brand batteries they don't fit. It seems the factory batteries are shorter.the other brands have a small plastic ring in the base.
Any suggestion. Thank you!

You say the other brands have a small plastic ring in the base, exactly what do you mean? An insulator for shipping purposes? Because that's the only reason I can figure for such an item. If this is what you are talking about then it's likely something that shouldn't be there when installing them into the light. Maybe you could post a picture of what you have?

Last edited:

jeff51

Newly Enlightened
You say the other brands have a small plastic ring in the base, exactly what do you mean? An insulator for shipping purposes? Because that's the only reason I can figure for such an item. If this is what you are talking about then it's likely something that shouldn't be there when installing them into the light. Maybe you could post a picture of what you have?

Just checked two other brands of 123s. None have anything on the base except the overlap of the wrapper. No rings. And all fit fine in my Baldr.
All the Best,'
Jeff

CR888

Newly Enlightened
One Olight torch I bought (MiT-Raider) came with non-rechargeable CR123's. I replaced them with Olights rechargeable li-ion cells CR123A part no:ORB-163PO6 (650mah). Just a possible option, they have been great cells.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
the plastic ring (green?) is probably the PTC, an important safety feature often missing on Chinese cells.

jeff51

Newly Enlightened
the plastic ring (green?) is probably the PTC, an important safety feature often missing on Chinese cells.
Been using 123s since the 70s?. In cameras before lights. Never saw one with anything on the bottom of the battery.
Many different brands.
The same cells that fit in my Surefire and Streamlight weapon lights all fit in the Baldr.
Would be nice if the OP came back with some more info.
All the Best,
Jeff

CSG

Newly Enlightened
I just went to replace the Olight 123A batteries in my Baldr Pro with Streamlight 123A batteries and they are fractionally longer. I got them in and the cover closed but the release latch is loose. I've used Streamlights with other flashlights but there is no question the Olight versions are shorter. They fit easily, the Streamights barely fit at all.

CSG

Newly Enlightened
Just came across a simple fix found on a YT video. Because the Olight CR123a batteries are not a standard length, they have a rubber spacer at the bottom of the negative battery side. Using a thin screwdriver, you can remove it in a moment and any standard CR123A battery will now fit properly and the battery latch will securely close. There was no reason for that spacer other to fit substandard size Olight batteries.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just came across a simple fix found on a YT video. Because the Olight CR123a batteries are not a standard length, they have a rubber spacer at the bottom of the negative battery side. Using a thin screwdriver, you can remove it in a moment and any standard CR123A battery will now fit properly and the battery latch will securely close. There was no reason for that spacer other to fit substandard size Olight batteries.

Strange stuff. Any chance the aforementioned "rubber spacer" was intended to be a buffer / bumper for shock isolation?

CSG

Newly Enlightened
Strange stuff. Any chance the aforementioned "rubber spacer" was intended to be a buffer / bumper for shock isolation?
I have no idea but it seems more likely it's because the Olight batteries were shorter than every other CR123A battey on the market and this was an easy fix (adding the spacer). Honestly, if I had known what I learned when I went to replace the batteries, I would have NEVER bought this Olight product. I fell for the hype and it was a mistake.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a Balder RL and tried a few in my light—Olights work fine, SureFires work fine and some Japanese Sanyos with a green ring on the negative ends, work fine.

Chris

CSG

Newly Enlightened
I'm gue
I've got a Balder RL and tried a few in my light—Olights work fine, SureFires work fine and some Japanese Sanyos with a green ring on the negative ends, work fine.

Chris
I'm guessing the RL model doesn't have the little spacer ring on the inside of the battery box on the neg side.

CSG

Newly Enlightened
Now, after not using the light this past year, I find it has a defect in that it drains batteries literally overnight. Olight no longer answers their phones and seems to not answer their emails so no one is available to address their warranty. I should have known better when I bought this that these guys were all internet marketing and promotions. We'll see if they ever contact me to make it right.

And no, it wasn't the little spacer being removed as I tried leaving the light off the gun and running a second pair of batteries with the spacer in (Streamlight). Dead overnight.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now, after not using the light this past year, I find it has a defect in that it drains batteries literally overnight. Olight no longer answers their phones and seems to not answer their emails so no one is available to address their warranty. I should have known better when I bought this that these guys were all internet marketing and promotions. We'll see if they ever contact me to make it right.

And no, it wasn't the little spacer being removed as I tried leaving the light off the gun and running a second pair of batteries with the spacer in (Streamlight). Dead overnight.

When you get ready to replace the light, I'd recommend you look at offerings from the same company whose 123 cells you're using. I don't own one, but that's what I'd be looking at, and chances are you'd get a better design from them than what you have - and almost certainly good support to go with it.:)

CSG

Newly Enlightened
I don't see what you're talking about, although there is the obligatory O-ring on the door?

Chris
Look inside the battery case on the negative side. There is a little round silicone spacer surrounding the spring. As this model still uses their proprietary (and unavailable) batteries which are shorter than the standard CR123A batteries, that spacer has to be removed to uses standard batteries. That said, it's not the cause of the issue I'm having; it's a failed circuit. Olight has offered to replace my Baldr Pro with one of their less expensive models that's rechargeable which I will accept. However, I will never buy another one of their products again and will encourage others to buy Streamlight or Surefire products instead. Olight no longer has CS accessible by phone and all the emails I've received from them indicate their CS is now out of China as well as their products.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look inside the battery case on the negative side. There is a little round silicone spacer surrounding the spring. As this model still uses their proprietary (and unavailable) batteries which are shorter than the standard CR123A batteries, that spacer has to be removed to uses standard batteries. That said, it's not the cause of the issue I'm having; it's a failed circuit. Olight has offered to replace my Baldr Pro with one of their less expensive models that's rechargeable which I will accept. However, I will never buy another one of their products again and will encourage others to buy Streamlight or Surefire products instead. Olight no longer has CS accessible by phone and all the emails I've received from them indicate their CS is now out of China as well as their products.
Mine has the 'washer' in place and works, as I've previously mentioned.

I'm an Olight fan, having an i3S, their little UV jobbie, an iT5 CU and the Baldr RL and while all work well, but I never buy lights with proprietary batteries.

Good luck!

Chris

CSG

Newly Enlightened
If you're using Streamlight or any other brand of CR123A batteries, which are ALL longer than Olight's proprietary batteries, in the BALDR PRO then the battery compartment won't close fully with the locking lever locking in place. Your model either has a longer battery case or something else is going on.