• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Questions on this setup: Haiku, 119v, and 123.

flightmate

Newly Enlightened
I've been reading up on this setup, and have seen references to noticeable PWM on the lower modes and possible preflash. Is that still true, or has that been programmed out? Second, does anyone know the approximate output at each of the four levels as it comes from Don? I'm looking for a flashlight that does it all well, not necessarily specific to one task. Is this combination ideal for that? Or is there another suggested tried and true setup? Thanks!

carrot

Flashaholic
This is still the case with the HiveLD-S converter as used in the Haiku. The full thread for the HiveLD-S is here, but I've copied some relevant information for you.

So what is the deal with this HIVE converter? Well it is very similar in design performance and versatility to the RUSH converter used in the Aqua and Terra Lights. It is designed primarily to be coupled with a RCR123 battery but it can also be driven by a CR123 or even 2xAA. Minimum input voltage is 1.8V. The Converter is set with a default of four output levels; 12, 114, 391, 1000 mA. Like the other converters, level shifting is accomplished with a short off cycle. I built light engines with the HIVE and the three LED's I will be using with it, XP-G2, 119V and XM-L2. I put these light engines in a Mule head and took relative measurements of lumens in my integrating sphere.

LED: XP-G2 119V XM-L2
LL 2.8 .8 2.8
L 29 13 37
M 104 70 133
H 240 172 318

There is some PWM and preflash for the lower levels, I'd guesstimate it without an oscilloscope as around 300hz.

The preflash is pretty subtle, as it is very very short. The PWM does not bother me, and it's just barely noticeable when I'm not thinking about it. It is very present on certain moving objects or if I start looking for PWM specifically, however I often forget about both of those attributes.

Another highly popular LED with roughly double the output of the 119V is the (newer) XP-L HI 4250K. You trade some high CRI for that output, but it's a very nice LED. The 119V is very nice as well, with a lovely clean tint. The 119V is still a classic that's hard to dethrone.

Last edited:

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another highly popular LED with roughly double the output of the 119V is the (newer) XP-L HI 4250K. You trade some high CRI for that output, but it's a very nice LED.

I definitely want to try this one out as well.

flightmate

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! I really like the idea of the sub lumen low on the 119v. I'll have to do some more reading on the XP-L HI.