Ceiling WAC brand LEDs discontinued..... can we use a different driver?

matt33

Newly Enlightened
Hi all

Several of our LED's have stopped working and it turns out that the drivers are failing. Disappointing as they have only had 5yrs of infrequent use and they were rated for 20yrs!

Unfortunately the unit in question has been discontinued and I am not sure if we can use a different brand driver or which one to get. Two questions:

1. Can we use a generic driver or do we need the exact item from WAC?
2. If we can use a generic, can anyone recommend one that would work?

The specs are:

Electronic driver for WAC HR-LED-418-NIC
120VAC/60Hz input
10.2W output
450mA current
Power factor >0.9
Dimming with thermal protection

Thanks
Matt

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't completely answer your question but have a few of my own to help find a proper substitute. Do you have an image of the driver?

Obviously it would have to meet physical size/weight and mounting limitations, and should have proper certification such as ULC.

Output voltage dc range of driver is not specified. You need to learn or find out (by measuring) what the LED operating voltage is; do so with care. Replacement would need to cover this. Working backwards from 0.45A and 10.5W gives 23v. Replacement could go higher, but not necessarily lower.

I've been tinkering with ac-powered drivers mainly in low-cost surplus ceiling fixtures. One is an outdoor LED light using driver with no specs in instruction sheet, or marked. I measured LED current and voltage, including no-load driver output voltage. This light could operate with another driver which had similar specs, and happened to have battery backup capability for standby operation.

Not sure about the dimming part, if you use it. I believe there are standard interfaces for this but someone else needs to comment.

Dave

matt33

Newly Enlightened
Hi Dave

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond - lots of useful information.

I have attached an image of the driver in question. Unless I am missing something (which is very possible!) I dont think it shows the output voltage range you reference?

https://postimg.cc/phB7Ntdd

Thanks again
Matt

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
is it potted?
if not then see if you can get it open.
might just be bad caps.
very common on cheap drivers.

LEDphile

Enlightened
Looks like the driver part number is LD-450MA21-DIM-NIS, and it appears to be available on the secondary market. There may also be alternative options - as long as the output voltage range is correct and the output current is no greater than 450mA, an alternative driver should be functional.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Matt, one eBay item gives specs 17.5W output with 15-30vdc range. Not sure how this works, 30v at 450mA is only 13.5W, it may actually go up to 38v. I would verify LED voltage operating, using a good unit if available.

They want US$30 typically, sounds a bit steep overall for such fixture, and for something with a poor history of reliability. Should be able to do better, not likely dirt cheap though; I'd guess perhaps US$20 or so.

Of the drivers I've seen, none lists output voltage range. Some don't even list output current, I had to measure it. Probably designed for products which are not considered servicable. I did manage to find some online specs for a Fulham driver, such that its output current is settable by external resistor; not that you need this option, fixed is simpler.

You might get away with replacement rated a bit lower say 15W output, which allows some derating above 10.5W.

Dave

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
is it potted?
if not then see if you can get it open.
might just be bad caps.
very common on cheap drivers.

Reworking ac-powered devices like this may not be a great idea if only for liability reasons. Also, not just any capacitors should be used, they need to have sufficient temp. rating and other specs: ESR, ripple current rating etc.; if indeed that's what the problem is. Troubleshooting time needs to be considered. OP would need to decide if comfortable doing this.

Dave