Xtar MC4 constantly overcharges!

datumdatzgr

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I have bought an Xtar MC4 in 2020. I use it for charging unprotected 18650s. End voltage for my cells are mostly around 4.22-4.25V. The charging led remains red sometimes even around 4.27V, then i terminate charging manually. I have tested many old/new 18650 cells, various 5Vdc adapters and different charging slots. I suspected it is fake. As you can see in the images, the branding style is different from packaging. But the build quality is too good to be fake. I have also MC1, it charges exactly to 4.19-4.20V. Do you have any suggestions?
HmY0EYx.jpg
ZPGWBfv.jpg

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Branding & graphics on the unit are different to the graphics on the box and all online pictures.
Quite possibly a fake.

My XTAR chargers are my favorite

Add: if all the sudden you post praising another brand of charger, that'll send red flags to CPF Administrators.

Last edited:

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks a bit high. Genuine or not I would not continue to use it. Cell life can be extended a fair bit by terminating lower,
say 4.10v with slightly lower capacity per charge.

A have a cheap 2-bay charger which also terminates a bit high. Opening the charger I found no control circuits;
all of it being in the wall-plug adapter which specified 4.2v but obviously with some tolerance.

Dave

Thetasigma

Flashlight Enthusiast
Construction and labeling is off, going with fake or illegitimately repurposed first runs that had an issue with overcharging with a weak power supply or long cable.

Source a legitimate charger from a reputable dealer.