What Separates HDS from…

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
What qualities or characteristics separate HDS Rotary from the ~$130 group that's well liked?
is it more cosmetic—fit and finish — or is it more ruggedness and reliability?

thank you

dotCPF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends who you want to compare it to.

The answer definitely has to do with ruggedness and reliability to a significant degree whichever way you cut it, they are almost excessively durable and reliable.

As for the Rotary bit, well, it's a fantastic mechanism that has a ton of neat tricks for what one would think is a simple-operation lights!

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you, all. I believe I would like the HDS Rotary.
I wasn't sure if HDS' premium price was more for fit and finish, or more for reliability.
The challenge is identifying what characteristics/qualities each brand brings to the market, and what price points generally get you.
HDS is the upper-end of my price point.

I have Malkoff, Elzetta and Peak now, and am learning about other names such as Sky Lumen that is in your signatures...HDS, too.
I'm not much into aesthetics or picky over LED shade, just reliability.

What I have now certainly meets my needs, I'm just wanting to expand my options and see what makes other brands, awesome, as well.

Last edited:

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I called to place an HDS order today.
If I opt for the 300 Lumen 5k CRI 90 LED then I have to wait until May 17th for the Berryllium Copper event to end as it's first reserved for those.
I can order the 325 lumen 6.2k CRI 72 LED today.

I just waited...

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
Good choice. My personal preference in all lights, not just HDS, is 5000k and below, high cri. The lone exception is the HDS "High Noon" 5700k emitter when available. It's right there with the best sub-5000k stuff out there. HDS as a rule are bombproof, reliable , and the UI can be set up to really anything you need. Enjoy your new light!

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good choice. My personal preference in all lights, not just HDS, is 5000k and below, high cri. The lone exception is the HDS "High Noon" 5700k emitter when available. It's right there with the best sub-5000k stuff out there. HDS as a rule are bombproof, reliable , and the UI can be set up to really anything you need. Enjoy your new light!

Thank you. 6200 is closer to 5700 than 5000...so, I wasn't sure if it's better to be at 5000 or 6200 when 5700 is perfection in the HDS.
When I was told I can't order that emitter, I was tryin to determine if that was fate that I don't need an HDS, or fate that I would prefer the 6200K emitter. LOL

Sos24

Enlightened
I would say it is durability, reliability, fit & finish, and user interface (to include user programability).

Sos24

Enlightened
I called to place an HDS order today.
If I opt for the 300 Lumen 5k CRI 90 LED then I have to wait until May 17th for the Berryllium Copper event to end as it's first reserved for those.
I can order the 325 lumen 6.2k CRI 72 LED today.

I just waited...

Great Choice. The 5k HiCri is such a great light for all around use. 5k is my favorite temp because it is neutral and given the option, I always go with higher CRI lights for the better color trueness.

The 6200 is a nice light but what I consider a compromise in a way. The tint and color rendering are not as nice, but you gain brightness and throw. If the throw is what you want, then it is great. If you don't need the extra throw then the higher CRI and more neutral temp is definitely the way to go.

Last edited:

thaugen

Enlightened
I've always thought it was the little elf inside all HDS lights that separates HDS from all the rest. And they are durable, reliable, programable, backed by an amazing warranty, and just so nice to use!

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thank you. It's hard to decide because I don't have the luxury of trying before buying. The good news is that there isn't a bad decision...just one that might be better.
I've always thought I wasn't picky about color rendition...but maybe because I've never seen good color rendering. The gentlemen on the phone has a 5700K emitter.

I like a cool light...so I think I'd be happy either or.

I'm also not thrilled that my $339 light choice is not good enough for the high CRI 300 Lumens 5000k emitter until May 17th, after the Berrylium folks get their pick-of-the-litter.

Last edited:

Sos24

Enlightened
Thank you. It's hard to decide because I don't have the luxury of trying before buying. The good news is that there isn't a bad decision...just one that might be better.
I've always thought I wasn't picky about color rendition...but maybe because I've never seen good color rendering. The gentlemen on the phone has a 5700K emitter.

I like a cool light...so I think I'd be happy either or.

I'm also not thrilled that my $339 light choice is not good enough for the high CRI 300 Lumens 5000k emitter until May 17th, after the Berrylium folks get their pick-of-the-litter.

The gentleman on the phone was most likely one of two people
- Henry - Henry IS HDS. He is the one that designed HDS and builds ALL HDS flashlights.
- Hogo (Dan) - From my understanding, Dan does all the stuff associated with HDS that Henry doesn't have time for or doesn't want to deal with.

As far as waiting for the emitter, because HDS buys special emitters in small batches, they want to make sure that they don't run out from the people who pre-order.

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
The BeCu pre-order was limited numbers, pre-order, and rather exclusive and pricey. One of the perks was getting to pick emitters from limited stock/quantity. Not long ago, prior to Hogo's involvement, (Dan) there were far less emitter choices available in HDS lights. So while the wait may be unpleasant, at least the emitter you want is even an option... :)

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
The gentleman on the phone was most likely one of two people
- Henry - Henry IS HDS.

I spoke with Henry. I get restricting emitters…gotta sweeten the pot for the BeCu offering.

So while the wait may be unpleasant, at least the emitter you want is even an option... :)

ha, that jar of Italian lemonade is half-full right there!

scout24

Flashaholic
There was a time where HDS was in the Henry Ford business model- You can have any light you want as long as it's black. Emitter types were not discussed, etc. The driving force was (and is) Henry's desire to constantly improve hardware and software, little else mattered. Not many lights out there that you can throw repeatedly at a concrete wall and still have them work. And he reached that level of durability 10+ years ago, no saying what they'd tolerate today. And yes, half full, lol. :)

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can see the mystique in letting the maker craft the flashlight he/she wants to craft...then you just enjoy it.

In fact I didn't care about emitter types until I was made aware I could select the emitter type. lol
Now I don't want one unless I can choose the emitter type.
In reality, Henry and/or Dan isn't going to craft a light with 6200K 325 Lumens if it was a bad pairing.
So one should sleep well at night if getting the 6200K emitter...but instead the pursuit of the 5000K emitter keeps one restless.

Funny how the consumer psyche works.

Crabboy

Newly Enlightened
Just like any car can take you from point a to point B. The quality of the ride is what separates it from the rest.