Jetbeam        
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on best clip option for Rotary

Default Thoughts on best clip option for Rotary

The Rotary is on a short list for my next light, with the clip options being my only hesitation. I’ve done some research, but trying to see what the best clip option is. Is the universal clip a usable solution? Can you still manipulate the rotary at least through part of its rotation with one hand? Also, in pics it seems to stick out really far. Wondering if that would be annoying and snag on things. Lastly if I put one under the bezel, how much would be sticking out of the pocket? Basically how long is the bezel? Thanks!

Default Re: Thoughts on best clip option for Rotary

In my experience the best clip option for the rotary is no clip at all. If you’d like a clip on an HDS light, then a clicky is the way to go. I love the Darksuck titanium clip.

There's enough metal in the head to drill/tap holes (that way it used to be) for a clip. I've got instructions up in the forums on how to do this. Takes about 10 minutes.
    This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.
    Be prepared for the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by thaugen View Post
    In my experience the best clip option for the rotary is no clip at all. If you’d like a clip on an HDS light, then a clicky is the way to go. I love the Darksuck titanium clip.
    I tried carrying my Olight S2 Baton 2 loose in my pocket for a few days. It’s roughly the same size/weight. Really was hoping that I wouldn’t mind it, but it just wasn’t comfortable for me carrying it that way. And not interested in using a holster. Clicky just isn’t really what I’m after. The rotary interface just seems so good.
    Last edited by flightmate; 05-06-2021 at 10:12 AM.

+1, and I'm a clip guy
    In no order: HDS/Malkoff/OVEREADY/McGizmo/Sky Lumen -PSM

In my experience the best clip option for the rotary is no clip at all. If you’d like a clip on an HDS light, then a clicky is the way to go.
    That is exactly what I have, all clickies have a clip, the rotaries doesn't have a clip.
    "It makes me feel great! Smarter! More aggressive! I feel like I could... like I could... like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!!" (Purple Tentacle)

Flashaholic

In my experience the best clip option for the rotary is no clip at all.
    How do you prefer to carry an HDS Rotary without a clip?
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kerneldrop View Post
    How do you prefer to carry an HDS Rotary without a clip?
    thanks
    Pocket carry, took some getting used to, it's second nature now.

You could always use a belt holster too, Hogo makes them. Hogo also just started making pocket sheaths that clip to your pocket.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...=1#post5452120

Hogo's pics:

In no order: HDS/Malkoff/OVEREADY/McGizmo/Sky Lumen -PSM

Flashaholic

Ah, very nice. I can holster carry it no problem. My pants pockets are fine, too, for pocket carry.
    I think I like the Rotary the best, although I’m not set on anything.

I’m going to order an HDS version once I better know what I want

Sure seems like no clip is the general consensus. I’d still like to know how long the bezel is that would be sticking out of your pocket if you used an OR clip and carried it bezel up if anyone wouldn’t mind measuring.

My favorite is the fenix LD22

Another that works well is the Streamlight 1L/2L

I like the one that uses the stop screw as one of the two screws securing the clip. Tough trying to get someone to tap a hole and you might lose one or two of the lower levels.

However, when my 18500 body comes in, I will probably get another holster either that clips to the pocket and/or the swivel ulticlip
    Last edited by tech25; 05-07-2021 at 03:28 AM.

I am a clip guy.......... seriously HATE things rolling around in my pockets. HDS is not ideal for clips. I have all the official "solutions". OP, your instincts about the universal clip are correct. It stands proud a bit but not terrible. It dose not interfere with the rotary function at all. It is an "ok" solution if you want the rotary. I do highly recommend the rotary as that is what sets HDS apart.

Hopefully this might be some useful information... sorry no pictures. So, I have clicky's and rotary's with clips. I agree that the under the tail clip on the clickily is near prefect. However, I have several of my rotary's set up with a factory HDS clicky clip under the bezel mod. LOVE it! It has proven strong and water proof with the correct o-rings swap. Great thread here on how to do that.

Differences:

Clickily is bezel down carry.

rotary is bezel up carry.

It really will not matter with either the factory hds clickily clip on both the tail or the bezel of the light, they both stick up out of the packet almost exactly the same. The clickily is about 1mm or less shorter, I am willing to bet you would never notice a real difference about that 1mm or less extra poking out.

I would not let the clip situation hold you back for a great light.... try rotary first the user interface is awesome. Putting a universal clip or my strongly preferred old style clicky clip mod and you will have the best of both worlds.

Let us know what you decided. Be warned..... you will not stop with just one HDS.... they procreate like rabbits.
    Last edited by klackey; 05-07-2021 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by klackey View Post

If you drill/tap holes and install a reverse bend clip it's a bezel up or down carry.

