Possible to disable delta-V termination om SkyRC MC3000?

mt82

Newly Enlightened
Hi

Anyone knows if it is possible to disable delta-V termination on SkyRC MC3000? One can adjust the termination voltage but there's no "disable" (the app suggests it is possible because one can set to "turn off" but it actualy just means "0dv" which is of course not the same!).

sbj

Newly Enlightened
I don't think it can be turned off. But with a clever setting it is unlikely that the shutoff will occur.
For example: charging current less than 0.2C; Delta Peak: 20mV;

fmc1

Enlightened
Don't lower it, raise it.

As pointed out above setting the delta to 20mV is essentially disabling it because that much of a voltage drop will never happen with a LSD NiMh battery, especially with a low charge current.

Very importantly doing this involves some safety concerns because you need to set a good valid termination value on something else like target volt, capacity, time, temperature or most safe all of the above.

If you tell us how you want the charge to terminate and the battery specs. I can suggest program settings.

Frank

mt82

Newly Enlightened
Don't lower it, raise it.

As pointed out above setting the delta to 20mV is essentially disabling it because that much of a voltage drop will never happen with a LSD NiMh battery, especially with a low charge current.

Very importantly doing this involves some safety concerns because you need to set a good valid termination value on something else like target volt, capacity, time, temperature or most safe all of the above.

If you tell us how you want the charge to terminate and the battery specs. I can suggest program settings.

Frank

Great thanks! I've bought some IKEA LADDA and I want to try charging them as indicated on the battery, where it says 245 mA (so 0.25 A on the MC3000) for 16 hrs. I also thought about increasing the delta-V but wasn't sure if 20 mv would be high enough to be sure the charger would intentionally "miss" the peak?

fmc1

Enlightened
It's not a peak it's a dip and for sure you won't see a 20mA voltage drop at that current.

Charge current at .25A for 16 hours will give you 4000mAh, so if you set the capacity for that or anything lower the charge will terminate on capacity.

You just said Lada batteries and were not specific as to which ones. Since the low capacity brown ones have not been available for a few years now I'll assume you have the white ones.

The white AA's are rated at 2450mAh and the AAA's at 900mAh. I just don't see any point in overcharging them that much especially AAA's, I don't see anything good coming out of this.

Sure there was a time when battery chargers were called dumb chargers and terminated on only time. You may still be able to buy them but you have exactly the opposite of that, a very smart charger. Why dumb it down?

These are the two programs I recommend and used myself hundreds of times. They will charge fully depleted batteries fully and safely in a little over 2 hours.

White Lada AA
Chem = Eneloop
Model = AA Pro
C. Current = 1.25A
Targ. V = 1.65V
Delta = 3mV
Trickle = off
Temp = 45C
Time = 240

White Lada AAA
Chem = Eneloop
Model = AAA pro
C. Current = .45A
Targ. V = 1.65V
Delta = 3mV
Trickle = off
Temp =45C
Time = 240

Frank

Last edited:

NiOOH

Enlightened
Great thanks! I've bought some IKEA LADDA and I want to try charging them as indicated on the battery, where it says 245 mA (so 0.25 A on the MC3000) for 16 hrs. I also thought about increasing the delta-V but wasn't sure if 20 mv would be high enough to be sure the charger would intentionally "miss" the peak?

Why would you do that? Charging with 0.1C for 14-16 hours used to be done as break-in charge for older NiCd and NiMH cells . LSD cells don't need this.
Nowadays, this charging method is used by the cheapest dumb chargers. If the cells are not fully discharged, this method overcharges them.
Just use c/2 (about 1.2-1.25 A for LADDA) with a small value of -dV and no topoff charge. I use 0 dV and it works well with all my Eneloops.