Lanyard EDC carry

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Started EDC'ing my old Four-Seven's Mini ML 123 light. The lanyard is what makes it viable. So convenient. It's light enough to be held in the cigar manner and when no longer needed, spit it out, or when hand-holding, release it and the lanyard catches it.

I got so used to doing that, now want to release my other lights like the my backup to the above, which is Malkoff M61T MD2. Except these aren't held by a lanyard, too big and heavy and what's the point. Mini ML and the lanyard is the magic sauce. Without the lanyard, what's the point, might as well use better (bigger and heavier) lights.

When not in use, the lanyard wraps around the Mini ML 47's and goes into the pocket, it's light and invisible and very compact.

The light generates 3 lumens on low, 40 med and 189 on high but that's not the important thing.
3 lumens actually seems too bright when you want moonlight mode.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I think 3-5 lumens is dim enough but not for a focused light rather more of a flood or lantern. I find 3-5 lumens fine when you have light pollution around you need a little more than a lumen and when you have less than a lumen with light pollution often you can't even see the output because the light pollution shuts down your night vision. If I had a choice of 1 lumen or 5 lumens as a lowest mode I would probably take 5 lumens as it is better to be a little too bright than not bright enough.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am happy with the mode selection. I never use the 'high' mode. Rarely use the middle mode.

what is the realistic runtime on low for FourSevens' Mini ML 123 light?

could it really be 150 hours as advertised?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I'm not familiar with that light it could be 150 hours if you start it on a full battery on the lowest mode perhaps. What I usually do is measure the current draw at the mode I'm interested in and divide it into the total capacity it should give you an estimate of the runtime although often as the battery depletes the voltage drops and if the circuit isn't regulated it will drop in output and thus use less power extending runtime longer than estimated. I'm not one that is overly impressed with uber long runtime at very dim output as only in an extreme emergency would that be useful which is extremely unlikely to happen I tend to focus on higher output modes that encompass a day of runtime in normal use. I seriously doubt I would run a light for 3 days solid without recharging nevertheless run it for 6-7 days without turning it off in the daytime. 150 hours at 8 hours a day is getting close to 3 weeks.

Burgess

Flashaholic
If you ever read the book "Landslide", by French author Veronique Day, (1966)
you will want to be better prepared for "extremely unlikely" situations.
:eek:

Sadly, this book is long Out Of Print,
and not available in digital format.
:sigh:

I managed to obtain a used copy via Amazon,
and it is truly an unforgettable Flashaholic story !

Edited to add --

Don't be "put off" by the fact this is a Children's book.
It is definitely a MUST-READ for every Flashaholic !

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2078253.Landslide_

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not familiar with that light it could be 150 hours if you start it on a full battery on the lowest mode perhaps. What I usually do is measure the current draw at the mode I'm interested in and divide it into the total capacity it should give you an estimate of the runtime

That makes total sense. A much more viable assessment versus numbers from an ad (usually biased).

I thought about upgrading but it's just so neat and a niche light.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
That makes total sense. A much more viable assessment versus numbers from an ad (usually biased).

I thought about upgrading but it's just so neat and a niche light.
You don't need to upgrade as we all know that us flashaholics need "backup" lights just in case one fails on us. :)

Jean-Luc Descarte

Enlightened
I've had a very similar experience with my Lumintop EDC01, the only AAA minitorch without a pocket clip in my collection. The lanyard's utility is twofold: it adds bulk to a tiny light so it's easier to spot and feel in the pocket, and makes holding it very convenient for reasons already mentioned. Way more comfortable to use when you know you can't drop it into some unknown void that Bic pens and loose change always end up :laughing:

Last edited:

340pd

Newly Enlightened
Simple finger lanyard. Two or three fingers fit giving me exactly what I need for a walk without fear of dropping.
Malkoff-Hound-Dog-Flashlight.jpg

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
The mini ml is a great light. It was my edc for a few years, before I was a flashaholic. The only reason I don't really use it now is the lack of a pocket clip. Maybe I ought to give it more attention, because I still really like it.

Just so happens that I've always used a lanyard with it too. Initially it came with a necklace like lanyard with a gate clip. I would loop that lanyard to my belt and drop the light in my pocket. It was easy to get out that way and was always retained, and if I needed to detach it the gate clip was fast and easy. Now it just has a mostly decorative paracord lanyard that I made, but I also adds gripping surface.

Kitchen Panda

Enlightened
... The lanyard is what makes it viable. So convenient. It's light enough to be held in the cigar manner and when no longer needed, spit it out, or when hand-holding, release it and the lanyard catches it....

I can see this being so practical, and yet I have a great aversion to having anything looped around my neck...I imagine scenarios where I slip on a ladder and am found the next day. I tried making a paracord lanyard with a slip knot that would release under pressure, but never had the courage to wear it for any time and see if it was strong enough to hold my light but not so strong as to hold my neck!

My Olight S2R Baton II came with a short lanyard, but I found it to be quite bulky and in the way when sliding in and out of a pocket. Currently I'm using a small loop of Atwood 125 lb microcord tied in a lanyard knot; more by good luck than good management, it's exactly the right length so I can stow it wrapped around the bottom of the light, but quickly extend it when I need a little more grip on the light or when I want to clip something to it.

Bill

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I can see this being so practical, and yet I have a great aversion to having anything looped around my neck...I imagine scenarios where I slip on a ladder and am found the next day. I tried making a paracord lanyard with a slip knot that would release under pressure, but never had the courage to wear it for any time and see if it was strong enough to hold my light but not so strong as to hold my neck!

My Olight S2R Baton II came with a short lanyard, but I found it to be quite bulky and in the way when sliding in and out of a pocket. Currently I'm using a small loop of Atwood 125 lb microcord tied in a lanyard knot; more by good luck than good management, it's exactly the right length so I can stow it wrapped around the bottom of the light, but quickly extend it when I need a little more grip on the light or when I want to clip something to it.

Bill

They make breakaway neck lanyards that if caught on something they will come apart.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I have found using a light with a clip that allows bezel down can be fastened in my front pocket and with a wrist lanyard drooping off of it allows me to simply slide a couple of fingers through the loop for a quick deploy.

I've also dropped my light a few times and having a wrist lanyard ensured it did not fall into a sewer manhole or drop off a ladder, etc. Speaking of ladders if you need a flashlight when you get to the top, having it draped around your wrist leaves both hands free to climb with.

At the entrances to my house flashlights hang from a nail or key hook from wrist lanyards.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I have found using a light with a clip that allows bezel down can be fastened in my front pocket and with a wrist lanyard drooping off of it allows me to simply slide a couple of fingers through the loop for a quick deploy.

I've also dropped my light a few times and having a wrist lanyard ensured it did not fall into a sewer manhole or drop off a ladder, etc. Speaking of ladders if you need a flashlight when you get to the top, having it draped around your wrist leaves both hands free to climb with.

At the entrances to my house flashlights hang from a nail or key hook from wrist lanyards.
When I'm on a ladder I put my headlamp on instead of worrying about lanyards as I like having as many hands free as possible when I'm not on ground level.