Last edited by turbodog; 05-07-2021 at 07:59 PM.
    This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.
    Be prepared for the truth.

Back in Nov/Dec there was a conversation in the HDS Systems #23 thread about using the Neals Gadget BLF/TLF FW3A 18350 clips. There are some modifications required to make it fit which are explained in posts 374&376 of that thread. I was able to do it without any issue and it has worked well for me.
    Last edited by Sos24; 05-07-2021 at 08:45 PM.

I appreciate all the responses! Exactly what I was hoping for. Looks like there are more than enough options to make it work. I plan on ordering one in the near future here. Now just working out the details such as lens type and bezel color.

clip options for Rotary

Quote Originally Posted by Commodorefirst
    Quote Originally Posted by emarkd
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyh
    Quote Originally Posted by fyrstormer
    WTB - Novatac Pocket Clip

Quote Originally Posted by flightmate View Post
    I appreciate all the responses! Exactly what I was hoping for. Looks like there are more than enough options to make it work. I plan on ordering one in the near future here. Now just working out the details such as lens type and bezel color.
    As you’ve seen, although the HDS clip is not liked, there are other clip options for the rotary out there that will work.

Before discovering Neals clip, I used a Streamlight 1L clip for a few years. I used either a double constrictor knot or ziptie with a gutted piece of paracord to hold it securely on.

Bezel up, stock Clicky clip, and a new o-ring.
    The TK20. Yes, it still rocks- WoodsWalker

I see there are a couple options for that HDS clip, the Standard and decorative. Does one or the other tend to work better? Does the clip require any modification to the inside diameter of the ring? I also see the Oveready clips mentioned a lot and understand those require a little bit of enlarging to fit.

Quote Originally Posted by klackey View Post
    I am a clip guy.......... seriously HATE things rolling around in my pockets. HDS is not ideal for clips. I have all the official "solutions". OP, your instincts about the universal clip are correct. It stands proud a bit but not terrible. It dose not interfere with the rotary function at all. It is an "ok" solution if you want the rotary. I do highly recommend the rotary as that is what sets HDS apart.

Hopefully this might be some useful information... sorry no pictures. So, I have clicky's and rotary's with clips. I agree that the under the tail clip on the clickily is near prefect. However, I have several of my rotary's set up with a factory HDS clicky clip under the bezel mod. LOVE it! It has proven strong and water proof with the correct o-rings swap. Great thread here on how to do that.

Differences:

Clickily is bezel down carry.

It really will not matter with either the factory hds clickily clip on both the tail or the bezel of the light, they both stick up out of the packet almost exactly the same. The clickily is about 1mm or less shorter, I am willing to bet you would never notice a real difference about that 1mm or less extra poking out.

I would not let the clip situation hold you back for a great light.... try rotary first the user interface is awesome. Putting a universal clip or my strongly preferred old style clicky clip mod and you will have the best of both worlds.

Let us know what you decided. Be warned..... you will not stop with just one HDS.... they procreate like rabbits.

Quote Originally Posted by flashlight nut View Post

Another that works well is the Streamlight 1L/2L
    just ordered one to try out.

I have just used the standard HDS clips and have found no need for modification. For true water-tightness', make sure you change out the O-rings. It is very easy just getting the supplies takes a bit of effort. I do have one rotary to bezel clip conversion with stock O-rings and it has been fine as an indoor nonenvironmentally challenged light. I am in no way recommending this, but it is possible short term until the proper o rings arrive.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by tech25 View Post
    just ordered one to try out.
    Agree, I have 2 rotaries both with this club. Add a paracord lanyard cinched around the base of the clip and it’s very sturdy

Enlightened

Olight Replacement Pocket Clip for the S1 Mini, S1R II, S2R II and Warrior Mini

Nice! I may end up trying this first. I happen to have an extra Olight clip laying around the house.

My favorite is the Uni clip with ridiculously expensive prototype two way clip. But unfortunately they never made more of these past the one run. The standard Universal is fugly but it works.

My second favorite is a Moddoo Ti clip under the bezel with a spacer o-ring.

Anyone got a photo of the standard universal clip attached to the bezel of a rotary?
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    Anyone got a photo of the standard universal clip attached to the bezel of a rotary?
    does this help
    Quote Originally Posted by murrydan
    Last edited by jon_slider; 05-15-2021 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jon_slider View Post
    does this help

Quite so! Thanks, Jon. I wanted to know how far that clip extends down toward the rotary mechanism.
    “May it be a light to you in dark places, when all other lights go out.”
    J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Quote Originally Posted by Modernflame View Post
    I wanted to know how far that clip extends down toward the rotary mechanism.
    glad it helps
    so, which clip solution do you like best for Your Rotary?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast