Recommendation for a Fenix Charger

scsiguru

Newly Enlightened
I'm wanting to pick up a Fenix charger for 18650 batteries. I have a couple of Fenix lights and headlamps that I'm currently using CR123's in. The batteries just don't last long. Which Fenix charger should I look to get for 18650 batteries?

NiOOH

Enlightened
Why would you want it to be a Fenix? They make some good lights, but are not well known for the quality of their chargers.

scsiguru

Newly Enlightened
Why would you want it to be a Fenix? They make some good lights, but are not well known for the quality of their chargers.

Good information..didn't know that..thanks!

Can you (or anyone else) provide a recommendation for a top notch charger and batteries? There are so many optics that I just want to make a good decision.

NiOOH

Enlightened
Top notch charger: SKYRC MC3000.
For batteries, if you want protected 18650s, any of the rebranded Panasonic 3500 mAh (Keeppower, Orbtronic...). For unprotected ones, Sony VTC6, just make sure your lights have a protection circuit inside.

Enlightened
Nitecore D2 is very simple and easy. Can't control current to fast charge which could be a downside. I like my xtar vp2 because I can choose charge current as well.

Tasky

Newly Enlightened
I'm not a massive Nitecore fanboy, but I and many others use the D4 Digicharger.
It charges well and pretty safely, gets good reviews and, above all, is pretty simple-straightforward-idiotproof... so perfect for us technophobes!

It doesn't take 21700s though, so perhaps look at their recent models if you think you might get into those.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own several Nitecore and Fenix chargers. The Fenix ARE-D2 is actually quite good if you don't mind a 2 bay charger.

Olumin

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Xtar VC2 has done a good job for years. It doasnt have many features and isnt the fastest, but its reliable, simple and safe. And cheap. Dont get something like the MC3000. Its great in the right hands, but its very complicated to use. If you arent already experienced with chargers and battery charging in general I do not recommend it. I recommend getting something simple.

For something bigger with faster charging, discharge functionality and multi chemistry capability: Ive been using the vapcell s4 plus for a few months now and am happy with it. You can manually select charging current and it charges with up to 3A on 4 slots. It also fits pretty much any battery size, including protected 21700s.

Last edited: