Which Peak Keychain

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which Peak LED is most ideal or useful for being a keychain light... (Maybe the Surefire Titan + is a better buy...just a simple rechargeable NiMH and 300,75,15 Lumens. done)
This light will only compliment a larger light that I'll generally have on me at all times.

I'm looking at Peak LED models and am tryin to determine which light model will have the most intensity and runtime. I'm not interested in their "throw" keychain lights.
And really I might not need the "most intensity" out of a keychain light.

I'm still tryin to figure out batteries and how they impact intensity and run-time. I get conflicting answers or "it depends" answers.

Below are 4 models:

Eiger - a AAA model that takes 3.7v Li-Ion 10440 , Alkaline/Lithium, Rechargeable NiMH

El Capitan - a AA model that takes 14500 Li-Ion, Alkaline/lithium AA, Rechargeable NiMH.... (Xtar has a 14500 800mAh 3.7v)

Logan- a CR123 and RCR123 light

Logan 17500- Allows 4.2 Volts. Takes 17500 batteries or any battery from above (Not sure I need this powerful of a light in this platform...)

Thank you

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Re: Which Peak, well maybe

I'd say all but the 17500 Logan. She's way to big to put on a keychain. The rest are pretty small so just depends on what cells you want to run.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thank you

After reading a little more about Peak, it seems some aren't fans of their new styles.
And the ones that are fans of Peak have the older Peak styles.

I'm just wanting a good basic keychain light. Seems to be a ton of options

thermal guy

Flashaholic

Oh there fantastic lights. Very solid and will last you a lifetime. Older peak lights were no where near as bight as there newer ones. I think some collect older peaks as they did have some very cool models.But do not think they were better then newer versions.

Russ/TN

Newly Enlightened

I'm very much liking the Eiger Ultra in stainless. The larger head eases one-hand operation. Medium beam, run on eneloop aaa.
Also goes quite nicely with Prometheus's clip.

Last edited:

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm very much liking the Eiger Ultra in stainless. The larger head eases one-hand operation. Medium beam, run on eneloop aaa.
Also goes quite nicely with Prometheus's clip.

I do like the mini flashlight look of of the Eiger Ultra. Hmm...Let me look into that model.

So with the Ultra you basically get the same output as a 3.7v Li-Ion, without having to use an unprotected 10440?

Last edited:

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast

My favorite keychain light is a Peak Eiger 10280 SS. I have 10180 and AAA bodies also. AAA with the Prometheus clip and momentary switch makes a great pocket light.
Some don't care for the QTC, but once you understand it well, it's excellent. Fully potted, built like tanks, and they'll run on about any battery you can fit in the tube; nimh to lithium ion.

Russ/TN

Newly Enlightened

I do like the mini flashlight look of of the Eiger Ultra. Hmm...Let me look into that model.

So with the Ultra you basically get the same output as a 3.7v Li-Ion, without having to use an unprotected 10440?

The Eiger Ultra is your basic Eiger, with a larger head.

I don"t believe it works with lithium rechargeables.

The Eiger Ultra-X is the lithium rechargeable model. (lithium rechargeable only)

I believe.
Russ

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'll decide on one of the models.
The Logan might be too heavy to put on a keychain.
I originally liked the Logan because it's easy to reach 3.7volts.

Seems like I can't go wrong really.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I like the Eiger 10180 and Logan 17500 for this, which pretty nicely spans the reasonable range in size for a keyring flashlight

archimedes

Flashaholic
Here are a few photos, for size comparisons ...

Pvxin5t.jpg

0IzBT93.jpg

pD9uta9.jpg

V0FsA1w.jpg

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the Eiger 10180 and Logan 17500 for this, which pretty nicely spans the reasonable range in size for a keyring flashlight

Thank you for the photos and recommendation. I came across a few of your Peak posts when searching the forum.

I need to read more about batteries to better understand their differing characteristics. I'm super new to this illumination niche.
I was drawn to the Logan due to the ease of the CR123A or RCR123A.
But I really like optimal efficiency and effectiveness as well...so a smaller diameter battery with similar output is pretty cool.

I came across Robyn's contact info. Assuming that she's still running it, I'll call her tomorrow and discuss a few battery options

LRJ88

Enlightened
Having been using Peak's lights for years the Eigers won't let you down, they're simple and they'll take all the abuse you throw at them, especially in stainless. The El Capitan is also great, but i prefer that as a separate belt light rather than a keychain light simply due to how bulky it is along with my keys.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
the Eigers won't let you down

That's the size --at least in their current offerings-- that makes the most sense to me....I think, ha

It should be plenty for how I think it'll be used...which I'm not sure yet. lol

I definitely don't need a pocket or belt light though. I have all those covered. I work in an environment where looser cowboy jeans are the dress, so I can easily carry larger lights without discomfort

Vemice

Enlightened
Here is a pic of the Eiger heads (Mule, regular and Ultra) next to the 17500 all in stainless.
DAAIudkl.jpg

Here is Peak potting versus a inexpensive light potted head. Big difference.
D1YdXn5l.jpg

Here is a copper Eiger, Mule Eiger, 10280 and 10180.
PrbOEEbl.jpg

As mentioned they will take most batteries although the IMRs are not recommended (don't know why).
Great lights.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Here is a pic of the Eiger heads (Mule, regular and Ultra) next to the 17500 all in stainless....

Perhaps it is an effect of the lighting in that picture, but the mule looks like maybe a different material.

Is the weight of the battery tube similar to the others ?

Wondering if that one could be a different alloy, or even aluminum ....

.... As mentioned they will take most batteries although the IMRs are not recommended (don't know why).
Great lights.

My understanding is that on the higher Li-Ion voltage they are direct driven. Since IMR generally have lower internal resistance, they will overdrive the emitter. I remember some posting about the optics melting, as they can get very hot in that situation.

Vemice

Enlightened
Perhaps it is an effect of the lighting in that picture, but the mule looks like maybe a different material.

Is the weight of the battery tube similar to the others ?

Wondering if that one could be a different alloy, or even aluminum ....

My understanding is that on the higher Li-Ion voltage they are direct driven. Since IMR generally have lower internal resistance, they will overdrive the emitter. I remember some posting about the optics melting, as they can get very hot in that situation.

Thank you for the explanation and you are correct; the Mule is raw aluminum. Sorry for the error. I still use it often.