HDS Systems        

Thread: Which Peak Keychain

Enlightened

Default Which Peak Keychain

Which Peak LED is most ideal or useful for being a keychain light... (Maybe the Surefire Titan + is a better buy...just a simple rechargeable NiMH and 300,75,15 Lumens. done)
    This light will only compliment a larger light that I'll generally have on me at all times.

I'm looking at Peak LED models and am tryin to determine which light model will have the most intensity and runtime. I'm not interested in their "throw" keychain lights.
    And really I might not need the "most intensity" out of a keychain light.

I'm still tryin to figure out batteries and how they impact intensity and run-time. I get conflicting answers or "it depends" answers.

Below are 4 models:

Eiger - a AAA model that takes 3.7v Li-Ion 10440 , Alkaline/Lithium, Rechargeable NiMH

El Capitan - a AA model that takes 14500 Li-Ion, Alkaline/lithium AA, Rechargeable NiMH.... (Xtar has a 14500 800mAh 3.7v)

Logan- a CR123 and RCR123 light

Logan 17500- Allows 4.2 Volts. Takes 17500 batteries or any battery from above (Not sure I need this powerful of a light in this platform...)

Thank you
    Last edited by kerneldrop; 05-01-2021 at 07:52 PM.

Default Re: Which Peak, well maybe

Iíd say all but the 17500 Logan. Sheís way to big to put on a keychain. The rest are pretty small so just depends on what cells you want to run.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Enlightened

Thank you

After reading a little more about Peak, it seems some aren't fans of their new styles.
    And the ones that are fans of Peak have the older Peak styles.

I'm just wanting a good basic keychain light. Seems to be a ton of options

Oh there fantastic lights. Very solid and will last you a lifetime. Older peak lights were no where near as bight as there newer ones. I think some collect older peaks as they did have some very cool models.But do not think they were better then newer versions.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

I'm very much liking the Eiger Ultra in stainless. The larger head eases one-hand operation. Medium beam, run on eneloop aaa.
    Also goes quite nicely with Prometheus's clip.
    Last edited by Russ/TN; 05-01-2021 at 08:55 PM.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post

Cool, thank you. I might go with the Logan and battery station CR123a or a RCR123a. It's easy and It'll still give me up to the 3.7volts, I believe.
    Last edited by kerneldrop; 05-01-2021 at 09:06 PM.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by Russ/TN View Post
    I'm very much liking the Eiger Ultra in stainless. The larger head eases one-hand operation. Medium beam, run on eneloop aaa.
    Also goes quite nicely with Prometheus's clip.
    I do like the mini flashlight look of of the Eiger Ultra. Hmm...Let me look into that model.

So with the Ultra you basically get the same output as a 3.7v Li-Ion, without having to use an unprotected 10440?
    Last edited by kerneldrop; 05-01-2021 at 09:06 PM.

My favorite keychain light is a Peak Eiger 10280 SS. I have 10180 and AAA bodies also. AAA with the Prometheus clip and momentary switch makes a great pocket light.
    Some donít care for the QTC, but once you understand it well, itís excellent. Fully potted, built like tanks, and theyíll run on about any battery you can fit in the tube; nimh to lithium ion.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by kerneldrop View Post
    I do like the mini flashlight look of of the Eiger Ultra. Hmm...Let me look into that model.

So with the Ultra you basically get the same output as a 3.7v Li-Ion, without having to use an unprotected 10440?

The Eiger Ultra is your basic Eiger, with a larger head.

I don"t believe it works with lithium rechargeables.

The Eiger Ultra-X is the lithium rechargeable model. (lithium rechargeable only)

I believe.
    Russ

All of the peak pocket lights work with lithium rechargeables. The x models require them.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    -- Albert Einstein

Enlightened

I'll decide on one of the models.
    The Logan might be too heavy to put on a keychain.
    I originally liked the Logan because it's easy to reach 3.7volts.

Seems like I can't go wrong really.

Default Re: Which Peak Keychain

I like the Eiger 10180 and Logan 17500 for this, which pretty nicely spans the reasonable range in size for a keyring flashlight
    ... is the archimedes peak

Here are a few photos, for size comparisons ...

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    I like the Eiger 10180 and Logan 17500 for this, which pretty nicely spans the reasonable range in size for a keyring flashlight
    Thank you for the photos and recommendation. I came across a few of your Peak posts when searching the forum.

I need to read more about batteries to better understand their differing characteristics. I'm super new to this illumination niche.
    I was drawn to the Logan due to the ease of the CR123A or RCR123A.
    But I really like optimal efficiency and effectiveness as well...so a smaller diameter battery with similar output is pretty cool.

I came across Robyn's contact info. Assuming that she's still running it, I'll call her tomorrow and discuss a few battery options

Having been using Peak's lights for years the Eigers won't let you down, they're simple and they'll take all the abuse you throw at them, especially in stainless. The El Capitan is also great, but i prefer that as a separate belt light rather than a keychain light simply due to how bulky it is along with my keys.

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by LRJ88 View Post
    the Eigers won't let you down
    That's the size --at least in their current offerings-- that makes the most sense to me....I think, ha

It should be plenty for how I think it'll be used...which I'm not sure yet. lol

I definitely don't need a pocket or belt light though. I have all those covered. I work in an environment where looser cowboy jeans are the dress, so I can easily carry larger lights without discomfort

Thank you for the photos and recommendation. I came across a few of your Peak posts when searching the forum....
    Sure, cheers.

As others have said, these little flashlights are as tough as nails, especially in steel.

Here is a pic of the Eiger heads (Mule, regular and Ultra) next to the 17500 all in stainless.

Here is Peak potting versus a inexpensive light potted head. Big difference.

Here is a copper Eiger, Mule Eiger, 10280 and 10180.

As mentioned they will take most batteries although the IMRs are not recommended (don't know why).
    Great lights.

Quote Originally Posted by Vemice View Post
    Here is a pic of the Eiger heads (Mule, regular and Ultra) next to the 17500 all in stainless....
    Perhaps it is an effect of the lighting in that picture, but the mule looks like maybe a different material.

Is the weight of the battery tube similar to the others ?

Wondering if that one could be a different alloy, or even aluminum ....

.... As mentioned they will take most batteries although the IMRs are not recommended (don't know why).
    Great lights.
    My understanding is that on the higher Li-Ion voltage they are direct driven. Since IMR generally have lower internal resistance, they will overdrive the emitter. I remember some posting about the optics melting, as they can get very hot in that situation.

Perhaps it is an effect of the lighting in that picture, but the mule looks like maybe a different material.

Is the weight of the battery tube similar to the others ?

Wondering if that one could be a different alloy, or even aluminum ....

My understanding is that on the higher Li-Ion voltage they are direct driven. Since IMR generally have lower internal resistance, they will overdrive the emitter. I remember some posting about the optics melting, as they can get very hot in that situation.
    Thank you for the explanation and you are correct; the Mule is raw aluminum. Sorry for the error. I still use it often.

Enlightened

I ordered an Eiger Ultra, Stainless, Narrow, Cool, Lug.

I have on order Eneloop AAA and Shoshine 10440.

Robyn said the Li-Ion will need to be button-top, and unprotected to fit. The Eneloop is 1.75" and the Shoshine is 1.73"

Efest has a flat-top 10440 that is 1.70". I wasn't sure if that would work so I went with the Shoshine. I'm not familiar enough to step outside of suggestions.

Thank you for the explanation and you are correct; the Mule is raw aluminum. Sorry for the error. I still use it often.
    No worries, and thanks for confirming

I ordered an Eiger Ultra, Stainless, Narrow, Cool, Lug.

I have on order Eneloop AAA and Shoshine 10440.

Robyn said the Li-Ion will need to be button-top, and unprotected to fit. The Eneloop is 1.75" and the Shoshine is 1.73"

Efest has a flat-top 10440 that is 1.70". I wasn't sure if that would work so I went with the Shoshine. I'm not familiar enough to step outside of suggestions.
    Good choices.
    I have a few of those Soshines and have had no problems.
    Also have a couple Efests flat tops but they are IMRs which you wouldn't not want anyway.
    Let us know how you like it.

Enlightened

I like the Logan 17500...
    Are you using a Li-Ion battery for the Logan 17500? Which one(s) work with it? Thanks

I use AW17500. Really the only ones I have found that fit it well. Kinda hard to find today though. Guess thatís not much help. Sorry

Are you using a Li-Ion battery for the Logan 17500? Which one(s) work with it? Thanks
    No, I mostly use either AA eneloop or CR123A (with the spacer) instead for that one

Enlightened

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    I use AW17500. Really the only ones I have found that fit it well. Kinda hard to find today though. Guess thatís not much help. Sorry
    Ha, those are the kinds of recommendations I like. I'm learning more about batteries. I'll see if Robyn knows of any 17500 that for sure fit. Per the net the AW17500 is 51-51.5mm, ~ 2 - 2.02". That gives me a start.

No, I mostly use either AA eneloop or CR123A (with the spacer) instead for that one
    Cool, thank you.
    Last edited by kerneldrop; 05-04-2021 at 09:27 PM.