ArmyTek        

Thread: auto headlights blinking - pwm?

Default auto headlights blinking - pwm?

While cycling, through my take-a-look mirror, saw a brighter than normal headlight coming up alongside and noticed the daytime headlights were blinking rapidly. Is that pwm?

Default Re: auto headlights blinking - pwm?

Quote Originally Posted by 5S8Zh5 View Post
    While cycling, through my take-a-look mirror, saw a brighter than normal headlight coming up alongside and noticed the daytime headlights were blinking rapidly. Is that pwm?
    It could be, or maybe it has some sort of light sensor electronics that is acting up.
    Fenix Split rings 1400+ sent, SWIVELS now available also!
    Psalm 112:4 Light shines in the darkness for the godly. They are generous, compassionate, and righteous.

Flashaholic*

Yes, I've seen lots of newer cars that have PWM on brake lights, turn signals, and (not as often) daytime running lights.

I do not consider this to be a good thing because I find it very distracting.

--flatline

Yes, you're seeing the PWM operation of the DRLs to reduce their apparent intensity to provide the front position ("parking") light function. The same thing is done with headlamps to provide a DRL function, and stop ("brake") lights to provide a rear position ("tail") light function. It's called the "bead effect" and I agree, it's distracting. What's even worse is non-legitimate aftermarket "LED bulbs" installed in place of appropriate halogen bulbs in cars that use PWM to provide the DRL function via the headlamps; those not only flicker, but they appear to dance as viewed in a moving mirror (car or bike rear-view or side-view, for example).