Help picking custom EDC flashlight.

flightmate

Newly Enlightened
New here, and been doing as much research as I can before buying a more expensive flashlight. I have narrowed the list down, but want to make sure I'm not missing anything. Hoping some of you with more experience can steer me in the right direction. Here's what I'm looking for:

* EDC flashlight- day to day normal uses, plus some hunting, camping etc. 200 lumens is more than enough. Would like it in a warmer tint. 4000k or so. Around the house, I really use the lowest settings on my current lights the most- especially moonlight mode.

* Size- I carry a Olight S2 Baton II right now. So about .9 wide by 4 inches and weighs 4oz. Would prefer it to be smaller than that, or at least not much bigger.

* Has to have a good clip, tailstand, and tail switch or twist operation is preferred. Battery type doesn't matter too much.

* Well built, good warranty, made to last a lifetime. If I'm potentially spending this much, I want something that is built to last. Simple, rugged, and easy to repair or even upgrade if needed.

* Budget is up to $500 or so.

So far it seems the most widely recommend are HDS Rotary, and the Mcgizmo Haiku.

I like most everything about the Rotary, but the clip. Does the universal clip work well? Seems really long and sticks far out in the pictures.

Haiku also seems just about perfect except I would really like a moonlight mode if possible. Does the newer HIVE version go lower than 1 lumen?

Thanks in advance for any help, and please let me know if there are any other options out there that fit what I am looking for.

Last edited:

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Help picking more expensive (to me) flashlight.

You certainly don't have to spend $500 unless you just want to. Just as an example, Peak Logan 17500 meets your requirements... is $70...and can ship to your door tomorrow.

My thought is this: Don't blow your budget on one light when two or three lights complementing each other might be more effective.

My needs change...but my current setup is a 16650 with a 20/100/450 lumens OTF via tailswitch, paired with a full-send-one-button-high-only 850 Lumens OTF via tailswitch.

Out of what I have --which is limited--if I just had to pick one to serve both roles, I'd go with a MD2 M61HOT High/Low that does 5 lumens in low and 740 in high. But it's 5.123"
I don't mind wearing a holster.

Edit
Another option is the MDC HA 1CR123... it gets down to 3 lumens, up to 250 and is $100.

Last edited:

flightmate

Newly Enlightened
Re: Help picking more expensive (to me) flashlight.

Thanks for the suggestions! I'll look into them. I definitely don't "need" to spend that much money on a light. Just knowing myself, I'll most likely end up there eventually anyway. Usually how it works for me when entering a new hobby. Just figured I may end up saving myself money in the long run if I skipped a few steps this time.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Modern McGizmo are a modular system, hard to go wrong there, with that budget.

Can easily get a custom light engine if and when you like. They basically thread right into the bezel.

archimedes

Flashaholic
This is what I was referring to ...

2FYzu3s.jpg

flightmate

Newly Enlightened
I do like the ability to modify down the road if needed. Are you using the HIVE converter? And if so I'm curious how it pairs up with one of the warmer emitters offered?

archimedes

Flashaholic
I do like the ability to modify down the road if needed. Are you using the HIVE converter? And if so I'm curious how it pairs up with one of the warmer emitters offered?

I have a variety of Aleph light engines, including the HiVe converter. The features of the driver don't really have major impact on the emitter choice, in most cases.

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now that is super nice.
I can certainly appreciate McGizmo's craftsmanship and ingenuity.
I'm envisioning a proper McGizmo pic to include a custom 1911 and a custom knife. Ha

Cool thing is there's something for everyone

I was looking through RMSK's site and saw where Bob puts a 1% moon mode into a TnC in an 18350 tailclicky for $159
I imagine he can put a clip on it. High is 740 lumens

Last edited: