Thoughts on best clip option for Rotary

flightmate

Newly Enlightened
The Rotary is on a short list for my next light, with the clip options being my only hesitation. I've done some research, but trying to see what the best clip option is. Is the universal clip a usable solution? Can you still manipulate the rotary at least through part of its rotation with one hand? Also, in pics it seems to stick out really far. Wondering if that would be annoying and snag on things. Lastly if I put one under the bezel, how much would be sticking out of the pocket? Basically how long is the bezel? Thanks!

thaugen

Enlightened
In my experience the best clip option for the rotary is no clip at all. If you'd like a clip on an HDS light, then a clicky is the way to go. I love the Darksuck titanium clip.

turbodog

Flashaholic
There's enough metal in the head to drill/tap holes (that way it used to be) for a clip. I've got instructions up in the forums on how to do this. Takes about 10 minutes.

flightmate

Newly Enlightened
In my experience the best clip option for the rotary is no clip at all. If you'd like a clip on an HDS light, then a clicky is the way to go. I love the Darksuck titanium clip.

I tried carrying my Olight S2 Baton 2 loose in my pocket for a few days. It's roughly the same size/weight. Really was hoping that I wouldn't mind it, but it just wasn't comfortable for me carrying it that way. And not interested in using a holster. Clicky just isn't really what I'm after. The rotary interface just seems so good.

Last edited:

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, very nice. I can holster carry it no problem. My pants pockets are fine, too, for pocket carry.
I think I like the Rotary the best, although I'm not set on anything.

I'm going to order an HDS version once I better know what I want

flightmate

Newly Enlightened
Sure seems like no clip is the general consensus. I'd still like to know how long the bezel is that would be sticking out of your pocket if you used an OR clip and carried it bezel up if anyone wouldn't mind measuring.

flashlight nut

Enlightened
My favorite is the fenix LD22
rSA7lLu.jpg

Another that works well is the Streamlight 1L/2L
zrqdDyL.jpg

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the one that uses the stop screw as one of the two screws securing the clip. Tough trying to get someone to tap a hole and you might lose one or two of the lower levels.

However, when my 18500 body comes in, I will probably get another holster either that clips to the pocket and/or the swivel ulticlip

Last edited:

klackey

Enlightened
I am a clip guy.......... seriously HATE things rolling around in my pockets. HDS is not ideal for clips. I have all the official "solutions". OP, your instincts about the universal clip are correct. It stands proud a bit but not terrible. It dose not interfere with the rotary function at all. It is an "ok" solution if you want the rotary. I do highly recommend the rotary as that is what sets HDS apart.

Hopefully this might be some useful information... sorry no pictures. So, I have clicky's and rotary's with clips. I agree that the under the tail clip on the clickily is near prefect. However, I have several of my rotary's set up with a factory HDS clicky clip under the bezel mod. LOVE it! It has proven strong and water proof with the correct o-rings swap. Great thread here on how to do that.

Differences:

Clickily is bezel down carry.

rotary is bezel up carry.

It really will not matter with either the factory hds clickily clip on both the tail or the bezel of the light, they both stick up out of the packet almost exactly the same. The clickily is about 1mm or less shorter, I am willing to bet you would never notice a real difference about that 1mm or less extra poking out.

I would not let the clip situation hold you back for a great light.... try rotary first the user interface is awesome. Putting a universal clip or my strongly preferred old style clicky clip mod and you will have the best of both worlds.

Let us know what you decided. Be warned..... you will not stop with just one HDS.... they procreate like rabbits.

Last edited:

Sos24

Enlightened
Back in Nov/Dec there was a conversation in the HDS Systems #23 thread about using the Neals Gadget BLF/TLF FW3A 18350 clips. There are some modifications required to make it fit which are explained in posts 374&376 of that thread. I was able to do it without any issue and it has worked well for me.
1da4346a6f328e927bf70dc3cc0ef206.jpg

Last edited:

flightmate

Newly Enlightened
I appreciate all the responses! Exactly what I was hoping for. Looks like there are more than enough options to make it work. I plan on ordering one in the near future here. Now just working out the details such as lens type and bezel color.

Sos24

Enlightened
I appreciate all the responses! Exactly what I was hoping for. Looks like there are more than enough options to make it work. I plan on ordering one in the near future here. Now just working out the details such as lens type and bezel color.

As you've seen, although the HDS clip is not liked, there are other clip options for the rotary out there that will work.

Before discovering Neals clip, I used a Streamlight 1L clip for a few years. I used either a double constrictor knot or ziptie with a gutted piece of paracord to hold it securely on.

e147ecc477793b2ee1a187774b1263cc.jpg

flightmate

Newly Enlightened
I see there are a couple options for that HDS clip, the Standard and decorative. Does one or the other tend to work better? Does the clip require any modification to the inside diameter of the ring? I also see the Oveready clips mentioned a lot and understand those require a little bit of enlarging to fit.

I am a clip guy.......... seriously HATE things rolling around in my pockets. HDS is not ideal for clips. I have all the official "solutions". OP, your instincts about the universal clip are correct. It stands proud a bit but not terrible. It dose not interfere with the rotary function at all. It is an "ok" solution if you want the rotary. I do highly recommend the rotary as that is what sets HDS apart.

Hopefully this might be some useful information... sorry no pictures. So, I have clicky's and rotary's with clips. I agree that the under the tail clip on the clickily is near prefect. However, I have several of my rotary's set up with a factory HDS clicky clip under the bezel mod. LOVE it! It has proven strong and water proof with the correct o-rings swap. Great thread here on how to do that.

Differences:

Clickily is bezel down carry.

rotary is bezel up carry.

It really will not matter with either the factory hds clickily clip on both the tail or the bezel of the light, they both stick up out of the packet almost exactly the same. The clickily is about 1mm or less shorter, I am willing to bet you would never notice a real difference about that 1mm or less extra poking out.

I would not let the clip situation hold you back for a great light.... try rotary first the user interface is awesome. Putting a universal clip or my strongly preferred old style clicky clip mod and you will have the best of both worlds.

Let us know what you decided. Be warned..... you will not stop with just one HDS.... they procreate like rabbits.