advice on flux core wire feed welder

turbodog

Flashaholic
Have a bit of welding to do. Am experienced with ac/dc stick welding to a passable degree.

Want to get a wire feed welder, but don't want to fool with shielding gas... and I just learned you can get flux core wire.

Does this stuff require special storage like regular rods? Does it 'go bad'? Other comments?

adnj

Enlightened
Not much special storage beyond keep it clean, dry and out of temperature extremes. The most popular rods like 6011 & 6013 don't require anything more elaborate either.

If you are welding outside, stick and flux-core may work better for you where the shielding gas of MIG may be blown away by the wind. But it's hard to beat MIG for ease of use, IMHO.

There are some pretty good FCAW (flux-core arc weld) machines avaible for very reasonable prices but better machines are usually priced higher. Take a look at the inverter welders if you want to save some weight when carrying it around.

Good luck!

Sent from my LG-V520 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

turbodog

Flashaholic
So if it's stored in a building, not climate controlled, that should be ok? I know I store the stick rods in a tube.

K2-bk-bl-rd

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's not the greatest stuff to weld with. I spent 25+ hours welding a riverfront deck railing with it, and it wasn't my favorite welding I've done! If you have done to stick welding, then it shouldn't be a problem. It doesn't seem as picky about storage as stick rods.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Well, instead of messing with something I have no experience with and worrying about wire feed issues I bought a $140 inverter dc stick welder from Amazon. Should suffice for the occasional odd job (and to fix my harrow I broke a week ago).

Ran some test beads down the side of a #7 rebar. Looks good.

turbodog

Flashaholic
For those still reading....

Welded up a drag harrow that was ripped in half by hitting a stump. The cheap $140 welder did a super job. It did a better job than the multi-thousand-dollar miller welder/genset I used to use. The hot start feature is nice!